GT500 inner CV half shaft rebuild for serious track users

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Some may recall a while back that I had issue with my 2020 GT500CFTP the first time I had it out at the Daytona International Speedway. I run the car fast. I am in group 1 which is for pros/racers.

So, I ran the car hard enough that the passenger's side inner CV on the half shaft had overheated, which caused the grease to hit it's drop point, and no longer lubricate the CV. This caused a catastrophic failure of the joint leaving me dead in the water on the track forcing me to get a complimentary tow in.

There are a few things that can be done to mitigate the issue, such as wrapping or insulating the exhaust pipe near the CV, as well as repacking the joint with a high temperature grease that will not melt, stay in place, and continue to lubricate.

Enough time has gone by that the half shafts in the car have to come out for a refresh. I didn't feel like tearing the car apart and then rebuilding the half shafts on the spot, so I decided to take a spare set of shafts I had purchased a while back to rebuild them so that I could do a quick swap.

So, I figured I would share with you the process. Essentially, you tear down the inner CV, clean it all up so that there is ZERO residual grease, degrease with mineral spirits, and put it back together utilizing a heat resistant boot and a special grease that holds up to the rigors of Daytona. The problematic half shaft of the GT500 is the passenger's side inner CV. It just so happens that Ford makes a racing boot that perfectly fits the inner passenger CV of the GT500. It is the same part as the GT4 driver's side inner CV.... Yes, that's right, the driver's side GT4 inner CV perfectly fits the GT500 passenger's side CV. The boot is purpose built for racing. It withstands extreme high temperatures and also has a built-in ventilation gap to allow for expansion and contraction of the air in the CV.

This boot and grease works. Ever since I installed this system in my car, I have never had another problem. Unfortunately, they have to be taken down every so often which involves tearing the whole rear end apart to remove and replace the shaft. The job isn't difficult, just time consuming. Afterwards, it requires an alignment which I also accomplish myself.

So here are some of the steps involved.

First, you remove the straps holding the inner CV boot on and then peel back the boot.
20230831_112217.jpg

20230831_114500.jpg

Once complete, the CV inner housing retaining ring is removed. Be careful not to damage the retaining ring. You will need it for future use. If you look closely, just under the screwdriver, you will see the retaining clip. Carefully lift an edge and work it out.
20230831_114533.jpg

Next, clean up all the grease as best you can. I found my fingers worked best to get the bulk. Then use a disposable rag to get the rest. It should look something like this.
20230831_122211.jpg
20230831_122218.jpg

Once all cleaned up, remove the CV joint cage assembly circlip. Pictured is the race on the shaft.
20230831_150726.jpg

Use a 3 legged gear puller to remove the CV joint cage assembly (the CV race) and lay the parts out for a further cleaning.
20230831_142137.jpg

Now, start cleaning all the associated parts using mineral spirits. If you have a parts washer, that would be best. They should look like this. Inspect all the parts for uneven or unacceptable wear. As you can see, this cage, race, and housing are lightly broken in with no significant wear.
20230831_143031.jpg
20230831_143054.jpg
20230831_143121.jpg
20230831_143139 (1).jpg

Once all the parts are cleaned, its time to start putting it all together. Install the GT4 boot, cage, and race.
20230831_150424.jpg

Use a soft 4lb dead blow hammer to reset the race onto the shaft to the proper depth. I set the race just past the circlip groove so that I could ensure the circlip was seated properly. I then used a 3 legged puller to pull the cage back snug (not too snug) against the circlip. Note how the race is sunk just a hair past the groove for the circlip. Again, back the race out with a 3 legged puller so it is snug against the circlip. Do not stand the half shaft up on the floor and impact the race. You might damage the outer CV. Hold the shaft with one hand and use the dead blow hammer to reset the race. Again, use a soft faced mallet, do not damage the race or splines.
20230831_122352.jpg

Now it is ready for grease. I use a very special grease that many race teams use for competition. It is called Krytox GPL217. The stuff isn't cheap and it is toxic. The stuff has superior lubricity and has an extremely high drop point. The stuff is also very very expensive. Use the grease with care. I use 9mil black gloves and only in a well ventilated area.

Tune in tomorrow for the packing of the grease and final assembly.

20230831_151338.jpg
Sponsored

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Some are probably thinking, hmm.... why do I need to do this? For most people, they don't. However if you are at the right track and drive the car a certain way, this is what will happen. Daytona is hard on the inner CVs.

So this is what happens to your CV and internals when you take a stock GT500 out at Daytona and run flat out. You might make it a day, maybe not. I didn't. I know of a few others who had similar issues as well.

Here is some of the carnage.

IMG_4443.jpg
IMG_4442.jpg
IMG_4440.jpg
IMG_4439.jpg
IMG_4438.jpg
IMG_4437.jpg
IMG_4436.jpg
IMG_4435.jpg
IMG_4434.jpg
IMG_4433.jpg

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
Wow. That’s cool that you were able to find the race boot as a solution. Are going to wrap your exhaust too or will it not be necessary with the boot now?

