Sponsored

New axles or new front wheels and tires?

CarTramrod

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyrel
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang GT PP1, 1988 Ford Mustang LX
So for my 40th birthday my wife said I can buy myself either new axles (geforce) or matching front weld venturas with tires. My car is fbo e85 and I will be going boost this winter. Which should I do. On one hand the axles would be nice so I could truly launch my car safely and the axles are my weak point. I already have a calimers stage 3 mt82 with a mantic clutch and a qa1 carbon fiber driveshaft. The wheels would drop some considerable weight off the front end and make it a little faster whereas the axles won't. Also if I break my axles I have to get new ones whereas I font have to get new front wheels for any reason really. Not sure what route to go?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
40’is a big one.

I’d accept the wheels from your wife and then buy yourself the axles. You deserve it!

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Another vote for getting the axles first…

Do what everyone used to do in the original 80’s-90’s 5.0 movement - use a set of “spare tire rims” up front with proper race skinnies on them to drop weight…

IMO, the axles are more important…

OP
OP
CarTramrod

CarTramrod

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyrel
Vehicle(s)
Another vote for getting the axles first…

Do what everyone used to do in the original 80’s-90’s 5.0 movement - use a set of “spare tire rims” up front with proper race skinnies on them to drop weight…

IMO, the axles are more important…
It's a pp1 so it has the brembos so they have to be some 19" spares lol

Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
I vote wheels.
If at some point the axles break they will have to be replaced and that's always a good time to upgrade.
You could end up with both and, really, aren't the stock axles good for quite a bit more than stock anyway? You may never "need" axles and you'll have the wheels.

OP
OP
CarTramrod

CarTramrod

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tyrel
Vehicle(s)
I vote wheels.
If at some point the axles break they will have to be replaced and that's always a good time to upgrade.
You could end up with both and, really, aren't the stock axles good for quite a bit more than stock anyway? You may never "need" axles and you'll have the wheels.
The stock axles can break at my current power level especially with the mickey thompson et street r's on the back.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Yes

🤭
Sponsored