HiPo Joe
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R HR186
750 (s)miles on the car. Driving Impressions between the GT350TP / GT350R

The first thing I've noticed right off was the suspension tuning seems way more tight than my first GT350 TP. In the normal mode I feel like I can feel even the paint lines in the road. It's not over bearing at all, but I felt like the TP had more of a "plush" ride. I'd almost be willing to say the TP in sport mode feels like the R in normal mode. Now keep in mind it's been about six months since I've driven the TP.

My single and biggest "complaint" is the tramlining. You really have to pay attention when driving the car. It feels like it could "dart" into the other lane or off the road sometimes. I suspect the alignment may need to be verified. I had previously added Cup2's to the TP, but I don't remember it causing tramlining to the extent I'm finding it in the R. For the most part, I seem to notice it more when I'm just casually driving the car. I find myself having to quickly react with steering input to correct.

The next complaint, although valid, shouldn't really be a concern for most drivers. The hood likes to flex and move around too much at "speed". I'd be more comfortable with some hood pins, but I can't bring myself to "cut" this car up. Damned if you do and damned if you don't. I experienced this with both the TP and the R.

The R wing does limit rear visibility somewhat, but hey, isn't that why we have side mirrors too? I haven't found that to be an issue at all as I'm using the side mirrors 90% of the time now. And that big ass (expensive) splitter does sit low, but if you are paying attention to your approach angles, you shouldn't have an issue with scrapping it. I don't think I've scrapped it at all pulling in and out of driveways, gas stations and etc. However, the very first day I drove the car I hit something in the road. It was either a large pinecone or piece of limb. I never saw it, but the road was covered with pine straw, (I was driving rather spiritedly) but I heard it. My heart sank. There is the tiniest little mark on the leading edge of the splitter. You'd have to know it was there to find it. After I was a "lil bitch" about it for 15 minutes, I decided it was a good thing. Now that I had the first "ding" on the car I wouldn't have to worry about when that would happen.

Driving the car has been a real treat. I cannot drive the car without getting a massive smile on my face. I hope that I'm able to share my enthusiasm with the rest of the family and my friends. My wife and I have been on a "date" in the car. I was able to take my 15 yo daughter on the first ride and to school in it. I can see this being a "forever" car for me. I intend to drive it and enjoy it.
Sponsored

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Explorer Platinum
Joe,
Thanks for the first impressions of the R. I suspect the tramlining is worse due in part to those monster 305's up front.

Sorry to hear about your first tiny dent.

How are you finding the road noise in the R? Do you hear everything? Just curious how much louder it is than the GT350 TP?

Good luck with the new R!

5.0 435

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
.07 Shelby SGT #0016 ...18 GT PP1 manual
Joe what are you doing about the tires once the temps get below freezing in north GA ? Glad ford did the right thing for you. Congrats .

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST
Nice write-up, thanks. I've noticed the tramlining in my new '17 as well but I'm sure you get it a bit more with those wider front tires. You just have to be on the ball.

It's been less than a week and I've already beat the snot out of the underside of my splitter. I'm resigned to buying a new one once I've gotten used to accounting for it in my driving.

OP
OP
ITLRUN

ITLRUN

HiPo Joe
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R HR186
Joe,
Thanks for the first impressions of the R. I suspect the tramlining is worse due in part to those monster 305's up front.

Sorry to hear about your first tiny dent.

How are you finding the road noise in the R? Do you hear everything? Just curious how much louder it is than the GT350 TP?

Good luck with the new R!
I had the R spec'd Cup2's on the standard GT350 wheels. The wheels would be slightly smaller, but the same size tires.

Holy Cow! How could I forget to mention the beautiful "Noise" that comes from this car?!? Oh wait, you mean road noise. :doh: Since mine has the electronics package, I have all the sound insulation. There is not noticeable difference.

Sponsored

CSL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350
Apart from the exclusivity of the R, do you prefer the TP?

I assume you haven't had it on the track yet. I'm really looking forward to your impressions of the differences there.

