Tim Hilliard

Happy Owner
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Guard 300A PP Recaro
DTE

The DTE is calculated in the IPC using the Running Average Fuel Economy (RAFE), which is the fuel economy over the last 480 km (300 miles), and the fuel level input from the fuel sender(s) to determine how many miles the vehicle can be driven based on the remaining fuel in the fuel tank. If the fuel economy is relatively constant, the DTE can be off over a 50 mile range by -24% to +38%. The DTE display and the fuel gauge both use the fuel level input from the fuel tank to provide their respective functions. If the fuel gauge doesn't function correctly, both the fuel gauge and the DTE display are affected.

The IPC defaults to around 21 mpg when the battery is initially connected and changes based on driving habits and conditions. Generally, the driver should be getting somewhere between 13-27 mpg.

NOTE: The actual DTE can be higher or lower than the DTE displayed in the message center due to changes in driving conditions. It is important to understand how the DTE is calculated and the factors that impact the DTE display when determining how to address any DTE concerns.

Since the DTE is calculated and averaged over a longer period of time (480 km [300 miles]), varying driving conditions can have a significant impact on the current or short term DTE as opposed to the displayed DTE. This difference often leads to customer complaints of incorrect or invalid DTE. The following list provides some (not all) of the driving conditions that may lead to an incorrect or fluctuating DTE concern:

Changing between towing/not towing
Changing driving between city and highway
Allowing the vehicle to idle for long periods of time
Using the remote start feature frequently to allow the vehicle to warm up, particularly when parked on a grade
Parking or driving on grades
Inconsistent use of gasoline or E85 fuels
Over-fueling or not filling the tank completely (partial refueling)
To better illustrate the affects of how driving conditions can affect DTE, refer to the 2 following examples. The first example below illustrates how the following observations are normal and expected since the low fuel reminder is triggered from a fuel volume and not from a fixed distance to empty.
If while driving, the low fuel reminder (low fuel indicator and low fuel warning message) displays when the DTE equals 94.4 km (59 miles) and the driver adds 11.36 L (3 gallons) of fuel, the new DTE may become 124.8 km (78 miles). After continued driving, the low fuel reminder may now display when the DTE equals 83.2 km (52 miles).
The second example (below) illustrates what occurs when idling on an incline. In this example, the customer should be made aware of how the condition will correct after a few minutes of idling on a level surface.
If the customer stops and parks the vehicle on an incline in a driveway, then in the morning remote starts the vehicle, allowing the engine to idle, the DTE may now equal 184 km (115 miles). As the customer drives, the low fuel reminder displays when the DTE equals 148.8 km (93 miles). Finally, after 5 more minutes of driving, the DTE is back to 80 km (50 miles).
Sponsored

Tcstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT premium- Ordered
Mine came on at 20 mte and fuel station icons showed up on the nav screen.

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
mine came on at 27 MTE. i filled up about 14.7 gals at that point. seems pretty accurate to my 18.6 mpg avg.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
DTE

The DTE is calculated in the IPC using the Running Average Fuel Economy (RAFE), which is the fuel economy over the last 480 km (300 miles), and the fuel level input from the fuel sender(s) to determine how many miles the vehicle can be driven based on the remaining fuel in the fuel tank. If the fuel economy is relatively constant, the DTE can be off over a 50 mile range by -24% to +38%. The DTE display and the fuel gauge both use the fuel level input from the fuel tank to provide their respective functions. If the fuel gauge doesn't function correctly, both the fuel gauge and the DTE display are affected.
Good info! Is that information out of the official Service Manual?

Sponsored

Tim Hilliard

Happy Owner
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Guard 300A PP Recaro
Yes

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
lowest i got my MTE to was this morning, at 7. 15.28 gals of fuel went in.

bp8ZftY.jpg

Mustm26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
It may be amusing to see how low you can go but, IMHO, you risk picking up any foreign debris in the bottom of the tank.

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
I wasn't doing it for fun. I have a 50 mile commute so if my tank has more than that I won't fill up until the next morning. Plus those myths about debris at the bottom of the tank have been debunked long ago

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
It may be amusing to see how low you can go but, IMHO, you risk picking up any foreign debris in the bottom of the tank.
The pick up is at the bottom of the tank so the amount of fuel above it is not going have any baring on whether you pick up any debris.

That being said there is a filter on the end of the pick up that prevents debris from being sucked into the pump.

Tamadrummer88

Finicky
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost Premium
Lowest I've ever gotten mine was 5 miles to empty. Filled up right at 15 gallons.
Sponsored