Sponsored

October 2016 Mustang Sales

Seceda91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G35 M6 - Want a V8!!
Based on what I've seen at the track, it takes more than that.

At a minimum, it would have to be a base car with an E85 tune and headers. Stock SS traps range between 114 and 116 depending on traps and transmission. The last intake, E85 tune, axleback 5.0 I saw running was trapping 112-113 on drag radials. A couple weeks prior, in similar DA, a stock SS did maybe 10 runs total and trapped 115-116 like clockwork.

Drag Racing:
-Cradle lockout kit
-Maybe axles (depends on how far you go)
-E85 tune (not everyone wants this and E85 isn't readily available everywhere)
-Headers

Magazine tests prove the track pack suspension is inferior. This is based on the assumption that you're referring to the Ford Performance Pack, not aftermarket components.

Handling:
-Springs
-Shocks/struts
-Anti-roll bars
-Cradle lockout kit

The 6MT Camaro gets a 6060 from the factory. It's a stronger/superior transmission. Currently, I'd argue the A8 is also superior to the Mustang's A6 in terms of gearing and shift speed.

Manual transmission:
-RST + alum. flywheel, or some other clutch combo
-Ben Calimer Stage 1 (pads, welded forks, stop shift, 5th gear cones, his secret sauce)

From my experience, these upgrades are necessary if you want to drive the Mustang like a sport cars. The MT82 is a good transmission, but it has weak points that are prone to failure. I'd need these components to feel secure tracking a Mustang, or regularly taking it to the drag strip.

At that point, yes, the Mustang should be about as fast, and handle as well as a Camaro SS. How much is that? I guarantee you it's more than a 1SS with magnaride, NPP, and your choice of tranny, and labor won't be cheap for all of these components. With the SS, one would also retain their warranty, which IS a thing. Yes, I'm factoring in the 20% discount, but a 1SS with those two options would still be a deal compared to a base 5.0 after mod and labor cost. Personally, I wouldn't buy an SS unless I got 20% off, and I would only consider a 1SS. I also wouldn't buy a premium 5.0.

This is just my perspective.
Damn! Does it really take that much to compete with the SS? I would think, E85 Tune, headers and exhaust can outgun a stock SS on a straight line, tranny per tranny. Plus, Mustangs aftermarket is huuuuuge compared to Chevys.

Tracking or road course on the other hand might be more complicated though since the SS has better tires, lighter weight (Thanks to Alpha chasis), engine, diff, tranny coolers and more power. Then again, I will probably track my cars so no biggie.

With that said, the 20% is a good deal but it's hard to find the exact configuration you want so some just settle. I would probably never own a Camaro (Sorry Mustang fan since I was a kid) but if I did, I would only consider it for performance purposes.. Which means the lighter 1SS with NPP and MRC is all I would ever need/want.

Buttt.. it's never all about performance right now since the 5.0 is plenty fast for me.. and since I LOVE the way the Mustang looks and overall a better car.
Sponsored

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KorumFord.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
11 GT500 Glass Roof Coupe
Wow! That's terrible. Two months in a row behind the Camaro?! Are people really that intrigued by the 2018 Mustang?
I'm very hopeful that the 2018 Mustang is a winner. I'm normally a Mustang fan (I've owned 8 of them and still have my '14 GT now), but I do not like the '15-'17 Mustang. I recently leased a '16 Challenger Scat Pack to tide me over until the next Mustang comes along and then I'll decide if another new Mustang will end up in my driveway. If the next Mustang disappoints me like the '15-'17 then I may just end up buying my '16 Challenger at lease-end. The 6.4L Hemi and A8 trans are awesome! Don't worry, I'm keeping my '14 Mustang GT forever, though, so I'll always remain a Mustang owner. It's the last of the S197's and the best car I've ever owned!

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KorumFord.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
5,414 down 46.4% from 10,096 (2015)

Camaro has 6,277 for October
Challenger sold 4,127 for October 2016, incidentally; down 22% from October 2015.