Congrats on the new ride. After all you've been through it is well deserved.

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)

I assume you haven't had it on the track yet. I'm really looking forward to your impressions of the differences there.

Honestly curious, but why would one prefer the more basic model with fewer unique features and a lower performance threshold? Still a fantastic car, but I see that as being a very odd question :p

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
CSL asked in the context of Joe making a comparison between the two along with the Track Pack car having a more plush ride. A valid question.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Its great when good things happen to good people. I am happy for you and glad it all worked out.

Enjoy the R!

OP
OP
ITLRUN

ITLRUN

HiPo Joe
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R HR186
Joe what are you doing about the tires once the temps get below freezing in north GA ? Glad ford did the right thing for you. Congrats .

I suppose I'll park it when the temps get below 45ish. I'd like to have another set of wheels/tires for daily use, but the ones I want are way expensive.

Ford is #1 in my book!

Sponsored

Hermz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
350R
I had the R spec'd Cup2's on the standard GT350 wheels. The wheels would be slightly smaller, but the same size tires.

Holy Cow! How could I forget to mention the beautiful "Noise" that comes from this car?!? Oh wait, you mean road noise. :doh: Since mine has the electronics package, I have all the sound insulation. There is not noticeable difference.
The tram-lining is insane. No knee driving this beast. Will you consider the Steeda G-Trac bar?

I felt that there was a lot more road noise in the R versus the 350 TP. But, I also did not have CUP2s on my TP. The R throws so many more rocks when the tires heat up. That and I think some of the rocks are throwing off roll bar plates which really makes for a nosier ride. No worries though, most the time I can only hear the engine/exhaust.

OP
OP
ITLRUN

ITLRUN

HiPo Joe
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R HR186

Honestly curious, but why would one prefer the more basic model with fewer unique features and a lower performance threshold? Still a fantastic car, but I see that as being a very odd question :p
CSL asked in the context of Joe making a comparison between the two along with the Track Pack car having a more plush ride. A valid question.
Honestly. I have wanted an R from day one. I remember watching the live stream when Ford Performance unveiled the car. I knew I HAD to have one. I really liked the TP, but the R is the cats meow. I do not dislike the harness of the ride. Having said that, this would NOT be a car I would want to drive daily. But then again, that's not what this car was designed for.

OP
OP
ITLRUN

ITLRUN

HiPo Joe
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R HR186
The tram-lining is insane. No knee driving this beast. Will you consider the Steeda G-Trac bar?

I felt that there was a lot more road noise in the R versus the 350 TP. But, I also did not have CUP2s on my TP. The R throws so many more rocks when the tires heat up. That and I think some of the rocks are throwing off roll bar plates which really makes for a nosier ride. No worries though, most the time I can only hear the engine/exhaust.
I would definitely consider the G-Trac bar if it actually helps solve the problem. You are absolutely correct about the tires. I am considering some sort of non- obtrusive ... Dare I say.. mud flap to protect the sides of the car from small rocks. I like JLT's Rock blockers, but that's not going to do enough. :shrug:

fuhrius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R, Focus RS, Raptor
Honestly. I have wanted an R from day one. I remember watching the live stream when Ford Performance unveiled the car. I knew I HAD to have one. I really liked the TP, but the R is the cats meow. I do not dislike the harness of the ride. Having said that, this would NOT be a car I would want to drive daily. But then again, that's not what this car was designed for.
no need to drive it in cold, wet weather...that's why Ford makes a focus RS ;-)

Your comments resonate for me. But I've always thought of some of the 'drawbacks' (like the tramlining and insane amount of noise) are just part of the character of the car. I don't have a radio in mine...and I have the rear seat delete kit out in favor of a big-ass rollbar...so the noise - including all the rocks flying into the rear wheel wells, is pretty crazy. I love it!

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
Had not thought of it from this perspective, good point. Although, I still think logically it would have been more logical to ask whether he preferred the R considering the harsher ride :cheers:
Sponsored