JLT Intake everything wrong

Stephent5609

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Alright guys I’m beyond annoyed. I know they say things never go as planned but this simple JLT CAI is kicking my butt.

If I leave my car alone for a day or so and start it the car shuts down always first time. And then is fine afterwards.
I was told because I need the tune is why this happens as well as the check engine light. And now I’m trying to do a tune with Lund racing and I did I crank relearn and all these codes popped. I’m so done with this car
Sponsored

Syphon5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50th Anniversary
Alright guys I’m beyond annoyed. I know they say things never go as planned but this simple JLT CAI is kicking my butt.

If I leave my car alone for a day or so and start it the car shuts down always first time. And then is fine afterwards.
I was told because I need the tune is why this happens as well as the check engine light. And now I’m trying to do a tune with Lund racing and I did I crank relearn and all these codes popped. I’m so done with this car
Its probably something you did and not the intake. Took me 15 mins to install my JLT and Lund Tune.

OP
OP

Stephent5609

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Its probably something you did and not the intake. Took me 15 mins to install my JLT and Lund Tune.
I haven’t done the tune yet, just the diagnostic so Lund can get an idea from there. I told them the check engine light was on so they said do a check engine light so they have an idea of what it is exactly.

Syphon5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50th Anniversary
I haven’t done the tune yet, just the diagnostic so Lund can get an idea from there. I told them the check engine light was on so they said do a check engine light so they have an idea of what it is exactly.
You shouldnt have even put it on till you had the tune. When you buy the NGauge from Lund they ask whats done to the car. So they can send you a tune for those mods. For instance I told them I was putting on a JLT intake and MRPB catback race exhaust. So they pulled a base file for those mods and sent it to me. I installed the mods on the car and tune the same day. Everything went smooth. I data logged for them, sent file to them. Everything looked good and didnt need a re-tune.

cahouston

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
At this point with your car throwing codes after running with a tune-required mod (JLT CAI) on the stock tune, I wish be hesitant to give you a tune if I were a tuner as well given your car is throwing codes. Your best bet is to disconnect the battery, put the stock parts back on, reconnect battery, start it up, and check for codes from there to make sure the car is healthy. Then, work with Lund to get a tune for the CAI. Once you have the tune, install JLT, load tune, and enjoy. Hopefully, nothing was damaged by running the car with a tune-required CAI on stock tune.

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
I haven’t done the tune yet
Weeeellllll you need a tune BEFORE you run it, period, end of story. And why you making lund chase it? When they ask if you have a tune required CAI, you say yes, boom here's your tune.

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Your MAF readings will be completely out of whack which is why the car won’t run. There’s “tune required” intakes, such as the JLT, and “no tune” intakes such as K&N, AEM, etc.. or some that offer both (Steeda, Roush) with a removable insert.

You’re best off to re-install the stock intake until you purchase the tune.. otherwise you’ll have the same issue.

Not to be a dick, but it’s not the car’s fault :)

OP
OP

Stephent5609

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
At this point with your car throwing codes after running with a tune-required mod (JLT CAI) on the stock tune, I wish be hesitant to give you a tune if I were a tuner as well given your car is throwing codes. Your best bet is to disconnect the battery, put the stock parts back on, reconnect battery, start it up, and check for codes from there to make sure the car is healthy. Then, work with Lund to get a tune for the CAI. Once you have the tune, install JLT, load tune, and enjoy. Hopefully, nothing was damaged by running the car with a tune-required CAI on stock tune.
Did base tune and god came clutch, no CEL.

Kermitz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 300A M6
Vehicle Showcase

Didn't you just post about this on 05-11-2020? You were advised to put the stock intake back on and not reinstall it until you have a tune for the JLT intake. Did you do that?

Sponsored
OP
OP

Stephent5609

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Didn't you just post about this on 05-11-2020? You were advised to put the stock intake back on and not reinstall it until you have a tune for the JLT intake. Did you do that?
No I just had the Lund tune do a baseline tune for the CAI. There was no hesitance doing cold start, no codes popped. All in all I didn’t run the CAI
(before tune) to the ground. Data logged and sent it to Lund racing from there, dependent on the numbers, I should get my selected flex fuel tune.

CommyO

Is it a v8?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 EB Premium PP
I installed my intake without a tune and it was fine. I did tune the car of course but it shouldn't be turning off

ivantwilliams

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium with Performance Package
Vehicle Showcase
I am intrigued by MODs. Alas, not doing any till my warranty runs out. But, confused why a CAI needs a 'tune'. I will research and watch a few YouTube videos.
Oddly, you'd think since it is air passing through the CAI, one would not need a tune.

geddys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 GT, Europe edition
I am intrigued by MODs. Alas, not doing any till my warranty runs out. But, confused why a CAI needs a 'tune'. I will research and watch a few YouTube videos.
Oddly, you'd think since it is air passing through the CAI, one would not need a tune.
On intake you have a MAF ( mass air-flow sensor ) which measures how much air is going inside the engine. ECU uses this reading to calculate how much fuel needs to be injected to reach proper AFR (air-to-fuel ratio) during combustion.

Some intakes increase tube diameter which makes more air to enter engine, while MAF reads same numbers as before, making ECU inject not enough fuel for proper combustion. ECU has in-built mechanisms for correcting this, but its so much out of scale for ECU that it doesnt work. Tune just makes adjustments for this. ( Thats really high level view on the case, some details might not be correct in this scenario )

Rock&Roll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Stick- 2022 VW GTI Stick -2011 HD Fatboy
I am intrigued by MODs. Alas, not doing any till my warranty runs out. .
Lol ... I’m not screwing my car up either. There’s no improvement from installing aftermarket CAI. The stock one works fine. A tune will benefit but I just don’t want to mess with a car that already hauls ass but I get why people do it ... just not for me :)
Sponsored