H-Pipe - custom or store bought?

vernonator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP - Race Red
Looking to get an H-Pipe, lots of vendors have them ranging from around $130 to $230 (depending I assume on material). What would you expect to pay from a custom exhaust shop? More or less - assuming they install either one?
Sponsored

bmailpb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
You'll be around the same price, but with a muffler shop, you don't know the material or the quality of the welds. Just go with one that's established.

2 SLOW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium GT
In Houston, a quality shop charges $100 turnkey for a H/X pipe

GuardGT

is currently pooping
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crimson GT 10r80
be careful of most muffler shops... they will use "mandrel bends" but they are pinched and dont keep a true same size diameter when they make a custom exhaust. im extremely anal about my exhaust so i either make my own, or buy pre-fabbed and call it a day.

Chris@Lethal

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Looking to get an H-Pipe, lots of vendors have them ranging from around $130 to $230 (depending I assume on material). What would you expect to pay from a custom exhaust shop? More or less - assuming they install either one?
We have plenty H pipes in stock and ready to ship TODAY! Mandrel bent 2.50" Stainless Steel. Also feel free to use coupon code "MUSTANG6G" at checkout to receive a discount. :headbang::headbang:

Sponsored

Shouldhavegotthegt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT 2014 Ram 1500 RCSB 4x4
I had my Borla ATAKs from my 13 welded in to my 16. They said they could do an H pipe for $100 installed. They didn't really offer X pipes.

I would just make sure that they don't weld the H pipe to the cats so that way it makes it easy to remove the H pipe and go back to stock or upgrade to another catback system in the future.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
they will use "mandrel bends" but they are pinched and dont keep a true same size diameter when they make a custom exhaust
There's not that many bends in an h-pipe...in fact there are none. So the use of "crush bends" by custom exhaust places is not something he has to worry about in the construction of this piece.

IMO, I'd still go with a pre-built piece. The price will be similar in the end, if not cheaper, but also make it easier to remove later down the line.

JGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I think I'm going to go the custom fabricated route because I haven't seen any aftermarket H-pipes of the same diameter as the cat-backs. They all seem to just be resonator deletes on an otherwise stock exhaust and would require modification to any aftermarket cat-back to get it to fit (someone correct me if I am wrong). I want to have one custom fabricated to bolt right up to my cat-back, which gives me the option of switching back to the X if I like the sound better.

LethalPerformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP, 2021 Whipple'd F150
I think I'm going to go the custom fabricated route because I haven't seen any aftermarket H-pipes of the same diameter as the cat-backs. They all seem to just be resonator deletes on an otherwise stock exhaust and would require modification to any aftermarket cat-back to get it to fit (someone correct me if I am wrong). I want to have one custom fabricated to bolt right up to my cat-back, which gives me the option of switching back to the X if I like the sound better.
Most aftermarket catbacks connect to the stock connection point BEFORE the resonator. Most resonator deletes connect at that same point and then require you to cut AFTER the resonator where it then mates to the factory catback.

Our H pipe resonator delete does just that. Connects at the stock connection point with the stock clamps and then uses OEM style clamps to connect it to the stock catback after the resonator. The rear of our resonator delete is the same diameter as the stock catback.

So if you're looking to do something other than that you'll need to have it custom fabricated.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks, Jared

GuardGT

is currently pooping
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crimson GT 10r80
There's not that many bends in an h-pipe...in fact there are none. So the use of "crush bends" by custom exhaust places is not something he has to worry about in the construction of this piece.

IMO, I'd still go with a pre-built piece. The price will be similar in the end, if not cheaper, but also make it easier to remove later down the line.
it depends on where they cut and install the h pipe, so there can be bends. but thank you for quoting me to try and call me out, while literally furthering my point suggesting on getting a pre fabricated pipe. this forums amazes me

Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
it depends on where they cut and install the h pipe, so there can be bends. but thank you for quoting me to try and call me out, while literally furthering my point suggesting on getting a pre fabricated pipe. this forums amazes me
Not sure why you think I'm calling you out. I merely responded to your statement. If just the mere fact that I quoted you made you think it's a call out, you're going to have a tough time on any forum that utilizes quotes.

While the lack of mandrel bends is a real concern for full custom exhausts, it's not that big of a deal in this instance. I'm just trying to help the OP realize that while custom exhaust shops most likely don't offer mandrel bends, it's not really a concern for the specific thing that he needs done.

And if you keep on reading, I also suggested getting the pre-fabbed piece.

Think you need to take a deep breath and relax, not everyone is out to get ya...

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
There is often one small bend in an H-Pipe resonator delete at the rear for our cars. Its not much, so whatever, but it will help the clamps mount up properly.

I bought one $120 from CJ back when it was on sale for like $90. Still needed a tack-weld to keep the mufflers from drooping. I think most resonator deletes will benefit from a tack-weld.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Most muffler shops also won't use stainless steel. Just buy one. They are relatively cheap and install flawlessly. I got mine from CJ pony parts and have zero complaints.

berserker_sid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard GT premium
Most muffler shops also won't use stainless steel. Just buy one. They are relatively cheap and install flawlessly. I got mine from CJ pony parts and have zero complaints.
i totally agree with ya.. kepp in mind all parts in ur exhaust system are stainless steel.

so i got mrt h pipe from cj .304 ss good to go..

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
be careful of most muffler shops... they will use "mandrel bends" but they are pinched and dont keep a true same size diameter when they make a custom exhaust. im extremely anal about my exhaust so i either make my own, or buy pre-fabbed and call it a day.
Mandrel bends are what you want...you have it backwards and you seem to get upset easy. Relax
Sponsored