Sponsored

Guess the 2015 5.0 Coyote HP and TQ numbers

GTTK

Threads
Reaction score
No, what they said is that it will beat a BOSS around the track, but hp-wise it will slot between the current GT and the BOSS, so ~430 would be realistic.
12-16-2013, 08:42 PM
Told you so? ;)
Sponsored

Clink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus
Thanks for re-posting some of the guesses and saving us time from going back to look :headbang:

OP
OP
Free Agent

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
Thanks for re-posting some of the guesses and saving us time from going back to look :headbang:
You're welcome. If I've missed any that were within 5 HP or less I apologize. I truly wanted to be wrong on my guess, and I was I just hope those that greatly overestimated don't give this new Mustang a chance. I think it is going to be the best performing one yet. :)

Originally Posted by GTTK View Post
No, what they said is that it will beat a BOSS around the track, but hp-wise it will slot between the current GT and the BOSS, so ~430 would be realistic.
12-16-2013, 08:42 PM
Missed yours, sorry.

Mustang_Owner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP Roush
Ohhhh..., at 435HP I'm hoping I can buy a programmer (http://diablosport.shptron.com/p/i-1000-intune-color-touch-screen-flash-programmer?pp=8&pp=8) to get it to at least 450HP if you use 93 octane. Has anybody had any luck independently verifying you get 15 extra HP from stock numbers with the 93 octane tune? I would go down the road of buying some cheap upgrades that don't void your warranty to get at least 460HP. Does anybody have a good list? Does the K&N filter still make an improvement? Did Ford de-tune the engine so they can re-tune it in 2016? If it is just a SW tune, can we just download the 2016 firmware into the 2015 when released?

With the 2015 model having both 2.46% higher weight and only 3.57% higher HP than the old body style 2014 model, the two figures kind of cancel each other in my opinion. I guess Ford figured they would sell most cars based on the new body style the first year, then later add HP as needed to keep the interest in future models higher. I wanted the new Mustang to have a much better acceleration than the old one but fear that was a pipe-dream for the 2015 model.

Brent302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Ohhhh..., at 435HP I'm hoping I can buy a programmer (http://diablosport.shptron.com/p/i-1000-intune-color-touch-screen-flash-programmer?pp=8&pp=8) to get it to at least 450HP if you use 93 octane. Has anybody had any luck independently verifying you get 15 extra HP from stock numbers with the 93 octane tune? I would go down the road of buying some cheap upgrades that don't void your warranty to get at least 460HP. Does anybody have a good list? Does the K&N filter still make an improvement? Did Ford de-tune the engine so they can re-tune it in 2016? If it is just a SW tune, can we just download the 2016 firmware into the 2015 when released?

With the 2015 model having both 2.46% higher weight and only 3.57% higher HP than the old body style 2014 model, the two figures kind of cancel each other in my opinion. I guess Ford figured they would sell most cars based on the new body style the first year, then later add HP as needed to keep the interest in future models higher. I wanted the new Mustang to have a much better acceleration than the old one but fear that was a pipe-dream for the 2015 model.
Keep an Eye out for a new Track Key from Ford....that's what I want.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Free Agent

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
Keep an Eye out for a new Track Key from Ford....that's what I want.
You know that would be pretty cool if Ford would hide a "performance algorithm" or tune in the stock programming that you could buy a "track key" to unlock say another 20/25 HP and 10 TQ and they sold it through Ford Performance. Still within engine parameters and still with full warranty.

Brent302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
You know that would be pretty cool if Ford would hide a "performance algorithm" or tune in the stock programming that you could buy a "track key" to unlock say another 20/25 HP and 10 TQ and they sold it through Ford Performance. Still within engine parameters and still with full warranty.
Your Welcome

Improved engine performance- Up to 60lb-ft at 1500rpm & peak increases of 16 hp and 7 lb-ft on 93 octane fuel

http://www.fordracingpartsdirect.com/2014_MUSTANG_GT_TRACK_KEY_p/m-14204-mgttka.htm

Those gains on the new engine

451HP/407TQ no more needed.

