Low temp Thermostats for GT350 ??

tdzee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
85 Corvette, 04 Corvette Z16, 08 350Z NISMO, 15 CTS-V Coupe, 17 GT350R
I have searched for references to a low temp thermostat but only find failed stock t'stat threads. I have seen a reference to someone who apparently makes a 170 degF tstat. Does anyone know the vendor name?

Is anyone using one or just adjusting fans temps down with Forscan?

Thx for any input. :headbang:

EDIT: Just found this one: http://reischeperformance.com/F50data.html
Sponsored

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Lower thermostats don't do anything for preventing the car from overheating (since both a stock and 170* thermostat will be completely open when the car is running hot). All your doing is making it run cooler on the street when not pushing the car. I don't see the point.

OP
OP

tdzee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I do not drive my car on the street. It is a track only car for me. The stock temps are set for emissions compliance, not performance. It helps to run cooler and keep under-hood temps down. Every 10 degF is 1% power drop.

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I do not drive my car on the street. It is a track only car for me. The stock temps are set for emissions compliance, not performance. It helps to run cooler and keep under-hood temps down. Every 10 degF is 1% power drop.
If your cooling system is incapable of cooling the engine and keeping it on the stock thermostat when pushing the car on a hot day on track, a lower thermostat won't do anything. I guess the question is, have you upgraded your cooling system and/or is the stock cooling system capable of keeping the car cool on track?

My friend's GT350Rs see CHT of 240*F on track here in FL, in which case a lower thermostat won't do anything other than make it run cooler on the first couple laps and cool off to a lower temp during a cooldown lap. You're in the south too and I don't think you'll see a difference on track unless you're running in winter.

Where did you get the 1% per 10*F figure from for the Voodoo?

AirBusPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
10*F/1% refer to inlet air temp changes, not engine coolant temps.

A hotter engine will make more power than a colder engine, assuming same air inlet temps.

Sponsored

OP
OP

tdzee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
10*F/1% refer to inlet air temp changes, not engine coolant temps.

A hotter engine will make more power than a colder engine, assuming same air inlet temps.
I do not agree with that statement. OEMs crank up the heat for better emission performance, not engine performance. Heat is not your friend in an internal combustion engine for power output.

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I do not agree with that statement. OEMs crank up the heat for better emission performance, not engine performance. Heat is not your friend in an internal combustion engine for power output.
Yup, which is why racecars run 170*F water temps, oh wait, they don't. Nascar cup cars run 240-250* water and 280-300* oil :lol:

(There's way more to emissions driven decisions -like lightweight oils, and performance than simply running hotter or colder is better. At the end of the day, a lower stat on a production car is pointless.)

AirBusPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
A hotter running engine does improve emissions. Because the engine runs more efficiently. A more efficient engine also makes more power.

Heat = Energy. A cold engine robs the combustion chamber of heat (Energy), which is one reasons cars with carbs would barely run when cold.

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I'm assuming you realize the thermostat will always be open and the cooling system running open loop regardless of which thermostat you use in a track condition and even most street conditions right? The thermostat would only make a difference during the engine warm-up after a cold start. Once you reach standard running temperature the thermostat isn't doing anything since the cooling system is open loop at that point.

bellwilliam

bellwilliam
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
William
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350R
What Demonic said. Thermostat don't do a thing for track driving. What it does is delay few minutes of warm up. So it might help a little on street, but not track driving.

Sponsored

KiLLeR2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'89 240SX, '17 GT350
If its a track only car drain all the coolant out and run 100% distilled water and water wetter. Should see a drop in overall temps.

xt6wagon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 base triple yellow
This car is one that LOVES the heat. Don't ruin your car by making it run too cool.

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17GT350AG/BS-MGW/UPR/ABLIP
heat is your friend until it gets too hot.
Sponsored