Sponsored

GT500 vs GT350... You tell me!

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
OK, so I haven't had the pleasure of driving a gt500, the 662 hp variant sounds like a lot of fun, in that, WTF have i just gotten myself into kind of way. And while I get that the GT350 isn't really about straight line zip, it's plenty fast for me. I've been happily surprised by straight line acceleration. Handling is thus far way beyond my dreams. I've hit on on ramps at speeds that I'm quite sure would have spun my 2011 GT and this thing isn't even working hard.

So for those of you who have driven both or even owned both. What do you see as the difference? If so inclined a list of plusses and minuses would be awesome. Share your wisdom, so that those of us less informed can learn.

EDIT: If you're a Boss 302 driver feel free to give you thoughts on the differences as well.
Eric, it's very simple based on what each person wants out of their car.

If you want a boulevard cruiser with terrific straight line acceleration go with a GT500 as that will certainly do the job.

Having said that if you want an incredible performance vehicle that can accelerate, steer, brake, handle at a very high level then go with the GT350.

I have been fortunate to have owned a number of GT500 cars and enjoyed them immensely but once I started to drive the new generation Boss 302 cars it was no contest as to what car gave me the best overall driving experience.

Over the last few years I have had many discussions with various Ford Performance individuals who have driven both the GT500 and the Boss 302 cars and every one of these individuals enjoyed driving the driving experience of the Boss 302 over the GT500 but having said that with ~48,000 GT500 cars sold over 8 years obviously the GT500 has a big following so each to their own.

I also have been fortunate to recently have driven both the GT350 and the GT350R and of course these new Shelby's take the driving experience to a whole new level.

It all comes down to personal preference with each car of these cars has their own strong points.

There is no question that the GT500 will be produced real soon but as it was back in the 60's don't count on the GT500 to be a road carver like the new GT350 but more of a straight line performance car.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Sponsored

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Yeah, 69/70 Shelbys, fun to look at but what turkeys those old heaps were. The 65/66 model Shelbys were pretty cool. 67/68 GT500s were nose heavy, truck motored, sleds. The end of the line was obvious when there were leftover 69s that were designated as model year 1970. Those last years were kinda grim from a pperformance standpoint.
Are you really trying to compare the Shelby's of the '60's to today's car?

Not sure if you ever have driven a '65 or '66 Shelby GT350 but at the time especially the '65 GT350 was beyond cool and still is to this day.

As far as suggesting that the '68 Shelby's had truck engines, really? Your calling the 428 Cobra Jet engine "truck motored".

Regarding the ~800 Shelby's produced for the 1970 MY trust me if you ordered a 4 speed GT500 that came with a 428 Cobra Jet that also came with Ram Air induction they performed just fine.

Obviously you were not there and have no idea!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

travis1978

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Travis
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Magnetic with Tech package
I have had my car now for 24 hours it is great. The sound is just unreal in person. I have people stopping and talking to me at the gas station and asking me about it. It was dirty and just off the car hauler and I filled gas and four separate people commented on the car. Pictures do not do it justice. It is like going to Hawaii. Just plain better than pictures can capture. You know how I feel if you want something to drive and have fun get one and you won't regret it.

markham51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 07 GT500 SS, MKIII Cobra, 68 Shelby GT500 KR Convert
I have an 07 SuperSNake (740HP) and 07 GT500 Convert modded by Evolution Performance (640Hp). I have had my GT350 Tech since November. I have driven a 2014 and they are definitely a step up on my 07s.

I drove the GT350 for a week and then stepped back into both GT500s.

There is no comparison. The GT350 is a knife, the GT500s are hammers.

If you crave finesse in a car you will no doubt fall in love with The GT350s...if you love to smoke tires...the 500 is your car. But let me tell you...personally if I could have only one car...the GT350 would win hands down. Ford has simply build a more well rounded machine...and nailed every component.

ohmy350

Threads
Reaction score
Let's not forget...all this talk about the GT500 being a sludge hammer- I agree. But, let's not also forget that a 2017 model GT500, while not being setup to be the corner carver the GT350 is, will still have the underpinnings of a modern S550 Mustang and it will absolutely have cornering capabilities no GT500 has seen before, in addition to an engine no factory stock Mustang has ever seen before. It should get interesting!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sponsored

Face76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
How much was a 14 GT500 in US dollars?
I expect the next one to start about 10k+ higher than the 350.
Mine was $67,500 (all options minus the glass roof).

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I owned a 14 GT500 and put almost 14k miles on it.

Great car when going where the nose is pointed. Anything else, not so great.

Just a different car.
Basically my experience as well with my '07.

Mine was pullied/tuned to ~540 at the wheels, a hoot when pointed straight, not so much otherwise, handled like a pig. Total penis car IMO, 99% of the time the power was unused.

I actually liked my '09 Bullitt better, a far better balanced car. If it had had Coyote power, I'd probably still own it. Enter my '15 GT.....

I think the GT350 is the best of all worlds, the right amount of power in the right package. And I have yet to drive one.
Sponsored