Need an Alignment Already - Normal?

15Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
I only have 26k miles. My dealer told me my front toe alignment is out and it needs a $70 alignment. Is this normal at such a low mileage?

I do not run suspension mods and have the stock 18" tire/wheel. I've never had to do an alignment on a car with 26k miles. When I brought it in for other work they check the alignment right in the service drive by putting those devices on the wheels and lining it up with a laser. Is this an accurate way of checking it? While its true we do have some bumpy roads in this town I haven't hit anything unusual.

What causes toe to go out of spec? I'm wondering if there's some sort of suspension issue needing a repair or is this just from bumps?
Sponsored

brandonsmash

SMASH!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - PP
Hell, I'm at 8k and needed an alignment. I just bought one of those "lifetime" services because I get picky and don't feel like spending $70 each time.

OP
OP

15Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
Hmmm....I didn't think of that. What is a reputable national chain that sells lifetime alignments?

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Mileage means very little, as alignment specs can be out of whack from wheel/suspension contact with the road. So wheels can be out of alignment after a mile if you hit a big ass pothole or curb.

Most likely, you just rode over some harsh surfaces and threw the alignment off even after only 26k miles. Although there could be the possibility that the place is screwing you and just recommending stuff to make money.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
New cars are never properly aligned. They just roughly align the wheels and call it good.

Sponsored

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
A 15 with 26K on it isn't low miles or anything like that and I'd certainly expect an adjustment this far in to ownership. $70 is the going rate. They used to check it for $40, and then another $40 for the alignment. Now they seem to check it for free. In my area that's what I see.

Built4Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium White
I just added aftermarket wheels at 4700 miles and it needed an alignment. I splurged for the $200 lifetime alignment, what a steal on a new car.

OP
OP

15Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
Well the thing about lifetime alignments is I don't want to be high-pressured into fixing things they may find wrong; since they're not getting paid for subsequent alignments they may try and up-sell more stuff that I may not even need.

If the toe is out what does that affect? Tire wear? My car seems to ride straight when I take my hand off the wheel on a smooth straight road.

Built4Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium White
Well the thing about lifetime alignments is I don't want to be high-pressured into fixing things they may find wrong; since they're not getting paid for subsequent alignments they may try and up-sell more stuff that I may not even need.

If the toe is out what does that affect? Tire wear? My car seems to ride straight when I take my hand off the wheel on a smooth straight road.
They are going to have a tough time up-selling me anything when I'm covered bumper to bumper by the factory.

SAL-E

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Ruby Red
If the car is tracking straight and tire wear is not unusual, I would leave it alone. I had a car for 200k miles, and the alignment was NEVER touched in all those miles. Tires wore evenly and lasted around 60k miles per set. If your toe is off more than just a little, you will likely see uneven tire wear and lane drifting due to road contour.
Sponsored