junits15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
ah
Yes. History has shown us they will never stop re-using classic names. They did it with the Corvette (The new mid engine should not be called Corvette), they did it with the Multimatic Mustang, the Mach E Mustang, Dodge with the Challenger/Charger.

It will never end.
ah yes the sacred relics:
car names
:rolleyes:
Sponsored

Coastal-Mach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2023 BMW M440i, 2020 Ram 1500, 2021 Jeep JK
Hey Dave, do you remember borrowing one of your Dad’s business cards and soaking it in lighter fluid to clean those points before gapping them? Which, BTW, I thought always worked just as well as a dwell meter without having to buy one. And then there was the time honored method of cleaning spark plugs with a dip into the lawn mower gas followed by lighting them up and a wire brush rubdown. It wasn’t easy being a broke-azz teenager but it was fun!
Good ole Blue Point points and condenser, the narrow end of a pack of matches worked great for setting points. Good times and good memories, I still have all my old school tools as well.

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Ah, the youth of today, I tell ya! Back in my day, a car wasn't just a way to get from point A to point B. It was a symbol of freedom, a rolling testament to horsepower, and a roaring declaration of rebellion. You'd get behind the wheel of a Mustang GT350 or a Camaro, and it was like strapping a rocket to your back. The engine would roar, the tires would screech, and you'd feel like you were in a scene from "Bullitt," even if you were just going to the grocery store.

But these kids nowadays? Nope. They don't want all that noise, all that raw power. Oh, no! They'd rather zip around in their electric cars, quiet as a church mouse on a Sunday morning, with their noses glued to their 12-inch touchscreens. "Oh, look, it has a built-in espresso maker!" "Hey, it parks itself!" What’s next, a car that sings you lullabies while it drives you to work? Gimme a break!

They don't appreciate the beauty of a V8 engine. The deep, throaty rumble that makes your heart skip a beat and your neighbors call the cops. You see, with these old-school muscle cars, you felt every bump in the road, every gust of wind, and every ounce of gasoline burning through your wallet. It was like taming a beast, and it made you feel alive! But these electric contraptions? You'd hardly notice if you hit a pothole the size of the Grand Canyon, let alone if you were going a hundred miles an hour.

And let's talk about those gizmos! Do these kids even drive their cars, or do they just sit there swiping and tapping away, like they're playing a video game? They've got more technology in their dashboards than we had on the Apollo missions. "Oh, look at me, I can control the air conditioning with my voice!" Yeah, but can you change a tire? Can you fix a busted radiator hose with duct tape and a prayer? I didn't think so!

These kids think they're saving the planet by driving electric cars, but let's be honest—they're just doing it because it's the trendy thing to do. Back in my day, we didn't care about trends. We cared about power, about feeling the road beneath us, about turning every drive into a mini-adventure. And sure, maybe we burned a little more fuel than we should've, but you can't put a price on excitement, am I right?

So go ahead, kids, keep playing with your touchscreens and whisper-quiet engines. I'll be here in my Mustang, revving the engine and watching the world shake with every press of the gas pedal. Because when it comes to cars, I'll take raw power over fancy gizmos any day. You can keep your electric marshmallows—I want my muscle cars with a side of thunder and a whole lotta smoke!

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Ah, the youth of today, I tell ya! Back in my day, a car wasn't just a way to get from point A to point B. It was a symbol of freedom, a rolling testament to horsepower, and a roaring declaration of rebellion. You'd get behind the wheel of a Mustang GT350 or a Camaro, and it was like strapping a rocket to your back. The engine would roar, the tires would screech, and you'd feel like you were in a scene from "Bullitt," even if you were just going to the grocery store.

But these kids nowadays? Nope. They don't want all that noise, all that raw power. Oh, no! They'd rather zip around in their electric cars, quiet as a church mouse on a Sunday morning, with their noses glued to their 12-inch touchscreens. "Oh, look, it has a built-in espresso maker!" "Hey, it parks itself!" What’s next, a car that sings you lullabies while it drives you to work? Gimme a break!

