Sponsored

- Non-R Track Day Drive-by Noise Level—OEM exhaust?

tdzee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
85 Corvette, 04 Corvette Z16, 08 350Z NISMO, 15 CTS-V Coupe, 17 GT350R
At our track, we run continuous sound monitoring. Measured at 50 ft from track and at property edge. My R typically runs right at the track limit of 98 dB. I take no precaution whatever. A data point. FWIW
Sponsored

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
I ran at Laguna when it first got my car, and can corroborate.

In “loud mode” I was hitting 98dB at the sound booth.

In “quiet mode” I was in the 91dB range. Right on the edge. I did not have any valve disabling modules, so I would feather the throttle until the exhaust tone would start to change and then back off a hair.

-T

OP
OP

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Thanks for the data points. Ordering modules and extensions. That should allow me to test the system and easily install the modules if/when I get flagged.

nordique14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Magnetic Gray (J1601)
Thanks for the data points. Ordering modules and extensions. That should allow me to test the system and easily install the modules if/when I get flagged.
Install is pretty easy. Just use a small flathead to uncouple the connector. I use zip ties to keep things from flapping around. Only problem is that it is near the exhaust. So it is something you will want to do before it gets hot down there.

Wooly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R Tech, Porsche 991GT3
Thanks to nordique14 for the help on getting me set up. The exhaust switch no longer works at it is not supposed to with the Grimmspeed modules hooked up. It still sounds pretty darn loud so I am worried about passing sound next month at Laguna Seca. I’ll just have to wait and see. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Sponsored

aguilar310

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Boss 302 #1235
Do yourself a favor and DO NOT bring it up to any of the track organizers or track officials. I've seen people do this before thinking it would some how help their case and it does not. It only red flags you from the start. Just drive and stay to the inside of turn 5. Have Fun!

Wooly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do yourself a favor and DO NOT bring it up to any of the track organizers or track officials. I've seen people do this before thinking it would some how help their case and it does not. It only red flags you from the start. Just drive and stay to the inside of turn 5. Have Fun!
Thanks for the tip. :headbang:

Wooly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grimmspeed valve defeat does not get the valves to stay closed. It keeps the exhaust valve in the state it was in when the module was plugged in. So if you had it in loud mode when you put the modules in, then the car will not go into quiet mode. So the idea will be to put the modules when the car is in quiet mode so it stays that way. The extension cables make installation easier. All in, it is a solution for a little over $100

I spoke with a guy who ran his GT350 at Laguna Seca with Grimmspeed modules so his car stayed in quiet mode. He asked the sound guy what he was getting and apparently just under 91db. The limit that day was 90 but they give you a 1db grace. Other people in GT350s had to lift by the sound trap or they would get meatballed (apparently hitting around 97db).

I used this setup at Laguna Seca (90db day) and no issues. I did run one gear higher past the sound booth just to be safe though.

Grimmspeed exhaust defeat module (you need 2 of them):
http://www.grimmspeed.com/exhaust-valve-defeat-module/

Extension cable Ford part numbers:
FR3Z 14A411 H (Driver Side)
FR3Z 14A411 J (Passenger Side)
I was having trouble keeping the valves closed even with the Grimmspeed module connected. So I invited a friend over and we experimented with a few things and learned exactly how this works. Finally mine seems to be working but hopefully this will help others who have the same problem I did.

