How to pass emissions with catless headers

David16

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I have a 2016 mustang gt with texas speed long tube headers. I have a CEL due to being catless. Do I need o2 extenders, defoulers, or mini cats? My state doesnt do visual inspection, only OBDII. I need the monitors to be "ready", plus i want to get rid of the light lol.
Sponsored

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Get defoulers to get rid of the code. Your cat monitor may not go green but you can pass an obd2 test with one not ready monitor as long as you have no cel. (In most states)

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
Get defoulers to get rid of the code. Your cat monitor may not go green but you can pass an obd2 test with one not ready monitor as long as you have no cel. (In most states)

Not with an 02 not ready code. Most states allow one, but not that one.

To the OP, get the defoulers and see if that gets rid of the CEL. If you don't have the CEL that means your readiness codes should be OK. The issue you may run into is if they look under the car. A lot of states are going the Cali route.

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Not with an 02 not ready code. Most states allow one, but not that one.

To the OP, get the defoulers and see if that gets rid of the CEL. If you don't have the CEL that means your readiness codes should be OK. The issue you may run into is if they look under the car. A lot of states are going the Cali route.
Federal emissions allow one not ready including o2. I cant speak to how most states enforce things but arizona absolutely will pass you as long as there are no cel codes and one monitor, even o2 not ready. I just went through it in another vehicle.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Do I need o2 extenders, defoulers, or mini cats?
you'll get a CELL with green/hi-flow whatever CATS. Yer best bet is to get the rear o2's out of the exhaust flow. Defoulers would be yer friend here. No guarantees though.

Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
That's interesting. I wonder if there are any advantages to replacing the spacer in mine? The spacer got rid of the code/CEL when I had to go to a higher flow cat. I'm in an emissions area and have passed the last two years without issue. They do do a visual inspection but it's very cursory. Anyway, if either were seen it would probably fail. I'm just wondering if that little device could/would change or improve operation. I haven't noticed any difference or loss from using the spacer so I guess I should just leave it be. Unless???

HKusp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
That's interesting. I wonder if there are any advantages to replacing the spacer in mine? The spacer got rid of the code/CEL when I had to go to a higher flow cat. I'm in an emissions area and have passed the last two years without issue. They do do a visual inspection but it's very cursory. Anyway, if either were seen it would probably fail. I'm just wondering if that little device could/would change or improve operation. I haven't noticed any difference or loss from using the spacer so I guess I should just leave it be. Unless???
I would leave it as is. I have these and the "mini cat" portion is an absolute joke. But they got the 02 code to go away.
Sponsored