Keep stock flywheel with new clutch?

1MeanZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP M6 1986 Camaro IROC-Z
If I'm reading between the lines here a bit, I'd wonder if the throttle follower/rev hang settings need optimized after a dramatic change to rotating weight. That could be what people "dont like" about a lighter rotating assembly, it can make shifting and clutch engagement more clunky. Just a thought.
Sponsored

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I decided to get the McLeod Lightened Flywheel. It’s not as light as the Exedy one at 20lbs. I think that will be a good compromise for a street daily car. I’m driving my cousin’s Infiniti G35 with a 14lb flywheel and I don’t really like how fast it drops/climbs the rpms. I’m know is not an apples to apples comparison.

And for the crank relearn I have a nGauge so that shouldn’t be a problem.

How do you like your exedy clutch? How is the pedal feel?
Nice. McLeod should be good too!

Love the Exedy clutch so far. Pedal effort is no different than stock but it will hold notably more power and they’re well built. Excellent NA clutch. I paired it with a Steeda braided clutch line as well… dream combo.

The coyote has enough rotating mass to not “feel” the impact of the lighter flywheel though sharp rev drops. I’m not sure if you have the Coyote or 3.7 as your user name suggests, but the smaller the engine the more pronounced it is. The responsiveness gained was a huge plus for me, with minimal change in RPM drop between gears.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I grew up with carbs. Zero rev hang. I shift best with an engine that drops RPM like a rock over a cliff.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Get the matching Exedy chromoly flywheel. Amazing unit, very light. Pairs awesome with the clutch you’re getting. I noticed a huge difference in engine responsiveness versus the stock flywheel. Night and day.

Just a heads up, if you replace the flywheel you’ll need to perform a calibration to sync the new flywheel to the sensor (forget the name of it). Otherwise, you’ll get a misfire >4k RPM. If you have a flash tuner, it’s an easy fix and takes about 5 min start to finish.
you will need to do clutch relearn even with the stock flywheel so better get a lighter one while in there.

CorvZ061

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
I have a 12lb flywheel in my other car. I much prefer the lightweight flywheel. It makes the engine much more responsive. The only real negative is a little more throttle or clutch slip starting off.

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
First time I ever heard someone not like that. I love a snappy engine.
Agreed. after running a LW fliywheel on a previous car, I swore to install one on every sports car I bought after that.

I did eventually get around to it on this Mustang (took a few years) and yeah. love it.

The Exedy lw flywheel isn't very hard to get used to.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
If I'm reading between the lines here a bit, I'd wonder if the throttle follower/rev hang settings need optimized after a dramatic change to rotating weight. That could be what people "dont like" about a lighter rotating assembly, it can make shifting and clutch engagement more clunky. Just a thought.
The heavy stock flywheel is probably the 'right' choice for most casual drivers.

Me, I wanted less rev hang (for different reasons) and had my tuner build that into my tune. No complaints here with a lightweight flywheel and less rev hang in the tune, but it might not be to everyone's tastes.

What you should expect to do is have to do a crank relearn with any changes to the rotating mass (or else you'll get misfires after your new clutch install)
Sponsored