Initially what I did was to drive the car in quiet/valves closed mode. Then I would pull the car into the garage turn off the car. I would get under the car and disconnect the Stock exhaust wire and then plug in the Grimmspeed wiring and module. Then I would start the car. The valve switch in the car was indeed deactivated as it should be, but when I drove the car it was loud. It had indeed disabled the valve switch control but the valves were in the open position. This would be great if you wanted your valves open all the time without having to use the switch. Unfortunately, this would not help me at Laguna Seca on a 92 dB day. I couldn’t figure out how to get the valves to stay closed.
So, we did some experiments to find out what the car actually does at various points in the start up and driving process. Here’s what we learned.
When you shut off your car (even in quiet exhaust mode), the exhaust valve opens. When you restart the car, the valve flutters back and forth for a moment but then closes. If you flip your exhaust switch on the console to the open position, it opens and you hear it immediately.
Since the valve is open when the car is not running, we thought let’s start the car, let the valves close, and then disconnect the stock wire and hook up the grimmspeed setup while the car is actually running and see if it would then remain closed. We did and it worked. Unfortunately, it doesn’t take long for things to get very hot down there.
Then we put all the exhaust connections back to stock and tried the same thing but did not actually start the engine, but rather just turned on the cars electrical power by pushing the start button without having the clutch in. The valves closed just as they did when we started the engine. We switched the stock wire to the grimmspeed setup and low and behold the valves stayed closed when we started the engine.
So to summarize. In order for the grimmspeed setup to work, you must change the connections while the cars valves are closed and the car has power running but the engine does NOT need to be running. The easiest way to do this is just to turn your car off. Get out and wait for all the electrical to shut off in the car. The valves will open. Then turn the power on in the car by pushing the start button without having the clutch in. This defaults the cars exhaust back to the closed valve condition. Then without starting the cars engine, get under the car, disconnect the stock exhaust wiring plug, and plug in the grimmspeed wire and module. This should now keep the valves closed, even when starting and stoping the car, and deactivate the valve function from inside the car allowing track driving at lower dB levels.
If you shine a flashlight into the inner exhaust pipe on either side you can see if the valve is open or closed.

Sponsored

raiderjatt02

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jessie
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Track Pack; 1995 GT - Saleen Clone
I like this solution better than the Grimmspeed one. This might be the way I do it before I go to Laguna Seca again. Last time at Thunderhill I met a guy with a GT3 that had GPS controlled exhaust valves! He said it automatically closes them as he passes the sound booth, then opens back up once he's past it. Lap after lap after lap. I want THAT system!

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Yup, they program the valves to tie into the oem gps. It requires a little bit of coding and programming.

I put the controller on my car right on the shifter bezel directly in front of 3rd gear so when I down shift into 3rd before he tower I close the valves.

Managed 90.4db which is amazing. I have a R exhaust as well so this will Work on all 350s

nordique14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Magnetic Gray (J1601)
Just wanted to update this thread with more info. I ran at Laguna Seca on Sunday. On my 3rd session,I failed sound. Hit 92db. It was a 90db day and they give you 2db grace, so you get meatballed when you hit 92db. I was okay the rest of the day, but I must have finally been going fast enough to be a high enough RPM in 3rd to fail sound. The rest of the day, I decided to stay in 4th going up the hill and shift to 3rd just before turn 6 instead. Not the fastest way around the track, but certainly better than losing a session to failing sound.

Also, I just picked up the AWE SwitchPath module on a Black Friday sale. Decided it was a better route to go instead of the Grimmspeed modules. Install was a bit of pain. I initially could not figure out how to unplug the factory harness from the exhaust value actuator module. Unless you remove the diffuser (which I did not want to do), you need to do it by feel. I finally decided to snap a pic and see what the connector looked like. Once I saw it, I understood what I was doing wrong. I used small flathead screwdriver to release the little tab red that sticks out the bottom. Still not fun trying to find it by feel, but only took a few minutes of fiddling on each side to finally get it to disconnect. Pic below is what I am talking about. Rest of the install is not bad except for all of the zip ties needed to keep the cables out of the way. Apparently the control box can be installed on either side. I found the passenger side has better places to zip tie the control box.
exhaust valve actuator zoom in.jpg

Stang 19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Ford Performance Blue
Sorry for the late questioning on this thread...to get up to speed ...So are we saying that our cars running in quiet mode go to loud mode automatically on full throttle ? Even if we are in sport or track and we hit the dashboard mount it switched to close the valve ?

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
Sorry for the late questioning on this thread...to get up to speed ...So are we saying that our cars running in quiet mode go to loud mode automatically on full throttle ? Even if we are in sport or track and we hit the dashboard mount it switched to close the valve ?
The mode selection defines the default behavior, but there are conditions that override the default.

Wide Open Throttle opens the valves no matter the setting.

6th gear closes the valves no matter the setting.

Hence the need for a way to always close the valves for tracks that have noise restrictions.

-T
Sponsored