Sponsored

Hood Corrosion Nightmare

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
You all know how I love my car and speak highly of it as far as putting a lot of miles on it and how durable it has been since day 1. Car has been bullet proof for me since day 1/mile 2 all the way till 70,000 miles. Total cost of repairs I have paid for this car out of my pocket has been $250 or less.

That being said, it seems like my luck with the car has run out. I have hit the dreaded hood rust issue. Yes the warranty covers the repair but no one tells you what's involved in the repair. I was informed at first that I would receive a brand new hood in factory/OEM condition with matching color/paint material/thickness. In other words, I drop my car off and pick it up in same condition minus the rust.

Well 2+ months later, after a brand new hood that has been thrown out and a second new hood ordered, the body shop isnt able to match the color (race red). Its coming out either with too much orange or too less of orange. They are now saying there is no way to match this color and they dont know what to do. It is such a massive pain in the ass that I would argue I would prefer an engine failing due to oil consumption or worse than to deal with this. Because this is a mess and there is no easy way out whereas engine replacement, as painful as it might be, makes the car as whole/back to normal.

The service manager and service people have been very nice/helpful overall but I think even they werent aware of some of the finer details such as:

- Body panels that arrive from the factory come unpainted.
- They come covered with a special anti corrosion coating (they are all black) and that you only have 1 shot at painting these panels. You cannot paint them, screw up, and strip the paint (if you do, with the stripping of the paint comes off the anti corrosion coating - and more rust potential).
- You cannot paint a panel over and over to match the paint and keep the strength/integrity of the paint. In other words, paint material sticks best to a primer and it doesnt adhere to another layer of paint. By painting a panel repeatedly, yes you may be able to get close to the color desired but you will sacrifice the strength of the paint and also open a can of worms in the future if you need to repair the panel again (say a rock hits), good luck dealing with a panel that has layers of different paint on it.

My paint meter has read almost 340 vs (140 all around rest of the car) on the first hood they tried to match before I refused to go further and they bought a second hood. Now they are trying to match the color using paint samples and tried 2 different brands of paints with no avail.

I have involved Ford with a case number. I just dont know what else to do. I love this car, but doing some research online on this hood issue - it looks like it is not a matter of if but when this happens. It is widespread on explorers, F150s, mustangs and it is a massive headache.
Sponsored

Scooter MGee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
'20 MGT, '18 H-D Fat Bob 131ci, '17 Yaris
Has anyone tried to use a "color eye" to get a match on the paint?

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
OP, truly sorry you are going through this. That said paint matching in 2021 is hardly a difficult task. Yes, reds can be difficult put if I can get a 99.99% match on Ruby Red you can sure as heck get a match on Race Red. I would strongly suggest contacting another shop to see what they have to say.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
You all know how I love my car and speak highly of it as far as putting a lot of miles on it and how durable it has been since day 1. Car has been bullet proof for me since day 1/mile 2 all the way till 70,000 miles. Total cost of repairs I have paid for this car out of my pocket has been $250 or less.

That being said, it seems like my luck with the car has run out. I have hit the dreaded hood rust issue. Yes the warranty covers the repair but no one tells you what's involved in the repair. I was informed at first that I would receive a brand new hood in factory/OEM condition with matching color/paint material/thickness. In other words, I drop my car off and pick it up in same condition minus the rust.

Well 2+ months later, after a brand new hood that has been thrown out and a second new hood ordered, the body shop isnt able to match the color (race red). Its coming out either with too much orange or too less of orange. They are now saying there is no way to match this color and they dont know what to do. It is such a massive pain in the ass that I would argue I would prefer an engine failing due to oil consumption or worse than to deal with this. Because this is a mess and there is no easy way out whereas engine replacement, as painful as it might be, makes the car as whole/back to normal.

The service manager and service people have been very nice/helpful overall but I think even they werent aware of some of the finer details such as:

- Body panels that arrive from the factory come unpainted.
- They come covered with a special anti corrosion coating (they are all black) and that you only have 1 shot at painting these panels. You cannot paint them, screw up, and strip the paint (if you do, with the stripping of the paint comes off the anti corrosion coating - and more rust potential).
- You cannot paint a panel over and over to match the paint and keep the strength/integrity of the paint. In other words, paint material sticks best to a primer and it doesnt adhere to another layer of paint. By painting a panel repeatedly, yes you may be able to get close to the color desired but you will sacrifice the strength of the paint and also open a can of worms in the future if you need to repair the panel again (say a rock hits), good luck dealing with a panel that has layers of different paint on it.

My paint meter has read almost 340 vs (140 all around rest of the car) on the first hood they tried to match before I refused to go further and they bought a second hood. Now they are trying to match the color using paint samples and tried 2 different brands of paints with no avail.

I have involved Ford with a case number. I just dont know what else to do. I love this car, but doing some research online on this hood issue - it looks like it is not a matter of if but when this happens. It is widespread on explorers, F150s, mustangs and it is a massive headache.
Hey Matt,
Thanks for letting us know. Sounds like a royal PITA.

