Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
  • Banned
Has anyone done this? I know on the other mustang site (Svt...) I always saw people with front toyo proxies and rear toyo R888.

What Im considering doing is adding Pilot Super Sport for the front with my rear Pilot Sport 4S.

Now I know these two tires are close in performance with the edge going to the 4S tires (better in the wet too). But I will not be driving in the wet. Has anyone mixed Pilot sport series tires? The better gripping tires for the rear and less grippy for the front? I'm doing this because I need a slightly LESS taller tire for my front setup (right now its 26" per tire rack website). When I switch to PSS the front tire height will be 25.8".
Sponsored

OP
OP
1mic

1mic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
I used to run an all reason on the front of my Mach1. In the summer I put on Nitto's for the strip, in the winter I put on Blizzaks. Never an issue.
Yea thats what I figured, specially since these tires im talking about are close enough to each other. 1 being an incremental improvement over the other. Even michelin rates them the same, i think a 9 out of 10.

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
Tried it long ago, difficult to predict when understeer and oversteer kick in at different times.

Sponsored

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
Been running the stockers up front and MPSS out back for a year now, no issues on the street. Definitely not recommended for a track sitch.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I'd say the only issue is that in an emergency situation, max braking and steering/cornering to avoid an accident, the chassis stability would be compromised.

...I'm doing this because I need a slightly LESS taller tire for my front setup (right now its 26" per tire rack website). When I switch to PSS the front tire height will be 25.8".
Why on earth are you worried about 2 tenths of an inch?? Also, if they're the same size tire, it shouldn't matter.

OP
OP
1mic

1mic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
I'd say the only issue is that in an emergency situation, max braking and steering/cornering to avoid an accident, the chassis stability would be compromised.
Why on earth are you worried about 2 tenths of an inch?? Also, if they're the same size tire, it shouldn't matter.
The front rubs the fender liner at a quarter turn. Michelin doesnt make a 285/30-19 for the PS 4S, the only choice would be PSS and it comes in at the 285 size.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
The front rubs the fender liner at a quarter turn. Michelin doesnt make a 285/30-19 for the PS 4S, the only choice would be PSS and it comes in at the 285 size.
I'd imagine that the .2" doesn't really exist/matter, and that if one 285/30-19 tire is going to rub, they all will. If the fitment is so tight that .2" makes a difference, I'd be really concerned.

But it's your car, your investigation, so hopefully you've studied into this as I'm just guessing.

OP
OP
1mic

1mic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd imagine that the .2" doesn't really exist/matter, and that if one 285/30-19 tire is going to rub, they all will. If the fitment is so tight that .2" makes a difference, I'd be really concerned.

But it's your car, your investigation, so hopefully you've studied into this as I'm just guessing.
Yea i emailed Michelin, I could go with another brand of tires looking for a shorter diameter tire. This isnt for a mustang but figured I can reach more car enthusiasts here that have experience with different tire combos.

Sponsored

breeves002

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I ran RE71-R 275/35 ronts and V720 305/30 rears at the track last summer no problems. Went to cup 2's this year.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
Since the MPSS and MP4S are very similar I don't think there would be any issue.

I plan on running MPSS front and MP4S rear when my rears wear out. The fronts still look brand new and I'm not replacing them for no reason.

OP
OP
1mic

1mic

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Since the MPSS and MP4S are very similar I don't think there would be any issue.

I plan on running MPSS front and MP4S rear when my rears wear out. The fronts still look brand new and I'm not replacing them for no reason.
Yes, this is exactly why I thinking it will work. I think emailing michelin will get me an answer to buy more tires. LOL
The PS4S is a progression and slight improvement over the MPSS. Everything about the two tires are nearly identical. Perhaps the compound in the PS4S is a bit better as well as the tread pattern.

I'm just patiently waiting for Michelin to reply back.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
Yes, this is exactly why I thinking it will work. I think emailing michelin will get me an answer to buy more tires. LOL
The PS4S is a progression and slight improvement over the MPSS. Everything about the two tires are nearly identical. Perhaps the compound in the PS4S is a bit better as well as the tread pattern.

I'm just patiently waiting for Michelin to reply back.
Yeah, they're similar enough I wouldn't think twice about it. Even more so since the better ones will be in the rear and you always want the better tires in the back.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
I ran NITTO 05 rears and goodyear as-2 fronts. Rears stuck. Fronts pushed like a mofo. Since then I went Firehawk Indy 500's on all for corners. Now it's like it's on rails. Love it. Braking is unbelievable!
Sponsored