Sponsored

Lightning Lap 2016: Fastest Street Cars on America's Toughest Track w/ GT350R + FoRS

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
2016's hottest performers meet their nemesis: Virginia International Raceway: http://www.caranddriver.com/feature...years-hottest-performance-cars-at-vir-feature

Every car tested.... gallery w/ lap times: http://www.caranddriver.com/flipbook/lightning-lap-2016-every-car-every-lap-time-gallery#1

lightning-lap-2016-inline1-photo-670924-s-original.jpg

GT350-R: http://www.caranddriver.com/features/ford-mustang-shelby-gt350r-at-lightning-lap-2016-feature

29579061001_13b90ea1d8_b.jpg

29625192776_b4f1920a37_b.jpg

29564579335_9e5a42158d_o.png

29660696685_443645e356_b.jpg

-----

From Torque News: http://www.torquenews.com/106/ford-focus-rs-shelby-gt350r-mustang-set-records-2016-cd-lightning-lap

The results for the 2016 Car & Driver Lightning Lap are in and both of the Ford vehicles in the field turned in solid times – with the new Shelby GT350R turning in the 2nd best time ever among American muscle cars and the quickest time ever for the LL2 class while the new Ford Focus RS set the best time ever by a 4-cylinder car in the 10 years of the Lightning Lap shootout.

Each of the last 10 years, Car & Driver has held their annual Lightning Lap shootout on the Grand West configuration at Virginia International Raceway. In this year’s Lightning Lap field, there were two Ford vehicles – the 2017 Focus RS and the 2016 Shelby Mustang GT350R – both of which turned in impressive times.

The Ford Shelby Mustang GT350R Tops LL2
2016-Ford-Mustang-Shelby-GT350R-106-876x535.jpg

First up, the 2016 Ford Shelby Mustang GT350R turned in the best time from the blue oval with a time of 2:51.8. This made it just the 7th quickest car in the 2016 LL field, but it was 3 seconds quicker than the next closest muscle car (2017 Camaro 1LE SS).

While finishing 7th doesn’t seem all that great in a 17 car field, it should be pointed out that the 2015 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28 is the only muscle car to turn a quicker time than the new GT350R and with a starting price of $75,000, the old Z/28 was almost $11,000 more than the current Shelby Mustang. That price difference puts the 2016 Shelby Mustang and the 2015 Camaro Z/28 in different classes, and among the LL2 class, the new GT350R is the quickest entry in the 10 years of the event.

For under $65,000, there has been no car in the Car & Driver Lightning Lap shootout to run a quicker lap and the closest competition in the LL2 class was the 2014 Corvette Stingray – which was 2 seconds slower.

Focus RS Sets the Bar for 4-Cylinder Cars
2016-Ford-Focus-RS-108-876x535.jpg

The new Ford Focus RS has been marketed as a street legal track monster since the day that it was first introduced, but some folks were disappointed to see that it was only the 14th quickest car in this year’s Lightning Lap. However, in searching through past years, the new Focus RS is the quickest 4-cylinder production car ever tested on the VIR Grand West course. It is also the quickest 5-door hatchback ever in the Lightning Lap trials.

The Focus RS was also a second and a half quicker than the current Mustang GT with the Performance Pack goodies, so shy of the new Shelby GT350 and GT350R – the Focus RS is the most track capable modern Ford product on the market.

While Ford Motor Company would have likely enjoyed seeing the new Shelby GT350R a bit closer to the Camaro Z/28 time, the fact that the Shelby is the quickest LL2 car and the Focus RS is the quickest 4-cylinder car ever are both very impressive accomplishments for the newest Ford high performance products.
Sponsored

garagelogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX 5.0 Coupe-Coyote Swapped
Vehicle Showcase
Watching the video of the GT350R run, I can now understand why the lap time was less than might be expected at VIR. The driver obviously had no real seat time in the car.

Last edited:

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Interesting but the R they are testing is 67 - 68K. I think tech + triple yellow+stripes is 68.

I expect to see the driver in a racing suite.. where is the stig.

Sponsored

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
That's the only GT350 trim level they had for the session?
Yeah, but wondering why. Chevy brought out several trims for Camaro (the traditional rival). Would have been interesting to see other GT350 variants, as well as other Mustang variants...

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
It's amusing to see them talk about the Z28 and how it's faster...when it wasn't tested on the same day....not even the same year and the track has since been REPAVED.

