OP
OP
AZ_Ryan

AZ_Ryan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
So today I'm out walking the parking lot of my medical building getting my steps in on my lunch break. Not two spaces away from my incident, I see an older gentleman attempt to pull into a parking space and clip the parked car next to him. Same exact thing. Mind you these are WIDE spaces. The owner of the other car happened to be in her car when it happened and wasn't pleased. And yes, we both berated him and slapped him around a little.

I think I may start riding my bike to work. These geezers seriously can't park.

The update on my car is it took their insurance a week and a half to contact the owner. They wouldn't do anything for me before they contacted her. Today they finally agreed to the repair and started the process. The glacier is moving...
Sponsored

Gargoyle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang PP1
Iā€™m a middle aged driver and I can say without a doubt I hate bad young drivers more then old. Young drivers are just plain stupid always on their phones swerving into lanes, not moving when lights are green, getting into wrecks cause they spend all their time wanting to talk to their idiot friends that are not unique in any way and all think the same. Just sayin .. I can avoid older drivers but young ones are a constant ongoing hazardā€¦

Last edited:

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
So today I'm out walking the parking lot of my medical building
I think this ^ is part of the problem. The location you work at, industry you work in and state you live in is going to skew towards a higher instance of older people with impairment issues. I'll award you bonus points if the complex you work out of offers physical therapy or rehabilitation services.

Setting the entire age concern aside, most people don't go to the doctor unless they have a problem. Who knows how their driving abilities are being impacted the day of their appointment.

General purpose parking is probably at a premium during business hours. IDK if paid parking, something more exclusive would help reduce the odds of incidents. It isn't cheap, I know, but maybe a dedicated spot in a garage (if available). Weigh that against the anxiety, cost and time of the current situation. Being part of the medical community, maybe they'd offer a discount.

I think I may start riding my bike to work.
I stopped road cycling on most city roads a few years ago. If it isn't someone impaired or trying to tweet and drive at the same time, it's an impatient truck owner with a 10" wide exhaust system looking to coal someone. Pedestrians and cyclists in my area are run over almost weekly now. YMMV.

Last edited:

Scuba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
AZ_Ryan said:
I think I may start riding my bike to work.

1710329403525-cp.png

Sounds like a recipe to go from hater to hated.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Sounds like a recipe to go from hater to hated.
Every situation and environment are different and I can only speak to my experience.

CO is generally a bike-friendly state. In some areas, we're welcome. Others, even with dedicated bikes lanes, we're not.

I think we can all agree people in general drive more careless, aggressive and angrier than ever before. To cycle in urban areas, for me, the risks were not worth the rewards. If I were a motorcycle rider, I would feel same.

Last edited:

Sponsored

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
10am - 3pm around me is like driving a gauntlet of old people that should not have a DL
I couldnā€™t imagine driving in Florida.. lol

OldPhart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜05 GMC P/U, ā€˜17 Impala, 19 Bullitt
Hi - Statistics are nice but are like a bikini. What they reveal is interesting and what they cover up is vital. While we old guys may not be involved in actual crashes we have other issues. My wifeā€™s brother was driving @ age 90 and while he didnā€™t have any car/car accidents we knew of, both sides of his car had numerous scrapes from hitting the garage door frame. These are the circumstances where parking lot scrapes and dents can occur. Our eyes begin to fail in our latter years, cataracts develop, etc, and this can affect things like depth perception. I recently watched an older lady who could barely see over the dashboard slowly pull into a parking slot and go forward until she gently bumped the rear end of the car parked in front of her and then reversed the car about a foot, got out and went into the grocery store. I call that the bump & park technique. All you can do is try to park in remote spots and hope for the bestā€¦ Bruce

jayson_b24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jayson
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ecoboost Premium Convertible
In before all the convertible owners on this site start piling in to defend their generation

šŸ˜‰
I'm not THAT old, man...

Sponsored
OP
OP
AZ_Ryan

AZ_Ryan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
I think this ^ is part of the problem. The location you work at, industry you work in and state you live in is going to skew towards a higher instance of older people with impairment issues. I'll award you bonus points if the complex you work out of offers physical therapy or rehabilitation services.
Nice to see someone finally pick up on the context of my rant after 11 pages. šŸ¤£

Gregdd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
23 green mach1 manual p0022
I seem to remember the original post before it was edited. Everyone should have to hand in there licence at age 70. You said it. Why did you edit it ?

Pistol_91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang GT
Just quit your job and find a better place to work that allows for a safer parking lot. Old people are running loose behind the wheel. These modern cars are too much compared to the horse and carriage they grew up on.

OP
OP
AZ_Ryan

AZ_Ryan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
I seem to remember the original post before it was edited. Everyone should have to hand in there licence at age 70. You said it. Why did you edit it ?
Because it was a joke and all the snowflakes took it literally. I've actually posted that 3 times now.
Sponsored