New clutch…won’t go into gear

Socal Stangman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
So I did a new clutch on my 2015 GT. I went to start it up today and now I have an issue, when it’s running, it won’t go into gear. It’s weird when I try to start it in gear, it’s like the clutch isn’t even doing anything, the car will lurch like I’m not even holding down the clutch. The clutch it a Exedy Stage 4 dual disc if that matters, any idea what I did wrong?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Socal Stangman

Socal Stangman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
BTW, the clutch pedal feels like it has enough pressure so I’m not sure that’s the problem. I pumped it a lot . I know this will be the first thing people will say…

Sponsored

OP
OP
Socal Stangman

Socal Stangman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Bleed it.
Have to be honest, don’t think think this is the issue. Maybe I was hoping someone had the “magic answer “ for me, but sadly I think I’ll need to drop the trans again. I was hoping to avoid this but guess not…sucks.

TonyT930

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Convertible in Ruby Red
Have to be honest, don’t think think this is the issue. Maybe I was hoping someone had the “magic answer “ for me, but sadly I think I’ll need to drop the trans again. I was hoping to avoid this but guess not…sucks.
Do you have the proper amount of oil in the transmission? Would that cause your issue? Idk

Johnny Rockit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Johnny
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT 6-speed. 2015 F-250XLT,73 Torino
If it shifts fine when no engine running, definitely a clutch problem. Whether it is the hydraulics or the clutch itself or both, you will find out. I would try anything before pulling the trans again.

Ls_Eater

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Parker
Vehicle(s)
2018 Magnetic Metallic GT
Vehicle Showcase
New slave cylinder? Bench bleed the slave before hand? Proper torque specs on the pressure plate/floater? Discs in the correct orientation? Did you have the alignment tool properly installed during torquing procedure? the Plastic ones tend to droop a bit and can cause disc mis-alignment.

Sponsored

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
If the clutch is bleed properly and the slave is good then it's a clutch issue. Maybe you installed something in the wrong place or the clearances between the discs and floater plate are incorrect.

OP
OP
Socal Stangman

Socal Stangman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Well, I tried everything. I did replace everything, slave cylinder as well. I did bench bleed it also. It didn’t appear to be a hydraulic issue. I pumped the pedal a bunch over several days and it didn’t help. Tonight I had to drop the trans. I’m don’t see anything obvious. I don’t think the plates are installed backwards because some of it came assembled already so I didn’t have to mess with it, only the disc by the flywheel. I did torque everything properly, at least according to what I could find online. I reached out to Exedy many times and I couldn’t get any response from them. I sent 5 or 6 emails asking them about this clutch (I bought I open box from a guy on CL) and never a response. I called and was waiting for a return call and it never happened….fuck Exedy. I paid 300.00 for the clutch and flywheel, I’m trashing it and counting my losses and moving on. I’m ordering a different clutch…

GrayS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Did you seat your pressure plate evenly? If not, your car will struggle to go into gear.

This is the result of a pressure plate installed unevenly.
Sponsored