During the last IMSA race, all they talked about is how the track surface was new and not very sticky except on the perfect race line.

I mean - if they wanted to compare the car to a Z28, they should of brought one with them...geesh.

OP
OP
Bossing

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
Top dawgs can still haul... the over achiever is clearly the new C7 Grand Sport. Them tires surely help man... them tires! ;)

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]bA-TuYmH-OE[/MEDIA]"]Welcome to Lightning Lap 2016 - YouTube[/ame]

And besides the pair of Ford Performance cars, posting vids of 3 of my favorite supercars...

- Dodge Viper ACR 2:44.2
[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]KJDaJkH95OA[/MEDIA]"]Dodge Viper ACR at Lightning Lap 2016 - YouTube[/ame]

- Ferrari 488GTB 2:45.1
[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]WRblNkCX_ko[/MEDIA]"]Ferrari 488GTB at Lightning Lap 2016 - YouTube[/ame]

- Porsche 911 GT3 RS 2:47.0
[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]-EOwVUo58M0[/MEDIA]"]Porsche 911 GT3 RS at Lightning Lap 2016 - YouTube[/ame]

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
R&t, c&d and mt are the biggest shit shows. Why anyone pays attention to their results is beyond me. Lighting lap has always been a big crock of shit. I dont even need to look at the results to know it.

OP
OP
Bossing

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
You're entitled to censor or completely ignore them.... I know alot of variables are in play and even favoritism can't be ruled out. But to me it's still a form of subjective car-related entertainment and some objective info... and I don't lose sleep over it. ;)

Back to topic.

The R....

[ame]

The FoRS....

[ame]

The new Grand Sport...

[ame]

The new NSX...

[ame]

Sponsored

TxOilMoney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
I heard Nuremberg has lifted their speed limits, so maybe we can see some updated times around the "Ring". Last I saw, the 350R beat the Z-28 by 5 seconds and the ZL-1 by 9. Speaking of Germany, I heard that the Mustang outsold the Porsche 911 a couple of months ago. In Germany. Crazy, man.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
R&t, c&d and mt are the biggest shit shows. Why anyone pays attention to their results is beyond me. Lighting lap has always been a big crock of shit. I dont even need to look at the results to know it.
I really appreciate your commentary but unless you can show us some superior and documented commentary show us the way otherwise your comments are pretty much not worth responding to.

Unless you can come up with some sound results you look like just another troll on this forum!!

:cheers:

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
I really appreciate your commentary but unless you can show us some superior and documented commentary show us the way otherwise your comments are pretty much not worth responding to.

Unless you can come up with some sound results you look like just another troll on this forum!!

:cheers:
Im a troll with a s550 then. I didnt know i need to show people "the way". If people want to get better they need to get into to skip barber classes or something like ive done and practice.. People need to figure it out like i did. I shouldnt have to hold peoples hand. Its that simple. Ive practiced around 500hrs on various road courses. It does wonders. Im not just a one trick pony that only drag races contrary to popular belief.

Also dont say you appreciate my commentary then call me a troll. I dont need your sarcasm. Ive never been that way with you.

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Fell into a pot hole in Michigan and can't get bac
Vehicle(s)
Me crazy, and I can't help myself
I find that everyone always complains when they don't like the results of a given article, they look for flaws, or gaps in the analysis, or reasons why they screwed it up. If all else fails you can blame the differences on the different tires on the car.

just like any research you should use multiple sources to generate an informed opinion, or better yet, try the cars yourself and the opinions of others will matter less.

OP
OP
Bossing

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
IMO, as long as you don't take the C&D's LLap times as the gold standard or final telltale lap value per car then it's fine. Don't let it get under your skin.... period. Like the R we all know it's very fast but it won't always be the fastest at every track. Over 99.9% won't be able to replicate those record lap times anyway.

Their results (with different drivers and different skill levels) at least show the potential or range per se... per car. For example the GT350-R should be a sub-2:50 at VIR.... with Randy P. behind the wheel. The fact that C&D didn't accomplish this doesn't mean the R (or the GT350 in general) is a failure. Heck no, far from it.

I enjoy watching the videos and reading their experience and feedback per car.... they're not perfect, you may not agree with them, and they may not be always 100% accurate but at least reviews, tests, and comparisons like this exist.

So back to regular programming, more vids! :D

GT4...
[ame]

570S...
[ame]

1LE V6...
[ame]

1LE SS...
[ame]
M4 GTS unicorn!
[ame]
Sponsored