Sponsored

Mustang GT. What RPM is it okay to Floor it?

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
What’s up with you guys, aren’t you supposed to get it low enough that the anti stall kicks in and it drives itself … ? :giggle:

WD :like:
🤣 I love the anti-stall . When I got to do the tik tok rolling car trend and in traffic :like:

Just kidding on the Tik Tok car rolling though haha. That's a Gen Z specialty.

1716409683551-wj.png
Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
This, anyway people think that "lugging it" means going at lower RPMs at lower gears, and that's not lugging, it's just proper operation.
My A10 sits happily at 1.3k RPMs for ages, maybe even less.
Even modern turbo cars tend to stay lower with the RPMs while turbo pressures are not that high.

You can definitely feel any engine when you are too low with the RPMs in a too high gear, it will vibrate and make a kind of grunting noise.
Yep, I regularly cruise in 6th gear at 2000RPM, the car will let you do it just fine, even in hilly terrain. I've logged the calculated load as well and it never reaches a point that's concerning. I wouldn't floor it uphill in 6th, but if you ever do something the car doesn't like you'll definitely know about it. You'll get a throttle closure lol

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
What’s up with you guys, aren’t you supposed to get it low enough that the anti stall kicks in and it drives itself
I do that in bumper to bumper.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I think I may have been the one that mentioned lugging... I am supercharged AND manual. :)

This, anyway people think that "lugging it" means going at lower RPMs at lower gears, and that's not lugging, it's just proper operation.
My A10 sits happily at 1.3k RPMs for ages, maybe even less.
Even modern turbo cars tend to stay lower with the RPMs while turbo pressures are not that high.

You can definitely feel any engine when you are too low with the RPMs in a too high gear, it will vibrate and make a kind of grunting noise.

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Mercedes A250 4Matic (W177)
LOL you have an A10. Your definition of Lugging is different than a Manual sorry. Automatic will downshift as needed per demand, plus you have short gear ratios. It wont let you floor it in third going 1k rpms. That right there would cause hesitation, jerk, lugging on the engine. With experience no Manual driver will keep it that low, you can feel when you got to downshift.
My experience of lugging is based upon the various cars that I owned, now and in the past, as well as all the cars I've had the fortune (and sometimes regret) to drive.
Not just 1 Mustang with an automatic transmission (besides it's three, I own the 10R80, but I drove the 6R as well the 6MT, and the 6MT has a taller final drive here on this side of the pond).

Still lugging is an engine thing not a transmission thing, you gotta operate that engine properly and mastering the transmission, whatever that happens to be, is part of operating the car.

Let's agree on the definition of lugging as putting too much of a load combined with a too low rotational speed of the engine.
How you get there, it's irrelevant (be it going uphill, towing a rock or having the wrong gear), as it is the transmission you are using because, in both cases, you are doing it wrong.

Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
true, but that's WELL past the point of you should've shifted a LOT sooner.
What’s up with you guys, aren’t you supposed to get it low enough that the anti stall kicks in and it drives itself … ? :giggle:

I do that in bumper to bumper.
Yeah I use it as a lazy way to set off from a dead stop in start / stop / crawling traffic, but at any other time if it intervened, I would consider it a failure of my driving - including normal starts from a dead stop with an open road / traffic moving in a normal manor type situations.

My initial comment was meant as sarcasm, and more directed at the original topic of when to shift at higher road speeds / in higher gears so as not to lug the engine :like:

JetGray_Mach1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 (HP)
Yeah I use it as a lazy way to set off from a dead stop in start / stop / crawling traffic, but at any other time if it intervened, I would consider it a failure of my driving - including normal starts from a dead stop with an open road / traffic moving in a normal manor type situations.

My initial comment was meant as sarcasm, and more directed at the original topic of when to shift at higher road speeds / in higher gears so as not to lug the engine :like:

Really? That is the "FIRST" time I sense any sarcasm from you! :like:

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Entertaining thread.

Fastest way to shift is with ign cut no lift. second fastest is with no clutch, but these modern rev hang POS's suck balls and you cannot do it.

Lugging is when you push the gas and the engine does not respond. Years ago it would be accompanied with knocking sounds.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Entertaining thread.

Fastest way to shift is with ign cut no lift. second fastest is with no clutch, but these modern rev hang POS's suck balls and you cannot do it.

Lugging is when you push the gas and the engine does not respond. Years ago it would be accompanied with knocking sounds.
Yeah I read with the coyote electronic throttle the gas pedal is a torque request, not an increased airflow via throttle plate opening, so the engine can kind of ignore you and keep itself safe from knock.

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 premium
Yeah I read with the coyote electronic throttle the gas pedal is a torque request, not an increased airflow via throttle plate opening, so the engine can kind of ignore you and keep itself safe from knock.
Exactly watch PIDs for torque commanded and torque actual and ect commanded/actual and torque source

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I have an S550 Mustang GT '21 Manual transmission. It's my first Manual and I believe I have driving normally figured out. Just not sure how far I should downshift and at what RPM it's okay to WOT (Wide Open Throttle) it? I know flooring it @2k rpm puts stress on the engine, but what if it's in 2nd gear? Or should I drop to first is it okay to floor it at 3500 RPM? What about WOT in 4th @ 3k - 3500 RPM, or should I drop it to 3rd @ 5k RPM then open it up?
I'm not wanting to put undue stress on the engine so any help would be appreciated.
Any RPM, The ford PCM has torque management which limits the torque maximum by RPM and load. You can only request what the pcm will give you
Sponsored