Sponsored

If Engine Replaced, Did You Keep Original Engine?

notacivilian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Christopher
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350, white w/black stripes.
Hi all,
New member here. Chassis #H2858, 2017 with 20K miles.

Just purchased it three weeks ago, and wouldn't you know it, after checking the oil about every 100 miles or so, mine appears to use more than 1 quart per 500 miles. I have driven the car a total of 490 miles and it's down at least a quart. No track days, mostly low rpm cruising. I am beside myself right now. I have scheduled an oil consumption test with my dealer.

I thought I was buying a one owner, local car, because that's what the dealer told me. Turns out, after finding original paperwork in the glove box, after the purchase, and buying a carfax report, the car had two previous owners and originally came from another State.

My question is this; If Ford replaced your original engine, did you keep the original engine? Was it an option? Considering the potential value of Shelby's from the past, if I had the original engine, it would be more valuable. Thoughts?
Sponsored

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
You do not get to keep it and they won’t let you buy it. It gets sent back to FP and they probably look it over then melt it down. Search in here, lots of posts and threads on this very topic.

Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
If Ford is plunking down $20k to replace your engine, they very much want the old one back either for research purposes to see what failed or possibly to re-condition.

You ain't getting it back, even if you offer to pay.

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
OR they don't want anyone including dealerships to completely break the engine down to find out what really is causing so many engine failures. You know there's got to be a reason they won't do anything for oil consumption unless using more than a quart every 500 miles. Its honorable that they no questions asked will replace the engine if it goes down under Fords guidelines. But sooner or later everyone is going to run out of powertrain warranty. Then your up a creek without a paddle.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
But sooner or later everyone is going to run out of powertrain warranty. Then your up a creek without a paddle.
Hello; This has been on my mind. I had planed to buy new and have the factory warranty to fall back on. I have been avoiding the used year models with the coyote engines over concerns of serious engine issues. I guess my question is for those who do not have any more warranty and wind up with a bad engine.
I have rebuilt a 351 Windsor in the past that turned out well. Near as I can tell with the new type plasma lining, ( 2018 +)it cannot be resurfaced. I do not know if you can bore it out and install a sleeve. I figure some are in this situation now. I see used GT's in my area. Just not yet sure if buying used is a good bet?

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I think these guys are talking about the Voodoo engine in the GT350 and not the Coyote engine in the GT. I don't remember hearing about many Coyote engine replacements.

Hello; This has been on my mind. I had planed to buy new and have the factory warranty to fall back on. I have been avoiding the used year models with the coyote engines over concerns of serious engine issues. I guess my question is for those who do not have any more warranty and wind up with a bad engine.
I have rebuilt a 351 Windsor in the past that turned out well. Near as I can tell with the new type plasma lining, ( 2018 +)it cannot be resurfaced. I do not know if you can bore it out and install a sleeve. I figure some are in this situation now. I see used GT's in my area. Just not yet sure if buying used is a good bet?

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
I think these guys are talking about the Voodoo engine in the GT350 and not the Coyote engine in the GT. I don't remember hearing about many Coyote engine replacements.
Hello; Thanks.

Sponsored

Rubyred17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Hi all,
New member here. Chassis #H2858, 2017 with 20K miles.

Just purchased it three weeks ago, and wouldn't you know it, after checking the oil about every 100 miles or so, mine appears to use more than 1 quart per 500 miles. I have driven the car a total of 490 miles and it's down at least a quart. No track days, mostly low rpm cruising. I am beside myself right now. I have scheduled an oil consumption test with my dealer.

I thought I was buying a one owner, local car, because that's what the dealer told me. Turns out, after finding original paperwork in the glove box, after the purchase, and buying a carfax report, the car had two previous owners and originally came from another State.

My question is this; If Ford replaced your original engine, did you keep the original engine? Was it an option? Considering the potential value of Shelby's from the past, if I had the original engine, it would be more valuable. Thoughts?
When you go to the Ford dealer ask them to run an OAISIS report to show the entire warranty history

526 HRSE

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Grabber Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Coyote engines?

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
I have a 16 with 35,000 miles and zero problems, if I had a problem with the engine I would pull the engine and fix it. That's what car guys do!

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
I have a 16 with 35,000 miles and zero problems, if I had a problem with the engine I would pull the engine and fix it. That's what car guys do!
Well not everybody has the knowledge or capability to do that but that doesn't make them not car guys.
Sponsored