OBD pinout diagram

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 premium
Can someone help me out with this? Need it for the sensor based flex fuel guide I’m working on. PM welcome
Sponsored

Boyd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Boyd
Vehicle(s)
17 F5 Cobra, 93 Fox race car, 21 Mach 1, 23 F150
Not sure how much this will help unless you know what module you need to talk to... its all digital data busses and high speed module communications. But here's the pinout for a '21....

PXL_20240411_111918532.MP.jpg

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
One more.

obdii pinout 001.png

OP
OP
sms2022

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
Not sure how much this will help unless you know what module you need to talk to... its all digital data busses and high speed module communications. But here's the pinout for a '21....

PXL_20240411_111918532.MP.jpg
Thanks. This is perfect.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Maybe I'm naive or uninformed but I thought all OBD was the same. I thought standardization was the purpose of OBD.
No?

Sponsored

OP
OP
sms2022

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
Maybe I'm naive or uninformed but I thought all OBD was the same. I thought standardization was the purpose of OBD.
No?
the ford diagram helps a lot because ford uses the same terms between the ObD port and the port I’m trying to tie into, which in this case is the connector on the back of the DLC.

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
No?
It all depends on what years you're speaking of because the early OBDII had minimally used terminals and was prior to CAN being implemented. Newer vehicles (like current models) used a lot more pins on the DLC for various data functions.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
It all depends on what years you're speaking of because the early OBDII had minimally used terminals and was prior to CAN being implemented. Newer vehicles (like current models) used a lot more pins on the DLC for various data functions.
That makes sense as far as it goes. It doesn't really answer the question though.
OBD2 is a standardized protocol, right? Data type"A" is going to be on a particular pin always, across all platforms, right? And if data types B, C, D, etc are added they will be assigned different pins, right? And that data, or equivalent, will be on those pins whether scanning a Ford, Chrysler, BMW,ect? Right? Isn't that what a standardized protocol is and why OBD/OBD 2 was created?

OP
OP
sms2022

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
That makes sense as far as it goes. It doesn't really answer the question though.
OBD2 is a standardized protocol, right? Data type"A" is going to be on a particular pin always, across all platforms, right? And if data types B, C, D, etc are added they will be assigned different pins, right? And that data, or equivalent, will be on those pins whether scanning a Ford, Chrysler, BMW,ect? Right? Isn't that what a standardized protocol is and why OBD/OBD 2 was created?
I think for basic DTC reading all you need is power, ground, and HSCan+ and -, so yes, but not all the pins are used on my obd port plus I’m plugging in a j2534 ford scanner so I’m sure there is customization available between manufacturers.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
I think for basic DTC reading all you need is power, ground, and HSCan+ and -, so yes, but not all the pins are used on my obd port plus I’m plugging in a j2534 ford scanner so I’m sure there is customization available between manufacturers.
That made a kind of sense to me and got me curious (more curious?l). I am aware that most (all?) manufacturers have proprietary tools/software. I didn't think that they utilized different pins in the port though, rather software coding unusable by generic tools. I found an article (link below) that seems to support both the thought of assigned pins and proprietary software used on those existing pins. It's a good article with a lot of information to help understand basic OBD 2 and its history. Why it came to be, what it has evolved to and what may be coming. I found the blurb on OBD 3 interesting and concerning. If implemented it could simultaneously make the data from your car available anytime/anywhere to the authorities and prevent any access outside of by the dealer/manufacturers. Scary shit!
Anyway, thanks for the help guys and here's that article if anyone is interested.
https://www.csselectronics.com/pages/obd2-explained-simple-intro

Garfy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT, 2012 Honda Fit Sport
The "standardization" of the DLC was just for the "generic OBDII" data. I forgot if it was 16 pids or whatever the number of pids that were mandatory for manufacturers to deliver on the DLC. The CAN data stuff can vary between manufacturers as to what they will transmit over those data lines and the proprietary data can vary so unless you have a manufacturer specific scantool (or an aftermarket professional grade like OTC, Snap-On, Autel, etc.) you may not have access to everything there.
Sponsored