Sponsored

If Mach E had a gas engine, would it still be a dud?

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
Like the subject line asks, do you think that if the Mach E wasn't electric and had a gasoline engine in it - would it be better?

Depending on the engine, it probably would compete with the sportier SUVs out there. Especially the Mach E GT trim with some kind of big V8 in it.
Maybe a BMW X5 or Audi Q5 competitor with cheaper interior but more performance?

Instead, the Mach E electric currently sits on dealer lots being used as a catering vehicle... serving lunch to the employees while they don't sell to consumers.

1714750534633-cl.png
Sponsored

robvas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yup

It would never have been made, though it's like asking if it would've been a motorcycle would it have been a dud

detamble13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Camaro SS LS3
Initially I thought the Mach E sold fairly well and is now just starting to languish on lots. The biggest mistake was placing the Mustang name on an SUV but that probably only influences the decision of those that actually care about cars.

The larger challenge for automakers EV product line is keeping people buying EV's. Some customers will return to gas if they grow tired of longer refueling, reduced range due to temperature, or higher cost of repair after an accident. My brother in law owns a Mach E and looked at trading it in after about a year as he changes cars pretty frequently. He didn't give me a number but he would have taken a large loss as the vehicles depreciation was "shocking". So he's still driving it.

I think the Mach E would have had a better chance of sustained success if equipped with a gas engine.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Yes it would still be a dud.

It’s not a true Mustang. A Mustang was never an SUV, CUV or any derivative of a “mini van” or a vehicle with 4 doors.

Sponsored

Snellemin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt, '14 Expedition, Merc C300, Scion xb,
My opinion...better color choices and a totally different name would of been the proper way to go sales wise.
Now if it had an actual V8 in that thing, it would of sold better for sure. AWD even better, heck we could of used the AWD parts to make the Stang a AWD monster. Well for those that wouldn't be offended by such a thing.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
It's a dud cause FORD attached the MUSTANG name to it. If they would only call it the MACH E, 9:1 odds it'd sell much more units.

MD18EcoStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
It's a dud cause FORD attached the MUSTANG name to it. If they would only call it the MACH E, 9:1 odds it'd sell much more units.
How many people are holding back just because of the name? The only ones offended are the afficionados. You think they'd all buy a "Mach E" just because it wasn't a Mustang?

P.S. I despise the naming of it, too. But, if I was in the market for something like that (I'm not), I'd consider it.

momalle1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
It's fine for what it is now, it's just not a Mustang, even with a gas engine.

Sponsored

furdfan2018

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Tesla owns the EV market because a $35k Model 3 dominates the "Mach E" in every measurable performance category, looks better, and is actually American made.

That's why the Mach E is not selling, because they suck.

The market has spoken.

daSNAK3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I think it would have been more successful if it had a ICE. Most Mustang people don’t want an EV, just facts. We have 4 kids, so I wouldn’t have minded a ICE suv, I used to have a TBSS back in the day, so I like suvs that can get down… just not EV.

OP
OP
Crew4991

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
Tesla owns the EV market because a $35k Model 3 dominates the "Mach E" in every measurable performance category, looks better, and is actually American made.

That's why the Mach E is not selling, because they suck.

The market has spoken.
I agree with everything you said. The Tesla models are better over the Mach E in many ways. If I remember correctly, the Model 3 won one of those awards for being most "American" in the past having some parts and assembly in the US. Not sure if that is still the case but at some point the Model 3 won that award. Kind of silly though as honestly I don't think there are any vehicles that are 100% made in the US. Globalization, cheap labor and cheap parts changed that long ago.

I think it would have been more successful if it had a ICE. Most Mustang people don’t want an EV, just facts. We have 4 kids, so I wouldn’t have minded a ICE suv, I used to have a TBSS back in the day, so I like suvs that can get down… just not EV.
I just wondering if a gas version... even a HYBRID version of an SUV styled mustang would have been a better sell. Sort of like the 911 sports car and the Cayenne/Macan SUVs. There is a larger, more performance orientated family car available in gas version.

I get that most would just say that the rest of the lineup Ford has is the family oriented alternative, but besides the ST or Raptor editions on Ford SUVs/Trucks there isn't really a gasoline family mustang SUV to pick from. Would have been an interesting alternative with a thirsty V8 rumbling under the hood of a somewhat* stylish performance SUV as someone sits in the school pickup lane LOL.

daSNAK3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jake
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I agree with everything you said. The Tesla models are better over the Mach E in many ways. If I remember correctly, the Model 3 won one of those awards for being most "American" in the past having some parts and assembly in the US. Not sure if that is still the case but at some point the Model 3 won that award. Kind of silly though as honestly I don't think there are any vehicles that are 100% made in the US. Globalization, cheap labor and cheap parts changed that long ago.

I just wondering if a gas version... even a HYBRID version of an SUV styled mustang would have been a better sell. Sort of like the 911 sports car and the Cayenne/Macan SUVs. There is a larger, more performance orientated family car available in gas version.

I get that most would just say that the rest of the lineup Ford has is the family oriented alternative, but besides the ST or Raptor editions on Ford SUVs/Trucks there isn't really a gasoline family mustang SUV to pick from. Would have been an interesting alternative with a thirsty V8 rumbling under the hood of a somewhat* stylish performance SUV as someone sits in the school pickup lane LOL.
Yep, I had a RWD TBSS.. I would have been cool with a RWD “Mustang” SUV with a 5.0… toss some boost on it and I could take my whole family with me.

Rael

Grateful Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
It's Mustang Mock-ery.
Sponsored