Lithium Battery Upgrade and BCM Recall Post Notes

Mach1Mike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Mach 1
I am investigating doing a lithium battery upgrade to my 2021, it has original battery and in Florida these battery's last 3 to 5 years max. Has anyone upgraded to lithium, I know its lighter and cost more.

Also completed BCM recall and noticed my voltage on the gauge shifts from 14.5 to 12.5 during acceleration/braking/coasting pre recall it was sitting at 14.5 and never moved. Has anyone else got the recall done and seen anything different. Recall was supposed to fix brake fluid reservoir alert.

I have 51k miles on my Mach and had the dealer flush coolant cause I didn't want to deal with it. The degenerate mechanic left a cigarette butt on my wiper reservoir, wondering what else he may have done wrong....Oh well.
Sponsored

bankyf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Those voltages are normal with Ford smart charging. The alternator is essentially shut off when not needed to increase fuel economy. If they never did that before, something was wrong and the update fixed it. The lithiums seem to struggle, especially on the higher optioned cars with more power demand. I bought one, but never installed it as I just heard of too many issues from others that were solved by switching back to a non-lithium battery.

gvn49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang, 2020 Explorer, 2007 FX4,1985 Mustang
google search

Are lithium batteries safe in cars?

Lithium-ion batteries are safe but extremely sensitive to high temperatures and inherently flammable. These battery packs tend to degrade much faster than they normally would, due to heat. If a lithium-ion battery pack fails, it will burst into flames and can cause widespread damage.

https://www.accc.gov.au/media-relea...heat or,dangerous and difficult to extinguish.

Can lithium batteries catch fire when not in use?

The batteries can overheat or explode if they are used, charged or disposed of incorrectly or if they are damaged, and fires caused by the batteries can be dangerous and difficult to extinguish.

https://www.fireextinguisheronline....ries are safe,and can cause widespread damage.

Not saying there bad just food for thought. Failure rate is very low but if they do fail it could be problemsome. Just google search lots of information. Just remember if somehow through viberation or impact Lithium reacts violently with water . Im not an expert just my 2cents

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Don't do it. You will have issues with the battery bcm and the car bcm. It eventually won't work.

Ask me how I know. My LiPO now powers my winch and my car has a traditional battery. And works awesome.

Rob_R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach 1, SPF Cobra, 23 Jeep JTR, 88 YJ, 05 Ram
Also completed BCM recall and noticed my voltage on the gauge shifts from 14.5 to 12.5 during acceleration/braking/coasting pre recall it was sitting at 14.5 and never moved. Has anyone else got the recall done and seen anything different. Recall was supposed to fix brake fluid reservoir alert.
I just got my Mach back from the dealer for an oil pan replacement and they also did the BCM recall. Prior to this service visit, the battery voltage was always pegged at ~ 14.5V. During the 1700 miles of driving the car, I only once saw the voltage vary (12.xx - 14.xx) as it should and that was early on. I didn't check the voltage on the way home from the dealer as the BCM update wiped out all of my dash gauge settings and I haven't redone them yet. I'll report back as soon as I have a chance to drive the Mach again.
Sponsored