Sponsored

installing a real tach. who's done it?

VicRattlehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 RS1 Roush EcoBoost
who's put in a real tach into these cars?? do you need a tach adapter or can it wire into the stock harness somehow. if so how? I've got an Autometer sport comp playback tach I want to put in just mainly for the shift light. I can get the playback data off the datalog.
IMG_8220.jpeg
Sponsored

TexasMetallic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 Ram 1500 4x4
Autometer 9117 should be what you need.
DESCRIPTION:
This fully potted, weatherproof module can be wired into the power supply of a coil per cylinder ignition system, where it senses current and creates a conventional 12V square wave signal output which can be utilized by AutoMeter tachometers and many aftermarket RPM activated devices. Ideal for vehicles with late model engine swaps and applications where conventional tachometer signals are not available.

E9725C72-ED99-421E-B253-8035DA19C4FB.jpeg

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I installed a Nitrous Outlet progressive controller in my 2019 Bullitt which reads rpm. I didn’t use a tach adapter. I only had to tap into the coil negative wire to get the signal (used the #1 coil negative wire purple/white).

TexasMetallic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 Ram 1500 4x4

Sponsored

OP
OP
VicRattlehead

VicRattlehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 RS1 Roush EcoBoost
According to everything I googled while wasting time and looking this up.
I only question it because of the reply above saying to tap the #1 neg coil wire. That’s all.

Fabman

Open hood, insert money.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sal
Vehicle(s)
2006 mustang gt
I have but the tach bounces wildly making it unusable.

At speed its even worse. We installed the tach digital adapter kit, also installed the autometer resistor kit as recommended by Auto Meter and made sure all connections were solid.
The tach is connected to the coil wire (we tried both sides) and engine ground....all of the right things yet I still have this bounce.
I'm out of ideas....

EDIT: Although I have an s197 it has a gen 2 Coyote in it so the engine harness is the same as the OP.

Last edited:

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I don’t have that issue with bouncing rpm. Mine is smooth and steady. I soldered an extension wire onto the factory coil negative and put a quick connector on the end to plug into my controller.

OP
OP
VicRattlehead

VicRattlehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 RS1 Roush EcoBoost
I have but the tach bounces wildly making it unusable.

At speed its even worse. We installed the tach digital adapter kit, also installed the autometer resistor kit as recommended by Auto Meter and made sure all connections were solid.
The tach is connected to the coil wire (we tried both sides) and engine ground....all of the right things yet I still have this bounce.
I'm out of ideas....

EDIT: Although I have an s197 it has a gen 2 Coyote in it so the engine harness is the same as the OP.
As for your edit. I’m in a 2.3 car lol

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
A real tach? There's no distributor for a mechanical cable hookup. Or a cable adapter on the back of the alternator. Now if you want one of those large face voltmeter (cut thats what an electric tach is) with a shift light on it, that tach adapter in TexasMetallic's post is what you need to use an old fashioned electric tach for distributor ignition motors.

Sponsored

Fabman

Open hood, insert money.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sal
Vehicle(s)
2006 mustang gt
A real tach? There's no distributor for a mechanical cable hookup. Or a cable adapter on the back of the alternator. Now if you want one of those large face voltmeter (cut thats what an electric tach is) with a shift light on it, that tach adapter in TexasMetallic's post is what you need to use an old fashioned electric tach for distributor ignition motors.
That's what I have.

OP
OP
VicRattlehead

VicRattlehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 RS1 Roush EcoBoost
I was referring to the Mustang generation. IE s197 vs s550
What you said here...
EDIT: Although I have an s197 it has a gen 2 Coyote in it so the engine harness is the same as the OP.... Being the op, I don’t have a gen2 coyote in my car so I don’t have the harness in there either. I’ve got a 2.3 eco so I’ve got a eco harness. Lol no biggie.

Fabman

Open hood, insert money.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sal
Vehicle(s)
2006 mustang gt
What you said here...
EDIT: Although I have an s197 it has a gen 2 Coyote in it so the engine harness is the same as the OP.... Being the op, I don’t have a gen2 coyote in my car so I don’t have the harness in there either. I’ve got a 2.3 eco so I’ve got a eco harness. Lol no biggie.
Yeah, I get it...we're the same, but we're not. Got it.

BMAGOO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS, 2016 Explorer Sport, 2015 Ram 1500 Sport, 1968 Firebird
Vehicle Showcase
Why didn't you just buy a Holley shifter light ? It plugs directly into the obd2 port.
Sponsored