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
Damn! Does it really take that much to compete with the SS? I would think, E85 Tune, headers and exhaust can outgun a stock SS on a straight line, tranny per tranny.
No, it doesn't take that much to compete with a Camaro, he's exaggerating. Ask anyone here who actually has a modifed Mustang GT and actually races Camaros at the track or the strip. It doesn't require extensive modifications, but it does require a few of the basic ones that most people get anyway.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
No, it doesn't take that much to compete with a Camaro, he's exaggerating. Ask anyone here who actually has a modifed Mustang GT and actually races Camaros at the track or the strip. It doesn't require extensive modifications, but it does require a few of the basic ones that most people get anyway.
Judging purely by the quick times in these forums, it seems that a tune and CAI are the only bolt ons needed to catch up to the camaros acceleration...which is what most people really care about.

Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Damn! Does it really take that much to compete with the SS? I would think, E85 Tune, headers and exhaust can outgun a stock SS on a straight line, tranny per tranny. Plus, Mustangs aftermarket is huuuuuge compared to Chevys.

Tracking or road course on the other hand might be more complicated though since the SS has better tires, lighter weight (Thanks to Alpha chasis), engine, diff, tranny coolers and more power. Then again, I will probably track my cars so no biggie.

With that said, the 20% is a good deal but it's hard to find the exact configuration you want so some just settle. I would probably never own a Camaro (Sorry Mustang fan since I was a kid) but if I did, I would only consider it for performance purposes.. Which means the lighter 1SS with NPP and MRC is all I would ever need/want.

Buttt.. it's never all about performance right now since the 5.0 is plenty fast for me.. and since I LOVE the way the Mustang looks and overall a better car.
I trapped 115+ on a tune, intake, drag radial car. I don't know what skill level the guy above is watching. But apparently he hasn't been watching decent drivers. On the handling side of things. I haven't read any magazine comparos between the ford racing track package and stock Camaros. I'm not really a road race guy. So I'll let people with more experience comment on the handling side of things.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
I'm very hopeful that the 2018 Mustang is a winner. I'm normally a Mustang fan (I've owned 8 of them and still have my '14 GT now), but I do not like the '15-'17 Mustang. I recently leased a '16 Challenger Scat Pack to tide me over until the next Mustang comes along and then I'll decide if another new Mustang will end up in my driveway. If the next Mustang disappoints me like the '15-'17 then I may just end up buying my '16 Challenger at lease-end. The 6.4L Hemi and A8 trans are awesome! Don't worry, I'm keeping my '14 Mustang GT forever, though, so I'll always remain a Mustang owner. It's the last of the S197's and the best car I've ever owned!
What disappointed you so much with the S550s?

legendary mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 mustang gt
I could not agree more, while the camaro is the better performance car, the Mustang is the more well rounded car. EVEN with the discounts the Mustang is still the better choice cause the camaro just had too many flaws, however it does suck that we can't make fun of the camaro fan boys anymore each month due to the dismal sales numbers. Hopefully when the refresh is out it will go back to the way it was.
Oh we can still make fun at the CRAPMARO boys.They out sold us,thanks to heavy discounts.Thats the only way they can beat us.:lol::cheers::ford:

Sponsored

Seceda91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G35 M6 - Want a V8!!
Yeah figured that, looking at the fastlist from this forum, the Coyote is NOT HARD to go fast at all and shouldn't take much.

Judging purely by the quick times in these forums, it seems that a tune and CAI are the only bolt ons needed to catch up to the camaros acceleration...which is what most people really care about.
I agree, a good E85 tune + CAI or Exhaust IMO is good enough. Not sure about the Bama tune or Lund tunes though although it does feels fast. Guess I'll have to find out once I get it!