They don't appreciate the beauty of a V8 engine. The deep, throaty rumble that makes your heart skip a beat and your neighbors call the cops. You see, with these old-school muscle cars, you felt every bump in the road, every gust of wind, and every ounce of gasoline burning through your wallet. It was like taming a beast, and it made you feel alive! But these electric contraptions? You'd hardly notice if you hit a pothole the size of the Grand Canyon, let alone if you were going a hundred miles an hour.

And let's talk about those gizmos! Do these kids even drive their cars, or do they just sit there swiping and tapping away, like they're playing a video game? They've got more technology in their dashboards than we had on the Apollo missions. "Oh, look at me, I can control the air conditioning with my voice!" Yeah, but can you change a tire? Can you fix a busted radiator hose with duct tape and a prayer? I didn't think so!

These kids think they're saving the planet by driving electric cars, but let's be honest—they're just doing it because it's the trendy thing to do. Back in my day, we didn't care about trends. We cared about power, about feeling the road beneath us, about turning every drive into a mini-adventure. And sure, maybe we burned a little more fuel than we should've, but you can't put a price on excitement, am I right?

So go ahead, kids, keep playing with your touchscreens and whisper-quiet engines. I'll be here in my Mustang, revving the engine and watching the world shake with every press of the gas pedal. Because when it comes to cars, I'll take raw power over fancy gizmos any day. You can keep your electric marshmallows—I want my muscle cars with a side of thunder and a whole lotta smoke!
IMG_2945.gif

NPTR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350R HEP
Wow…this one is really resonating…folks getting political, nostalgic, emotional, all in the same post. Ironic thing is for me, right below your post was a sponsor’s ad for solid panels.

Just my two cents, but you can appreciate an NA V8 like I do, but also understand the value proposition of an EV for many buyers, and this is coming from a guy that just built a new house with nat gas and owns only ICE cars. EVs are not for me, but I get it - the relatively simplicity, the power delivery, lack of sound, tech…I can see why it’s appealing to many, without getting all right / left on it. I have two mechanic friends as well, one at BMW and one at Ford, and both own gas cars and a Tesla. It’s possible to appreciate both, just like it’s OK to enjoy rap, jazz and rock. Just because you appreciate one doesn’t mean we have to bash the other.

Folks who buy EVs purely to virtue signal, now that’s pathetic. But I know many who own various EVs because of the experience, and several are gear heads. I bought a Tacoma instead of a Rivian. A 350 instead of a Model 3 performance, and an X3M instead of a Model Y…and I still see why either choice in either class could make sense for a buyer. That’s OK!

And selfishly, we win either way - the more they destroy cars, the more special and valuable your already amazing 350 becomes. So I say screw it…I’ll add a GT4 RS to the stable in a few years, maybe a classic 60s70s muscle car in the next 10, and die a happy man with that garage…who cares what they decide to do. My dad only listens to classic rock, doesn’t give a sh** what comes out of the studios next…he’s got plenty to choose from!

Sponsored

wingnutt

Threads
Reaction score
MN, FL, WI, MO, KY, TN, CO, TX, CA, WA, TX again
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
350R avalanche gray
well, since this one got a little nostalgic…

All I know is…my boss drove his new Hellcat with the 1,000hp E85 upgrade to the airport the other day, and all was well. What we as pilots do, is call ahead on the return leg so the line guys (usually 20 or 30 something’s, as it’s a high turnover job) can preposition the car onto the tarmac, and pull it plane side when we taxi in.

So we are returning, and I call it in…upon landing I don’t see the Hellcat, only the blue RR Cullinan for his wife. Taxi in, shut the engine down, drop the door and there’s the 20-something line guy with Hellcat keys in his hand trying to quietly tell me that out of the 30 employees…none of them can drive a manual…kill me now 🥸

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
I’ll add a GT4 RS to the stable in a few years
I went to inquire about a GT4 RS and Jim Ellis Porsche told me that unless you have spent multiple six figures at the dealership, you would not get on the waiting list for a GT4 RS.