Is Ford providing the paint? Seems crazy if they’re not able to get it right.

Would you consider an after market that intentionally doesn’t match?

Good luck!

OP
OP

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Has anyone tried to use a "color eye" to get a match on the paint?
They either dont know how to use it or it doesnt work properly because they have shown me 7 samples total (5 solvent based, 2 water based), of which only 1 was from the camera and it was not even close. I have asked them to take 3 readings from 3 different places (roof, fender, trunk) and pick the best matching one. They have never done this and keep telling me camera isnt very precise. Furthermore, they dont cook the samples in the oven which isnt right as the temperature/duration does impact how colors appear at the end (especially true on a red).

Sponsored

OP
OP

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Hey Matt,
Thanks for letting us know. Sounds like a royal PITA.

Is Ford providing the paint? Seems crazy if they’re not able to get it right.

Would you consider an after market that intentionally doesn’t match?

Good luck!
So this is where it gets really weird and frustrating because today the body shop owner stated that “I dont know what paint brand factory uses” which isnt right. This is brand new information as up until now I was led to believe everything was OEM. I dont see how the paint can match if a different brand is used. It may be possible in some colors but race red has a lot of orange in it which is tough to work on. When I dealt with paint work in the past, granted it was BMW, I knew for a fact they used the same particular underlying paint material the plant uses in Germany. It sounds like with Ford this isnt really a criteria and they try to match a color using a random paint brand.

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
Do you have PPF on the hood? And what about paint color code on the drives side door. Can this be match with the paint?

SHOdaddy68

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daryl
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Premium w/Recaro
Sounds like either the dealer body shop or the shop they sent your hood to is trying to butt-match the color and has a painter that is inexperienced or can't custom tint the color.

I have been in the body/paint industry for close to 30 years and at a minimum, the paint shop must:

A. Have your car present to mix and tint the paint to match your specific vehicle and,
B. Blend the paint onto the fenders.

An aluminum hood can be stripped to bare metal and re-painted as long as the proper sealer /primer is applied right away to minimize any contamination and/or moisture exposure. (think about how many times an aluminum jet liner is stripped and re-painted over a long life span)

It's good to see that Ford is actually covering this for you. My 2015 hood has it bad and all the local dealers told me the warranty period had expired and refuse to do anything about it.

Good luck!

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
When I dealt with paint work in the past, granted it was BMW, I knew for a fact they used the same particular underlying paint material the plant uses in Germany.
The Geico-affiliated body shop (Chevolet dealer) ordered the exact brand and color from the supplier Ford uses for my Velocity Blue. What kind of no-name shop are you dealing with?

Sponsored
OP
OP

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
The Geico-affiliated body shop (Chevolet dealer) ordered the exact brand and color from the supplier Ford uses for my Velocity Blue. What kind of no-name shop are you dealing with?
I would rather not name them at this point. I have been extremely patient, cordial, and cool since the beginning. I am hoping Ford will send someone who will point out either incorrect brand of paint or malfunctioning color reader or both. When this recommendation doesnt happen is when I will name the locations. I am hoping at this point they will take the car somewhere else.

My main objective here was to share this story with others. I personally wasnt aware how widespread this issue is and how nasty the repair is. It isnt limited to 2004 Mustangs (or some people call them rustangs), but almost all models of Ford all the way up to now. And I think I know why. Do you know how much the hood costs on this car? $800. Take a moment now and ask yourself how one can produce a single piece metal product the size and shape of the hood (and the primer that is applied to it) and keep the cost that low. You have your answer as to why this happens. The cost of production is so low that if it happens to 1 out of 100 cars, the cost of warranty is far less than the cost of producing a hood without this defect (or more correctly put, the cost of investment required to produce such hood).

Reactions: dps

72&18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
72 Mach 1, 72 F250 2wd, 18 GT350, 22 Bronco 2 Door
Thanks for your post. 70k on the clock and no other issues. I like sound of that. I assume this is your daily driver?

OP
OP

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Thanks for your post. 70k on the clock and no other issues. I like sound of that. I assume this is your daily driver?
Yes it is. Still original clutch, original everything. I love the car. It has become part of me over the years and it has NEVER let me down (and I still dont consider this as letting me down, as its more body shop that has let me down).

MagCoyote5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT Premium Magnetic(sold) '21 GT Prem PP1 MR G
Are they painting directly over the black shipping primer? If so that might be part of the issue as it will make paint look different because it is darker than the normal grayish primer that should be used. That shipping primer should be chemically stripped and the bare aluminum realodined before a proper primer is applied. As far color matching, take a sample to Home Depot...lol

Alodine is a chemical conversion that allows coatings to adhere to aluminum...turns the shiny aluminum to a yellowish tinted color.

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Hey OP. WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU?
Add location to sig so maybe someone can forward this thread to PPG.

Ford making you work with local body shop when you have no experience at production quality paint processes is absolute bullshit.

Ford should be doing that.
Get an attorney.
Sponsored