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
So,
Today I repacked the CV joint with Krytox and reassembled the joint. Very uneventful. The only thing I don't like is that the Krytox is very toxic, so I have been told. I started outside to keep a good, ventilated space, but it was quite windy today. With that comes dust and dirt, so I opted to work inside.

I started with the CV housing, giving it liberal amounts of krytox without going crazy. Remember this stuff is crazy expensive. I don't have photos of this because I didn't want to get krytox all over my phone. Basically, just liberally apply krytox to the entire surface of the CV housing.

Next, I liberally applied (dabbed) the cage to ensure complete coverage.

20230901_133216.jpg
20230901_133221.jpg

I then filled in the voids in the race and cage where the bearings were to be reinstalled.

I installed the bearings making sure each was surrounded by krytox.

When it was all said and done, I made sure that the grease was evenly packed in all areas of the race and cage and bearings.
20230901_134201.jpg
20230901_134204.jpg
20230901_134208.jpg

The assembly was then reinstalled into the CV housing and the boot was placed. I took this opportunity to repack more grease into the ball, race and cage assembly before sliding the boot over the housing.
20230901_134815.jpg

Next, is the best part, sliding the retaining clip back into place, and moving the boot over the housing and placing the clamp. It's all buttoned up with the exception of clamping down on the strap. I have the tool around here, but it is buried in the 95-degree, 100 percent humidity garage. I will wait till tomorrow to try to find it.
20230901_134401.jpg

20230901_142450.jpg

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Wow. That’s cool that you were able to find the race boot as a solution. Are going to wrap your exhaust too or will it not be necessary with the boot now?
I did that a long time ago. I had a thread about it, but I don't know where it went. I used a product called header wrap. The cherry red hot exhaust sits just a few inches from the inner CV.

There are blankets made for this purpose, and I am thinking of further modifying by adding a blanket to each pipe near the CV.

If you google the krytox specs, you will see heat isn't that much of a concern anymore. The grease will never hit its melting (drop) point. There is a reason it is about $300 a pound. That price in the link I have in the above thread is cheap if you search around the internet you will find it runs much higher. Furthermore, you will find that on the OEM boot, both ends are clamped not allowing any ventilation. The joints get so hot that the gas expands and the boot literally pops. Once the grease melts, it runs off leaving metal to metal contact, thus destroying the joint.

The boot/grease is a twofold solution.

One pound will probably service 2 CV joints.

Nobody said this hobby was cheap.......

Sponsored

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
I figure that I’m blocked but that is one of the best write ups I’ve seen on here in a while Tom.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I did that a long time ago. I had a thread about it, but I don't know where it went. I used a product called header wrap. The cherry red hot exhaust sits just a few inches from the inner CV.

There are blankets made for this purpose, and I am thinking of further modifying by adding a blanket to each pipe near the CV.

If you google the krytox specs, you will see heat isn't that much of a concern anymore. There is a reason it is about $300 a pound. That price is cheap if you search around the internet. Furthermore, you will find that on the OEM boot, both ends are clamped not allowing any ventilation. The joints get so hot that the gas expands and the boot literally pops. Once the grease melts, it runs off leaving metal to metal contact, thus destroying the joint.

The boot/grease is a twofold solution.

One pound will probably service 2 CV joints.

Nobody said this hobby was cheap.......
Cool I’ll check it out. I’m a long ways away from getting to that level of tracking but I’ll be bookmarking this one for future reference. Gotta pay to play and to me if you do it enough, it’s worth it to pay for the good stuff and get it done right.

The write ups are excellent especially with all of the pictures to go with it. Thanks for taking the time to post it

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I figure that I’m blocked but that is one of the best write ups I’ve seen on here in a while Tom.
No, you are not blocked. We are a family. Sometimes dysfunctional, but still a family.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I don't take credit. I had to reach out to a person who wishes to remain nameless. One of the most generous people in the mustang community.

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I don't take credit. I had to reach out to a person who wishes to remain nameless. One of the most generous people in the mustang community.
Understood. Thanks to that person as well!

Sponsored
OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Understood. Thanks to that person as well!
Unfortunately (as well as fortunately) Ford reads this stuff all the time. The GT4 drivers side boot is the same boot needed for the problematic passenger side GT500. It is available via the open market. it is part number jrmm-3a331-aa and that's all I am going to say about that.

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed on family. Thank you. I’m sure you’ll be more thrilled that I will be moving to Florida in a few months. Retiring there.

PUR_SPD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, RR, CFTP, TP; 2013 Boss 302, SBY; 2016 F150 Super Crew; 2010 Audi A6
@Tomster I remember your original write up on this some time ago. Thank you for the follow up on this now. Makes it look simple enough if you're patient and just follow the process.

Fortunately I haven't had this problem but had the glue holding wheel weights melt a few weeks back. Made me happy I was pushing the car that hard. No, won't bother balancing them now.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I went out to the garage to find the crimp tool. Done.

20230902_140735.jpg