Great car, but unobtainable goal for most.

wingnutt

Threads
Reaction score
MN, FL, WI, MO, KY, TN, CO, TX, CA, WA, TX again
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
350R avalanche gray
I went to inquire about a GT4 RS and Jim Ellis Porsche told me that unless you have spent multiple six figures at the dealership, you would not get on the waiting list for a GT4 RS.

lol…have you seen the app for a GTD?!?

1714524778765-t1.jpg

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
none of them can drive a manual…kill me now 🥸
LOL. Considering most driving schools don’t even teach it on a simulator anymore, I’m not surprised. I learned on a simulator and in my dad’s car. The driver’s ed class had long ditched their manual cars for the Ford Taurus. And this was almost 30 years ago now.

Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
lol…have you seen the app for a GTD?!?

1714524778765-t1.jpg
The Ford GT application was similar from what I recall. I didn’t spend much time looking at it , way out of my price range even if I did get selected.

DarthMalice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 M0960; AT; Fighter Jet Gray
This GTD nonsense (as was the GT nonsense) is why Ford needs to either dust off the Pantera or Thunderbird name and make a reasonably priced mid-engine competitor to the C8. The C8 has been a success story-bringing in long time Vette owners and completely new buyers as well. The S550 Mustang certainly was too, but they are not really the same experience. As a kid with a wall of Countach pictures in the 80s, I have my eye on a C8 in a few years and would gladly give Ford that business instead.

Pws6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
IMO, young people don't care about cars in general, performance, EV or otherwise. There are, of course, exceptions to this, but overall a lot of young people don't even care if they ever have a license. They'll just jump in a uber or an autonomous taxi or take public transit or, worst of them all, one of those stupid electric scooters.

It's probably more of a result of old people saying obnoxious shit like this that makes young people not want to be around them. Same as every generation prior throughout history. There are plenty of young people who enjoy cars, just not the people associated with them.

OP
OP
young at heart

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec

That‘s interesting. I got EXACTLY the same story at the same dealership (longtime salesman’s name “B”) a little over a year ago when I was considering just a base 911 instead of a Mach 1. Worst part is, I was referred by my best friend who is literally one of their best long-standing customers. He always keeps three current year 911s with three more replacements on order so they’ll be availiable when his reach one year maturity. Plus, he always keeps two dedicated track cars and one DD for his son. He always trades his back in so they can make a double whammy. Point is, no better intro would be possible yet I was clearly and politely told that I’d need to buy a couple Cayennes and a garden variety Boxster or two over time to even be considered for the 911 list. He was a nice guy and I actually appreciated his honesty. In calling around to smaller dealers in neighboring states I got a similar story but in a way even worse. They said they were under credible threat from the Porsche mothership not to sell a new car to a non-local resident and in fact would not do so.

This has long been the Ferrari new car sales model but I hate seeing Porsche joining the trend.

So I took my money and grabbed a couple of Mach 1s. Turns out it was the right call.

Last edited:

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I believe I saw in another thread on this forum that the Shelby license was not renewed for S650. Couple that with the Dark Horse name instead of bringing back the Boss nameplate, the responses you received makes sense. A little shortsighted on Ford’s part IMO. Those of us that know and love the nameplates of old still have greater purchasing power than the new generation they’re targeting. What 20 to early 30 something is going to be able to shell out $65-$80k for a DH anyway?? Not many.

I get it, at some point you have to push forward, a mid cycle refresh seems to be the best timing for that IMO. Use the 60th to give us one last hit of the great names of the past and maybe with 65 year anniversary hit it with the new nameplates. But they clearly didn’t ask me LOL.
Let's face it, we are a dying breed. I was born in 1965 and am now 59. The enthusiasts of the muscle car era all all in their 70's and 80's.. Ford is not going to keep marketing to that demographic. I'm just hoping my right shoulder and left leg hold out so I can drive a manual into my 80's ... LOL>...
Sponsored