Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
Heres the only reason why GM brought the zl1 back and not the z28. Because they were bitch smacked by the voodoo and they have nothing NA to compete with. So they bring out the zl1 again with a supercharger.
Sponsored

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
It looks like the intended "z28" has a wide body and at least a 305 in each corner.

The stock Camaro SS/1LE and the ZL1 have a poor track width when compared to its wheelbase. The new z28 looks like it may extend its track width beyond 64 inches. This was needed at the V6 level.

Right away that tells me that at least the zl1 needs more tire AND track. If the z28 ends up having 500hp (somehow), why is it the z28 gets the better equipment when a 640hp zl1 needs it most.

If the z28 is just a Wide-Body, Super ZL1... I think thePill rest his case. It will definitely be a cheesy way to merge the ZL1 and z28 together. A z28 package on a zl1 like 1969...

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
While this isnt a shot at chevy, with their current design i dont believe they can make that kind of power and remain Na due to cafe standards. The only way i see them being able to do it is going ohc with a dohc engine.

garagelogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX 5.0 Coupe-Coyote Swapped
Vehicle Showcase
Too many unknowns. There's a lot to gear selection and a TON of parameters and variables in choosing gears. A 0.9X overdrive isn't that overdriven and depending on the tire diameter, engine rpm and final drive ratio can still be completely useable and not just for fuel mileage. Heck, a 0.8X overdrive can still be used effectively for useful high speed acceleration.

A lower final drive with a 0.93 and 0.83 over-drives with a 0.6 top gear for fuel economy is an example of 3 overdriven gears but 2 of them tightly spaced and useful for acceleration.

This conversation might have no end when talking theory...
Since the zl1 is only a prototype at this point, everything discussed in this thread has been theory and conjecture....

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
Since the zl1 is only a prototype at this point, everything discussed in this thread has been theory and conjecture....
Not when the 8spd auto Z06, 7spd DCT M3s, PDK Porsches etc... Have more gears, shift quicker, and are faster than their manual counterparts.

Adding 1 gear to a spread makes a significant increase in performance. Theirs a reason manual transmissions added gears over the years from 3 - 4 -5 -6 and now a ridiculous 7 speed gated manuals are offered. While fuel economy is one driving aspect, sacrificing a gear for fuel economy spreads the load across fewer gears, hurting performance.

Sponsored

5.0 435

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
.07 Shelby SGT #0016 ...18 GT PP1 manual
Let's face it ...once the 10 speed auto is available Ford will use it in the GT350 or GT500. End of story. Price increase. The Ford GT doesn't offer a "stick" old school.
The ZL1 is ready for production and orders are being accepted this summer.

Last edited:

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
While this isnt a shot at chevy, with their current design i dont believe they can make that kind of power and remain Na due to cafe standards. The only way i see them being able to do it is going ohc with a dohc engine.
Their most recent attempt at this was a gross polluting 5.5 DOHC v8.

Had to be suspended/scrapped.

If it passed, it would have launched with the Stingray.

I'm thinking they'll license some tech for an OHC 8.

Nowhere else to go.

DI is in the LT1 already.

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
Their most recent attempt at this was a gross polluting 5.5 DOHC v8.

Had to be suspended/scrapped.

If it passed, it would have launched with the Stingray.

I'm thinking they'll license some tech for an OHC 8.

Nowhere else to go.

DI is in the LT1 already.
Ouch. Thats a crappy blow for them

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Ok if the gt350 made 640hp 640 lb ft we would all be laughing at the chevy guys with 114hp and 211 lb ft less.

Quit lying to yourself if you think it won't lose.

ZL1 wins every day and twice on race day...
We already had a Shelby that made 662 hp.

ZaneWayne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Chevy SS
Heres the only reason why GM brought the zl1 back and not the z28. Because they were bitch smacked by the voodoo and they have nothing NA to compete with. So they bring out the zl1 again with a supercharger.
The Z/28 is coming. I'd say it's announcement is in a couple months

Sponsored

Sasuketr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GTPP
:lol: So true but, we know they already had planned the zl1 for the gt500 from the beginning. The upcoming z28 and 1le camaro will be a better gt350 contender. The competition just have begun, six gen vs six gen! I would have expected Ford to already exceeded the fifth gen camaro, they did with the gt350 and came close with the gtpp! I m pretty sure the upcoming gt500 is going to be the real deal, not just a straight line performer but it will be able turn and hug the road as well. My guess is the gt500 will be the first performance Ford vehicle rocking either an 8 speed or 10 speed tranny, and an aluminum body! It will even be faster than a gt350 r on the track. Mark my words!

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
:lol: So true but, we know they already had planned the zl1 for the gt500 from the beginning. The upcoming z28 and 1le camaro will be a better gt350 contender. The competition just have begun, six gen vs six gen! I would have expected Ford to already exceeded the fifth gen camaro, they did with the gt350 and came close with the gtpp! I m pretty sure the upcoming gt500 is going to be the real deal, not just a straight line performer but it will be able turn and hug the road as well. My guess is the gt500 will be the first performance Ford vehicle rocking either an 8 speed or 10 speed tranny, and an aluminum body! It will even be faster than a gt350 r on the track. Mark my words!
I don't think Team Camaro really planned anything. It appears the entire lineup was approved before the 2015 Mustang was released.

I'm sure the Mustang's styling alone put them on notice. I'm afraid Ford has been waiting for GM to move first at this level. A competitive Motorsport option was priority because Ford values that in the Mustang lineup. The GT350 was the way to go.

The 2017 zl1 is already being out done by its own z28. This is a HUGE internal conflict of models. Once the GT350 hype dies down, the GT500 will show up.

Right now Chevy's priorities should be on sales. If sales don't increase dramatically, this generation will become stale. Nobody wants to spend $40,000+ on a parts bin car anymore...

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
...I think Camaro Nation is in for another rude awaking.

Same was said for GT500 vs. ZL1 and GT350 vs z28.

BOTH contest favored the Mustang.

The 2012 ZL1 did beat the Boss 302 :lol:

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
The gt500 has more hp. More tq and less weight and it's slower then the gt350/r road corse.

75Brick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
75 Bricklin 11 Fusion 15 200S 95 Trans Am
I guess all those Porsches with lower horsepower and torque must get destroyed at the road course... :doh:
Sponsored