Soonertim4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2021 twister orange gt performance pack
Whats up guys/gals
Ok. The other day i started a thread on installing 1" spacers on my 21 gtpp with the nickel luster wheel. The main part i didnt add in thread was that i have a magnaride car. Now keep in mind when i first got the car i wasnt really digging the nickel luster wheels. Now i am and i really want the wheels to sit flush. After doing some research and reading reviews i decided on ordering 4- 1" spacers off of amazon. On about 90% of the reviews everything went perfect for them. Keep in mind i was looking at several brands with reviews. Out of the reviews, 2 of them where magnaride cars. One had to trim studs and one didnt.
Well got my spacers today (and i was a happy little boy on christmas morning) so i immediately went to install them on my car. Turns out i am going to have to trim about a 1/4" off my front studs. Didnt try the back from disappointment.
Anyways my question is. If i do decide to cut the 1/4" off my front studs, would that be detrimental if i ever buy aftermarket wheels? Thanks in advance for replys
Sponsored

Hillsndale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 Magneride Magnetic Grey
You are smart to ask that question.

It depends on what wheels you are looking to change to. You need enough stud length so that the nuts go on a little more than the diameter of the studs. So you need at least 14mm stud length, actually slightly more because the starting threads are not full depth. Mustangs have 14mm studs with a 1.5mm pitch, so for every turn of the nut it goes on 1.5mm.

9.5 turns times 1.5mm equals about 14mm of thread engagement.

Make sense? 14mm is what you need for the nuts to screw onto.

Hillsndale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 Magneride Magnetic Grey
Fyi, you can have longer studs installed if needed.

OP
OP
Soonertim4

Soonertim4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
You are smart to ask that question.

It depends on what wheels you are looking to change to. You need enough stud length so that the nuts go on a little more than the diameter of the studs. So you need at least 14mm stud length, actually slightly more because the starting threads are not full depth. Mustangs have 14mm studs with a 1.5mm pitch, so for every turn of the nut it goes on 1.5mm.

9.5 turns times 1.5mm equals about 14mm of thread engagement.

Make sense? 14mm is what you need for the nuts to screw onto.
Yeah if i do decide to do it i will not be to worried about because if i ever do get aftermarket wheels i will just replace the studs. That way there will be no worries if its going to work.
thanks for reply

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
What am I missing? How does adding spacers make the studs too long? Intuitively adding a spacer should make the studs shorter? Unless they are replacing wider ones, is that it?

For the stud question, you can always have any you cut shorter replaced with new studs.
Or you could get open end lug nuts and keep the stock length studs.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Soonertim4

Soonertim4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
What am I missing? How does adding spacers make the studs too long? Intuitively adding a spacer should make the studs shorter? Unless they are replacing wider ones, is that it?

For the stud question, you can always have any you cut shorter replaced with new studs.
Or you could get open end lug nuts and keep the stock length studs.
The factory lugs stick out pass the spacer at least on the front by a 1/4". So i have to trim that much for the spacer to sit flush with the wheel. If i do that and ever go to aftermarket wheels will just replace the studs with new

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
How are you going to trim the studs? Remove the hub and mill them down? That’s the best way I can think of to get an accurate and precise cut and not risk taking too much off, or damaging the threads. Short of a mill, you’d have to double nut the studs and grind off the excess down to the outer nut to try and get them even.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
The factory lugs stick out pass the spacer at least on the front by a 1/4". So i have to trim that much for the spacer to sit flush with the wheel.
Still doesn't make sense to me. Adding a spacer between the hub and the wheel should make the effective stud length shorter.
But as long as you've got a handle on it do what you have to and enjoy.

OP
OP
Soonertim4

Soonertim4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
How are you going to trim the studs? Remove the hub and mill them down? That’s the best way I can think of to get an accurate and precise cut and not risk taking too much off, or damaging the threads. Short of a mill, you’d have to double nut the studs and grind off the excess down to the outer nut to try and get them even.
Will definitely use the nut as a guard. I'm thinking about using my dremel tool with a fine metal cutting blade to cut and then use a grinding wheel to round it off if needed

OP
OP
Soonertim4

Soonertim4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
Still doesn't make sense to me. Adding a spacer between the hub and the wheel should make the effective stud length shorter.
Dunno. I know the spacer is 1" thick and the lugs on the front are 1 1/4" long

Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt

cerbomark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach1 700, 6 Spd.#5558
don t know but there are different types of spacers. some use existing studs for wheels and some use existing stud to affix spacer and then an additional set of studs come off spacer... ???

cerbomark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach1 700, 6 Spd.#5558
buy a specific set made for that car or forget the idea. Mix and match and poor quality can cause big issues. I have a set on my New Outback but they are designed specifically for that car and OEM wheel, no guessing.
Quality of the studs, nuts etc is paramount !

OP
OP
Soonertim4

Soonertim4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
Not sure which spacers you have, but here’s something you should at least be aware of and maybe give yours a thorough inspection periodically. Not sure what caused this (perhaps too much torque; I dunno). It may have just been a fluke but a heads up is always a good thing.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/psa-i-had-a-cracked-steeda-wheel-spacer.157960/
Thanks for the info. In his case I'm not sure, but in mine the spacer and the wheel had a gap. I want the wheel to sit flush on the spacer. In the specs it said to torque to 85-90 feet pounds. Will say though out of all the reviews, its the few bad ones that are setting me back

OP
OP
Soonertim4

Soonertim4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
don t know but there are different types of spacers. some use existing studs for wheels and some use existing stud to affix spacer and then an additional set of studs come off spacer... ???
Mine have holes for the factory lugs with nuts and then lugs coming off of spacer
Sponsored