Sponsored

If you have the manual S550, remove the clutch spring. Instructions linked

Horse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
300 hp with 3 pedals
Pulled mine out just last night with 4k on the odometer. This mornings cummute was much more enjoyable. The weight differnce is not noticable, not even sure why its being mentioned. In fact, i'd make the case that there is more effort with the spring in with all the feathering, creeping, slipping, ect. you do trying to use clutch with no feeling, especially at parking lot speeds.
I remember reading somewhere that the clutch spring in the V6 is thinner (so not as strong) than the V8/EB and consequently the clutch feeling of V6 is close to normal even with the spring. As you have the V6, what is your comment? Was it very bad or manageable with the spring in? Thanks.
Sponsored

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT
This mornings cummute was much more enjoyable. The weight differnce is not noticable, not even sure why its being mentioned.
Excellent. Yeah its probably 0.02 difference.

Because race car. :)

Blaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black V6 Vert, manual, 051A, 3:55, no spoiler
I remember reading somewhere that the clutch spring in the V6 is thinner (so not as strong) than the V8/EB and consequently the clutch feeling of V6 is close to normal even with the spring.

You're misinformed. The difference in the V6 is monster. The clutch uptake experience goes from absolute sh*t to excellent.

As for downward pressure on the clutch pedal .... to subjective to comment on.

Yeah Nah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic GT Fastback
I would bet significant funds that the reason the clutch spring is so strong (thus making the pedal very light) is because it's a global car now. Some of those markets want light clutches no matter what.
Nah, a lighter clutch will attract more female buyers and those males that have no meat on their legs.

robobat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang V6 051a, 6spd manual, 3.55 rear
The feeling with the V6 clutch spring is horrible. As others have said, having the spring out makes the car 100% better to drive. There is some worry about the clutch not returning fully off of engagement as it does sag about 1/2" but I can't detect any unnecessary wear through the feeling of the clutch when it is at this position.

I have no intention of ever putting my spring back in unless there is an engineer that could shed some light on the purpose of that spring (aside from it assisting with the clutch force). I haven't found any evidence of unnecessary wear on the clutch bearing ever since folks have been removing them in 2007 (unless they're just not talking about it)

Sponsored

Horse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
300 hp with 3 pedals
Thanks for commenting on V6 clutch. I don't have a V6 (or a mustang), so no first hand experience.

Here is probably where I got/learned that the V6 has a (close to) normal clutch (youtube video, set to start at 8:17)

Not trying to be difficult or anything, just for friendly discussions.

robobat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang V6 051a, 6spd manual, 3.55 rear
Yeah, watched his review before I got the car. Not sure what to say... perhaps some will like the spring in. But I can confirm by having the spring out, the car performs more like a mustang should (and as you would expect). Maybe going from the harder ecoboost clutch to the v6 made it feel different is my guess. Either way, no spring equals a much better drive from my experience. But that is the beauty of personal experience, to each their own. Plus this is the cheapest mod you can do to improve your driving experience (and easily reversible if you don't like it)

n8rfastback

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, PP, Comp Orange. 65 Fastback ,T5, 302
Well I found the perfect replacement for the stock spring! I'll let you guys take a bunch of guesses first though before I spill the beans.....

n8rfastback

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No one is wondering at all what spring will work in place of the stock one? It's just enough pressure to return peddle to full rearward position, and it still feels like there's no spring installed.

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV

n8rfastback

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Doh! I looked right over that one. I'll post there and take this conversation over there....

Digital_Synapse

Mass Effect Field Expert
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Triple Yellow Mustang GT PP
I just did this 1hr ago and the fuking spring shot out and hit my right eye ball. Hurt so bad. I thought I was going to go blind. But I am ok.
Please wear safety glasses.
Clutch feels great :headbang:
I have no idea why but I laughed so hard I cried when I read this. Sorry.

evanescent03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 bmw m3
gotta love free and easy mods. i've test driven a couple GTPP cars and my current car (2016 m3) is far easier to drive smoothly. obviously i'm used to my car but after even an extended test drive i thought i would've been getting better with the GTPP. glad to hear there's an easy remedy to improve the feel! this is definitely a day1 mod when i get the car.

thanks for sharing!

MustangCollector

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various vintage shelbys
saw this thread earlier and i removed the spring just earlier on the side of the road, OMG it feels so much better and smoother to engage it almost feels as if the car now has a dual clutch compared to some of my hot rods.

great idea and im glad i read this today after owning my car for 1 year i wish i did this sooner. i also do not feel the buzz from the clutch pedal anymore when in gear at higher rpm
Sponsored