I trapped 115+ on a tune, intake, drag radial car. I don't know what skill level the guy above is watching. But apparently he hasn't been watching decent drivers. On the handling side of things. I haven't read any magazine comparos between the ford racing track package and stock Camaros. I'm not really a road race guy. So I'll let people with more experience comment on the handling side of things.
Yeah man, I seen the vids of your Stang vs the SS's.. Killing it! Way to represent this for the Mustang community. I used to want to auto X but seemed like straight line speed is more exciting. Then again, I wouldn't a fat V8 to hit corners hard like a Miata anyways. If the Stang can hit handle really well from factory great! If not, it's okay lol

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I had never driven a Mustang in my life till I drove a 2016 Mustang GT earlier this year with the PP and 6 speed. The last Mustang I rode in was a 1996 GT and my knees hit the dashboard on the passenger side. They did not cater well to tall drivers when you're 6'6". Same reason I can't drive a Vette. I can't even ride in my friend's '14 Stingray because the leg room is atrocious.

I was very impressed with the legroom and the ride in the Mustang GT. The interior was more upscale than prior gen muscle cars I've been in. The 3.73 gears weren't an issue because my '02 SS had 3.73's as well. The first hard pull I did was outstanding. To say any of these cars are under powered is blasphemous. 435 hp in a 30-38k car is nuts. I may have just been out of the Camaro/Mustang area for a while, but it put a huge smile on my face from the engine sounds to the hard pulls. The visibility is outstanding.

I drove my sister's 2012 Dodge Challenger R/T. Ride is insanely smooth, very roomy car. Also feels very large and muscle like. Even against the Mustang, I would still pick the Mustang due to a more athletic feel and not feeling like you're driving a tank. Something a bit more agile feeling with the Mustang on corners.

Rebellion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange GT
Man...if Ford could only come up with Magneride on a Mustang. That's about the only must-have I'd get if I got a Camaro.

Hopefully by 2021, they'll come up with a good manual trans and Mangeride.

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KorumFord.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
What disappointed you so much with the S550s?
There are some very good points on the S550 (interior, power, SYNC3, rear 3/4 view, etc.), but the overall look just doesn't call to me. I can't stand how the hood looks from the driver's seat - how long it is, how hard it is to see the corners, and the character lines on the hood. I think the front end styling is terrible. I find it sad the the running horse tribar emblem with the red/white/blue stripe is gone from the entire car (world car now, so no red/white/blue to represent America?). The rear of the car looks too low (I like a little bit of rake to keep a muscular look).

Again, I'm a long time Mustang enthusiast, so I'm really hoping that the '18 refresh speaks to me. If not, perhaps the upcoming S650 Mustang will be the one. My Challenger Scat Pack lease ends in the summer of 2019, so we'll see what Mustang has to offer me then. In the meantime, I'll keep whooping up on Camaros at our local dragstrips with my '14 Mustang GT and cruising in style with my big/comfortable, daily driver Scat Pack.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
There are some very good points on the S550 (interior, power, SYNC3, rear 3/4 view, etc.), but the overall look just doesn't call to me. I can't stand how the hood looks from the driver's seat - how long it is, how hard it is to see the corners, and the character lines on the hood. I think the front end styling is terrible. I find it sad the the running horse tribar emblem with the red/white/blue stripe is gone from the entire car (world car now, so no red/white/blue to represent America?). The rear of the car looks too low (I like a little bit of rake to keep a muscular look).

Again, I'm a long time Mustang enthusiast, so I'm really hoping that the '18 refresh speaks to me. If not, perhaps the upcoming S650 Mustang will be the one. My Challenger Scat Pack lease ends in the summer of 2019, so we'll see what Mustang has to offer me then. In the meantime, I'll keep whooping up on Camaros at our local dragstrips with my '14 Mustang GT and cruising in style with my big/comfortable, daily driver Scat Pack.
The '18 refresh won't have any sheetmetal changes outside of possibly GT350-style fenders. Body sides, roof, rear quarter will all be the same. The only exterior changes will be minor to hood, front & rear fascias/lights. It's not likely you'll like the '18 much more than the '15-17.
Sponsored