Mustang GT Top Speed?

craigsix

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
craig
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Tuned vs tuned, the 3.31 is still going to give you a higher top speed.

7500 rpm only get you to 161.5 in 5th with 3.73's according to my gear chart. I wouldn't push it beyond that without some supporting mods. Plus remember, power peak is at 6500, and you need all the power you can get at 150+. The 3.31's will take you to 182 in 5th at 7500 rpm, though unless the tune adds a good bit of power (E85) I would be surprised if it would pull that far without hardware mods. Now 170-175, I can easily see with just a tune that raises the redline and removes the limiter.

Also remember that tire diameter is a factor in the effective gearing. Most of the road race/autocross guys (like me) are fitting shorter tires which further hurts the slightly too low geared PP.

P.S. I have a PP, so I am not just throwing rocks at other peoples choices.
my power peak was 6700 with stock intake now its 7300 with gt350 intake
Sponsored

TexasGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
https://www.texasmile.net/

This place will give you plenty of room to see what the top is....an amazing place to go to. :thumbsup:
You been there Bill? We went last year. I am really thinking about running in it this year with my car. Need a tune though to remove top speed limiter.

Rhamlinii

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ronald
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (Base)
I've been 150 so far with myself, and two adults in the car. It would do more, and it felt really stable. I just had traffic up ahead.

analog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP
I'm confused after reading this thread. I had my car out on a desert playa last year and could swear I hit a limit at 145mph in 5th gear. It was still pulling, but it felt like a computer controlled limit. Are the PP cars limited lower? Seems like some of you with stock tunes are getting faster than the 145 I hit. My car is completely stock except removing the exhaust resonator.

Zenkem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 PPP GT Mustang
I'm confused after reading this thread. I had my car out on a desert playa last year and could swear I hit a limit at 145mph in 5th gear. It was still pulling, but it felt like a computer controlled limit. Are the PP cars limited lower? Seems like some of you with stock tunes are getting faster than the 145 I hit. My car is completely stock except removing the exhaust resonator.
I'm stock as well and can hit 150 every time I drive my car here in Germany and stand by my previous statements in this thread...

Sponsored

analog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP
I'm stock as well and can hit 150 every time I drive my car here in Germany and stand by my previous statements in this thread...
Since I am in Oregon and was forced to included a CA emissions package on my car, perhaps that also included a reduced speed limiter?

Also, in my previous statement, I said it was still pulling. I should clarify that it was still pulling up until the 145 limiter kicked in. It felt the same as when I hit the rev limiter when I autox, but I was in 5th and should have had a several hundred RPM left before hitting the rev limiter.

Sheenapple

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
164 2015 GT PP with a Lund Tune. with the tune would the 164 be removed? i believe the hard limiter is 180 something. theres another limiter at 208 i believe that boostworks hit at the texas mile. required them to PCM swap their KB car.

ETCH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Performance
Ive been at 160, but it scared the shit out of me. fastest I had been... I wont do that again.

well at least not in California. maybe when I move to Tennessee

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Since I am in Oregon and was forced to included a CA emissions package on my car, perhaps that also included a reduced speed limiter?

Also, in my previous statement, I said it was still pulling. I should clarify that it was still pulling up until the 145 limiter kicked in. It felt the same as when I hit the rev limiter when I autox, but I was in 5th and should have had a several hundred RPM left before hitting the rev limiter.
Per my calculations, with the 3.73 differential the engine RPM will be ~6850 at 145 MPH. Might be a 'soft' limiter at 6850 RPM involving spark cut-off, and fuel cut-off is around 7000 RPM.

analog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP
Per my calculations, with the 3.73 differential the engine RPM will be ~6850 at 145 MPH. Might be a 'soft' limiter at 6850 RPM involving spark cut-off, and fuel cut-off is around 7000 RPM.
That's interesting. I was more concentrated on the speedo when making those runs, so didn't notice what actual RPM I was at. I found a spreadsheet on these forums (http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13424) that calculates the RPMs for the various rear ends and it says I should have been turning ~6550 RPM at 145MPH in 5th gear with my 3.73s. How did you come up with ~6850?

Sponsored

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
The car should still pull up to 164 mph after you shift to sixth gear. It will take some time but that should be achievable. Hitting the rev limiter at 5th gear should have nothing to do with hitting a computer set speed limiter. Two different things.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
That's interesting. I was more concentrated on the speedo when making those runs, so didn't notice what actual RPM I was at. I found a spreadsheet on these forums (http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13424) that calculates the RPMs for the various rear ends and it says I should have been turning ~6550 RPM at 145MPH in 5th gear with my 3.73s. How did you come up with ~6850?
If I use the tire dia (new tires) on the PP, then it comes out to 148 MPH at 6850 RPM. I'm thinking you just hit the soft limiter in 5th gear.

Shift into 6th and see if it will get higher than 145 as suggested above.

analog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP
If I use the tire dia (new tires) on the PP, then it comes out to 148 MPH at 6850 RPM. I'm thinking you just hit the soft limiter in 5th gear.

Shift into 6th and see if it will get higher than 145 as suggested above.
Thank you. It seems very likely I hit the rev limiter. Guess I gotta go back out there and drive fast again and shift to 6th this time! :cheers:
Sponsored