Intake Question

Readfast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
17 F350 King Ranch, 17 Focus RS
Recently a friend of mine put a FP Front Tow Hook on His 17 GT350. To do this you have to remove the whole front end of the car. After he did he noticed that 80%+ of the intake was blocked by the front grill. So he drilled some holes in the grill to capture more airflow.

Here's a Picture of the Grill back on the Car with the holes drilled.

IMG_2084[1].jpg

The only air that is getting into the intake is to the right of the pillar where the grill is actually open! So by drilling holes into the grill he was able to increase the airflow which should give the car more power?

So I guess my real question is why would Ford not have thought of this. And why has no other performance company thought of it?

And I'm I correct in my thinking, if the intake can get more air to the motor, the computer will compensate for this and add more power overall?

Any knowledge to this question would be appreciated.
Sponsored

rb92gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Cooled Tech
Ummm, is this for real?

More power, muhahahaha. You are joking right? Well, he created more open surface area for dirt and water to get in... I guess he could just drill hundreds of holes into each body panel, it will make the car lighter, every 100 lbs of weight lost is worth about 10hp. Okay seriously though, this is a naturally aspirated car, can only take in as much air as vacuum created by the engine to bring in the air. So, no, no power added by doing this.

TheDeadCow

Just some guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Hot Rod
Vehicle Showcase
That solid part on the grill is a baffle. It helps the air flow through the engine bay as the engineers intended. Since Ford seems to have intentionally created this baffle I assume that it's necessary. Just my .02

65sohc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Aside from the Ford GT this is the most thoroughly wind tunnel-tested Ford in history. The grill opening is blocked to reduce drag. (At least it was).

Sponsored

rb92gt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Cooled Tech
Holy Hell, LMAO. Maybe you should remove the CORSA logo under that super neato muffler mod, I bet they won't appreciate it. And to think some day some poor bastard is going to buy these cars used with a bunch of random holes drilled in them by psychopaths.

BlkGT3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 GT86 Autox, 16 GT350 TP, 06 Civic Si TTD car
Aside from the Ford GT this is the most thoroughly wind tunnel-tested Ford in history. The grill opening is blocked to reduce drag. (At least it was).
It might be the most wind tunnel tested BUT they didn't do a very good job with the hood flapping at speeds over 130mph.

Peter

Sponsored

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17GT350AG/BS-MGW/UPR/ABLIP
Ford has made mistakes early F350 diesel sucked in air from opening near bottom of radiator facing down. Since I'm in Florida I was always finding sand and road debris in the air box. I cut some holes in the dark areas of the facial plastic, far enough down I inject water when driving in heavy rain, but I do collect a few bees and wasps carcasses, air filter stays clean much longer. BUT, I don't think Voodoo is starving for air, or suffering crap pickup.

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack - Race Red, Blk Roof - G5405
What is interesting to note is Ford's implementation of a Ram Air inlet. The funnel-like shape of the inlet (larger area where air first enters smoothly transitioning to a smaller area) will increase the flow velocity and/or air density, which generally makes more power.

Driving at 60MPH, not only is the engine sucking in air from behind, but the ambient air is hitting that Ram Air inlet at 60MPH, and is getting faster and more dense as it continues to be constricted as it flows in.

Redline8250

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Like I stole it.
That solid part on the grill is a baffle. It helps the air flow through the engine bay as the engineers intended. Since Ford seems to have intentionally created this baffle I assume that it's necessary. Just my .02
The GT350 has a larger grille opening then the GT350R.

raiderjatt02

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jessie
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Track Pack; 1995 GT - Saleen Clone
The GT350 has a larger grille opening then the GT350R.
That's because the larger splitter on the R's changed the airflow enough that they needed to adjust the grille opening to maintain proper airflow.
Sponsored