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
I also don't think we will see anything until August. The Mustang Alley event occurs on Saturday, August 16, which happens to be the same week as the first week of Job 1 production, so perhaps that timing would be possible. However, I guess it depends if the numbers come straight from Ford first, then followed by numbers in what the press might receive.
Glad I was wrong about this!

pacettr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Parnelli Jones Saleen, 2013 Lagune Seca, and
If we look at somewhat recent chassis debuts, the 2005 Mustang GT was introduced with 300 hp, 5 less than the outgoing MACH I which was rated at 305 hp.

While all the upgrades to the Coyote are significant, IMO Ford will go easy on the Boss owners and stay just shy of the 444 hp rating, especially considering the Coyote v2 has a similar intake manifold to v1, not the Boss or CJ that many anticipated.

I also agree that these upgrades are to improve power under the curve, as well as lower emissions and fuel consumption, but also to pave the way for even more power if and when DI finds its way into the mix.

440/410

I got a little excited on the tq number :D

I thought the changes to the intake manifold might bump it up a bit more.

IMO these engines will have a great "feel" about them with a broad power curve and smooth acceleration.

OP
OP
Free Agent

Free Agent

2015 GT Premium
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Prem.
Your Welcome

Improved engine performance- Up to 60lb-ft at 1500rpm & peak increases of 16 hp and 7 lb-ft on 93 octane fuel

http://www.fordracingpartsdirect.com/2014_MUSTANG_GT_TRACK_KEY_p/m-14204-mgttka.htm

Those gains on the new engine

451HP/407TQ no more needed.
Thanks for the link. This is very close to what I'm describing. I'd actually like the calibrations/tune to actually be in the computer stock when you buy it. Sort of pre-tuned, then you buy the key and it activates the tune already installed in your pcm. This is basically Ford flashing a tune into your car. Cool but I'd rather just buy my own handheld. But…. if I could keep the warranty intact this could be very appealing. Thanks for the link, I did not know Ford was doing this I just assumed they were still doing the ProCal tuning option.

My only problem is why would this not be offered with the automatic? If they only offer for the manual I'm out of luck. (Not sure why its just engine mapping)

Sponsored

WOT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gokart
WOT said:
Purely guessing the numbers and guessing we should know the numbers on Monday or this week.

1. 435hp
2. 457hp

I think this one is a range. But I will put it up.
I took a guesses using PTW ratio. My 1st guess was equaling the GT, I did manage to guess it will be out this week. :)

Depends of what you're looking for, Flywheel HP or RWHP? A tune only should get you to 450 at the fly with better throttle response easily. Not sure what MM that the 15 uses for an intake but whatever it is I'm sure it's capable or handling a few bolt ons. IMO I think this car will take to bolt ons better than the last.

Yes, they do cancel them selves out in peak numbers but under the curve is still uncertain. Not just improved styling but also improved handling. When adding HP and weight your MPG usually suffers and maintaining that MPG or adding becomes a challenge. You wont see an increase in power unless they add some sort of cylinder deactivation coupled with the use of DI. Without seeing the power curve I'm not sure how much better it is stock for stock, modded I can easily see it beating the current 5.0 in power out put.

GTTK

Threads
Reaction score
To everybody who was, um, excessively optimistic about the 2015 numbers: you should've read this very detailed article about the BOSS engine

http://www.mustangandfords.com/car-reviews/m5lp-1108-2011-ford-mustang-302/

It shows just how much work it took for the relatively modest bump from 408 to 444 hp (yes I know it's overall behavior is different). I was left with the impression that the coyote was already pretty much maxed out as design. That's why I didn't have very high expectations for the 2015 model.

FloridaGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
To everybody who was, um, excessively optimistic about the 2015 numbers: you should've read this very detailed article about the BOSS engine

http://www.mustangandfords.com/car-reviews/m5lp-1108-2011-ford-mustang-302/

It shows just how much work it took for the relatively modest bump from 408 to 444 hp (yes I know it's overall behavior is different). I was left with the impression that the coyote was already pretty much maxed out as design. That's why I didn't have very high expectations for the 2015 model.
So does this mean we're unlikely to see decent power gains from a headers, catback exhaust, cold air intake, etc?
Sponsored