Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 5.0 PP Oxford White
  • Banned
Hey guys have a 16 pp GT only has 2600 miles on it. Installed my JLT and Lund tune and everything was going well for about two weeks. Last night while driving home I started to smell a burning rubber odor every time I would come to a stop at each light. I parked the car got out and it smelled but I figured it was maybe just a hiccup. This morning on the way to work I drove it very lightly no hard acceleration or anything. I open my door after parking and sure enough the smell of burning rubber is rampant. Any of you guys know what it can be?
Sponsored

OP
OP

AJ5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
???

Joe 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Vehicle Showcase
Check if you have an exhaust leak.

I'm not sure what the rubber smell would be though. Other people will chime in.

SkattrBrane

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550 Race Red
Where is the smell coming from? Did you open the hood and see if there are signs of anything burning. Could be a tube or something laying against the header. Could also be a rubber grommet or other piece during the conversion that landed on the headers or someplace hot enough to make the smell.

srf52

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium PP
...the stock intake air filter housing utilizes a rubber grommet underneath it at the attachment point. As memtioned above that grommet may have possibly been pulled out when the OEM air box was removed and fallen/dropped onto the exhaust manifold.

Sponsored

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I've heard the engine warranty smells like burnt rubber when it goes bad. Sorry to the OP, couldn't help it.

redline727

Thread Killer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rocky
Vehicle(s)
2021 Oxford White Mustang GT
maybe you ran over a grocery bag
This is fairly common. I see it at work every now and then. The bag quickly melts to the exhaust when your run it over, and will continue to burn till it's gone.

GRNGUARD15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard Green PP GT
My Catback fit a little to snug next to the plastic undercarriage cover of my car and melted a small part of it. Maybe get under the car and give It a look.

Jeff_oddo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium
Check under your car for possibly a bag that stuck to the exhaust pipes. I ran over a plastic bag on the freeway and it stuck to the pipes and melted. Smelled like shit

Sponsored
OP
OP

AJ5.0

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update

checked under the car no grocery bag, pinpointed the smell coming from the brakes and my pinpointing was confirmed when I fired up the car and let it idle not moving for 10 minutes no smell was produced but the minute I drive and get on the brakes it starts to smell. My belief is that I had sticking pads/brake drag.

hemistar1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2, 2017 F-150
Updates

Update

checked under the car no grocery bag, pinpointed the smell coming from the brakes and my pinpointing was confirmed when I fired up the car and let it idle not moving for 10 minutes no smell was produced but the minute I drive and get on the brakes it starts to smell. My belief is that I had sticking pads/brake drag.
Any updates?

atekido

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
should be easy to figure out do a quick drive and if 1 rotor is a lot hotter than the other you have your answer.
Sponsored