Sponsored

If you have the manual S550, remove the clutch spring. Instructions linked

sharp21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Day 3 with the car, just removed the spring.

Didn't know about it before reading it here, but wasn't happy with the clutch action. It feels much more consistent now. Very happy

S.
Sponsored

doodguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush Stage 1 Supercharged Mustang GT
So I just did this. The spring was WAY bigger than it looked in the picture on the post linked on page 1, but it took me 2 minutes to look at it AND pull it total.

My wife LOVES the way it drives now.

I am unsure. It feels a little stiffer for sure. With my RxT Twin Disc clutch, the clutch wasn't engaging until I let the clutch out almost all the way to the top. Now it engages almost immediately, but not in a bad way. Its like the clutch smoothly engages as you let up on the pedal, and doesn't jerk at all.

I am curious about the spring I read somewhere in these posts to ease the tension of the clutch pedal while keeping this improved clutch feel. Can anyone point me in the right direction there?

Thank you

bravohankins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium, Ingot Silver
Just did this delete. Feels better. I thought I was going crazy trying to get shifting this car down pat. I have had nothing but manual cars since I was 16 years old....LOL.

We'll see how it is in traffic on the morning commute tomorrow.

AM Update......wow what a difference!

Clutch is a little harder to push down and returns with a little more force, but much easier to shift and at least now you can find the catch point on a consistent basis. Much better to drive.

Last edited:

RickyBobby

USMC
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
blake
Vehicle(s)
2016 ecoboost
Done and done! Thanks for the helpful post!!!!

TheWildman

Jazz Master
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2018 Kona EcoBoost Base (PP)
Got mine out a month ago when I installed my CAI. Feels so much better!

Sponsored

ECM90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang
Met up with [MENTION=18599]iEcobeast[/MENTION] today for the NOVA meet. He introduced me to the spring delete. Took 30 seconds to do. All I did was depress the clutch all the way down and pull the spring horizontally to remove it.

Clutch feels 100 times better. A lot more linear on the feel, as well as more aggressive. Everyone should stop what there doing now to take care of this 30 second mod. Game changer.

iEcobeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang Ecoboost Performance Pack
Met up with [MENTION=18599]iEcobeast[/MENTION] today for the NOVA meet. He introduced me to the spring delete. Took 30 seconds to do. All I did was depress the clutch all the way down and pull the spring horizontally to remove it.

Clutch feels 100 times better. A lot more linear on the feel, as well as more aggressive. Everyone should stop what there doing now to take care of this 30 second mod. Game changer.
No prob!

volinbham

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT convertible
Finally did it. Similar results to everyone (well almost everyone). Harder clutch feel at first but 2 days in I don't notice.

Much smoother in 1st and 2nd. More in line with the other manual cars I've had.

Definitely an upgrade. Super easy too.

ZFLYN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550 mustang V6 -> 2016 GTPP 6M
I did it yesterday, and clutch got heavier but more linear as other reviewers mentioned earlier.

But, believe or not, this morning when I was coming home, I slightly noticed that clutch is not coming back fully (I would say it mas be just the pedal itself. I could feel clutch pedal is kinda loose when it is not pressed.) so I decided put it back in since my left foot already knows where the engaging point is..

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I did it yesterday, and clutch got heavier but more linear as other reviewers mentioned earlier.

But, believe or not, this morning when I was coming home, I slightly noticed that clutch is not coming back fully (I would say it mas be just the pedal itself. I could feel clutch pedal is kinda loose when it is not pressed.) so I decided put it back in since my left foot already knows where the engaging point is..
That's why people put in a softer assist spring ... so the pedal still comes all the way up and gives you that better linear pedal feeling.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44273

Sponsored

AttiS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
That's why people put in a softer assist spring ... so the pedal still comes all the way up and gives you that better linear pedal feeling.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44273
What kind of damage could I be doing without the spring, I have had it out for months now and definitely have about a half inch of dead space at the top. I do not have any of the spring housing anymore either, is there a way to buy a new one?

ZFLYN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550 mustang V6 -> 2016 GTPP 6M
What kind of damage could I be doing without the spring, I have had it out for months now and definitely have about a half inch of dead space at the top. I do not have any of the spring housing anymore either, is there a way to buy a new one?
According to steeda, it will eventually cause leaking from slave cylinder.

'Many new Mustang owners have found that taking out the stock OE spring will give you somewhat similar results, but realistically the clutch becomes far too heavy especially if your Mustang is daily driven. Most owners fail to realize the prolonged effects of simply taking out your factory OE spring and not replacing it with another spring. By negating your factory clutch assist spring you will notice chatter/NVH from your clutch pedal. Your clutch pedal will never fully return to stock position without any assist spring, and over time your slave cylinder may begin leaking due to constant pressure on its seals from the clutch pedal not returning to the stock position.
Better get replacement from steeda or other brand.'

I understand that stock spring is bad but it is necessary in order to operate it properly without any possibility of damage.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
We have a great package here, including the spring & spring perch. Often, people break the OE spring perch when installing the new springs ... we have a solution:

http://www.steeda.com/steeda-mustang-clutch-spring-assist-spring-perch-kit-555-7027/

From Ford, you have to replace the whole clutch assembly if the OE part fails ... which costs well over $100.

Let me know if I can help assist with your order!

Best Regards,

TJ

dgc333

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
According to steeda, it will eventually cause leaking from slave cylinder.

'Many new Mustang owners have found that taking out the stock OE spring will give you somewhat similar results, but realistically the clutch becomes far too heavy especially if your Mustang is daily driven. Most owners fail to realize the prolonged effects of simply taking out your factory OE spring and not replacing it with another spring. By negating your factory clutch assist spring you will notice chatter/NVH from your clutch pedal. Your clutch pedal will never fully return to stock position without any assist spring, and over time your slave cylinder may begin leaking due to constant pressure on its seals from the clutch pedal not returning to the stock position.
Better get replacement from steeda or other brand.'

I understand that stock spring is bad but it is necessary in order to operate it properly without any possibility of damage.
I have had the spring out for over 30k miles now. The feel is drastically improved and if anything it is still lighter than I prefer for clutch feel.

There is absolutely ZERO change in NVH and absolute ZERO chatter. It doesn't make any sense that it would impact the actual performance of the clutch.

Not sure why Steeda says it will cause the system to leak without a spring. It is really no different than your brakes which always has some residual pressure in it and clutch system operates at a much lower pressure. I think it'd just marketing hype.

The first time I heard someone mention the peddle doesn't return I started checking periodically with my toe and I have seen it not fully returned.
Sponsored