Sponsored

GT as a Winter Commuter in Ohio

blk_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CO 2015 GT PP
I just looked at some Ram's not too long ago but I would probably get a Sports package and will be putting on a small lift at 35's before I know it! Which would lead to me getting murdered by my wife in my sleep.
lmao same here! The only truck I would look at would be a Ram or Raptor.......I get employee pricing and when we picked up my wife's new charger RT in March I couldve gotten into a Ram Big Horn for around 215/month. Probably shouldve just done it but oh well. We talked about me selling the 5.0 to lease and save for a year or two so I could buy a GT350 or something a little higher end.....I just feared she would get used to me not having a sportscar and enjoy the savings (gas, tires,etc as well as a car she could drive too) and then it would be more difficult for me to get back into something fun and less practical. Maybe next year Ill lease something....or maybe Ill just take that extra money and finally buy a GT350 to daily :headbonk:
Sponsored

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
I would love to have a Wrangler or a "cool" truck but can't really justify owning 2 vehicles at this point in my life. I don't like the idea of having a beater and spending time in it knowing that I have something much better just sitting in my garage.
My life. My commute is much further than most even though they don't understand why I wouldn't drive my Mustang. I have 100 mile roundtrip drive so 500 miles a week is just not acceptable for a big, beautiful V8. A 30 miles round trip is nothing so I think you're good without a beater. That's less than 8000 miles a year (working days) not counting days such as vacation, holiday, sick, etc.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
OP,
The Mustang does just fine in the winter with a set of dedicated winter tires. I chose Bridgestone Blizzak WS80s and was very happy with their performance last winter. I even embarrassed a handful of SUVs at the lights in slush/snow.

MSMStannyl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium - Triple Yellow
I drove with Conti DWS tires. That was even during that big snow storm that we had here in Jersey too. No problems at all.
This is good to know as I just recently replaced my factory 265/35/20 Pirelli PZero summer tires with 275/35/20 Conti DWS 06's.

I'm in Baltimore so typically our winters aren't too bad but we'll usually get at least 1 big dump of snow. No matter what, I would not drive in the snow and would do what I needed to plan ahead so as to avoid snow. Last year, however, even on completely dry pavement, those Pzeros turned to stone below 40 degrees. I didn't have any significant issue but there was a noticeable loss of traction. Really had to be careful. I'm hoping things should be much better with the DWS's this winter!

OP
OP
tritus

tritus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Challenger Hellcat
lmao same here! The only truck I would look at would be a Ram or Raptor.......I get employee pricing and when we picked up my wife's new charger RT in March I couldve gotten into a Ram Big Horn for around 215/month. Probably shouldve just done it but oh well. We talked about me selling the 5.0 to lease and save for a year or two so I could buy a GT350 or something a little higher end.....I just feared she would get used to me not having a sportscar and enjoy the savings (gas, tires,etc as well as a car she could drive too) and then it would be more difficult for me to get back into something fun and less practical. Maybe next year Ill lease something....or maybe Ill just take that extra money and finally buy a GT350 to daily :headbonk:
This is just getting ridiculous, I literally was thinking exactly the same thing to get a GT350. My wife won't even sit in my car since I put a catback on lol. One of the main reasons why I am holding off getting a second car is cs I want to save up for the GT350 or maybe a C07 Z06. If I can get one of those I would also have to get a truck for winter tho.

Sponsored

OP
OP
tritus

tritus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Challenger Hellcat
This is good to know as I just recently replaced my factory 265/35/20 Pirelli PZero summer tires with 275/35/20 Conti DWS 06's.

I'm in Baltimore so typically our winters aren't too bad but we'll usually get at least 1 big dump of snow. No matter what, I would not drive in the snow and would do what I needed to plan ahead so as to avoid snow. Last year, however, even on completely dry pavement, those Pzeros turned to stone below 40 degrees. I didn't have any significant issue but there was a noticeable loss of traction. Really had to be careful. I'm hoping things should be much better with the DWS's this winter!
I had a great experience with Conti dws's even with 315's they did just fine with couple inches of snow. I remember when I first bought my Camaro it had pzeros on them and I was supposed to pick up the car from Michigan while it was snowing. I made the dealership deliver the car to Ohio and told them I am not signing the papers until the car gets to my house in 1 piece lol. Pzeros in cold temps is just asking for trouble.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT
This winter was so mild, and I mainly drove my Mustang on stock all-season tires in upstate NY. My commute is 3 miles one way. On the days with snow/ice, I drove my beater SUV. I'd say with winter tires, it would make a fine winter car.

mu5tang2016

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB 3.7L
i live in Syracuse NY. google annual snowfall there... ~190 inches a year! i've driven a 89 and 95, year round back in the 90's. did it work? yes... did i have snow tires.. yes.. was i terrified some days driving home just had to catch a ride and dig it out in the AM... yes... but these new ones have amazing traction control and as long as you don't drive in anything higher than the bumper you can probably make it on back slow roads no problem. but i live in syracuse.. i have to own a jeep now! lol if you never see more then 2-3 inches don't worry. But it's not unusual for me to wake up to 1-2 FEET!!

strengthrehab

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB Base GT with PP
I experienced snow in my GT before I moved to Texas. I had the dealership install Continental DWS06's in PP sizes and had no problems whatsoever.

Redraven571

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 Convertible Triple Yellow
I've been driving all kinds of RWD vehicles in snow, here in SE Pennsylvania, since I was 16 and my '05 Stang was a complete pig in the snow. Seriously, it was the worst car in the snow, ever.

So far, the '15 has handled wet (and dry) roads SO much better than the '05; I'm thinking it probably wouldn't be too bad in a few inches of snow; if had snow tires, even better.

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
i have to own a jeep now! lol if you never see more then 2-3 inches don't worry. But it's not unusual for me to wake up to 1-2 FEET!!
Yep.

I wouldn't make it out of my driveway after most snowfalls where I live with my Mustang, regardless of tires....

stang77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0

The PZero's are crap in the snow. We have similar winters. (MD not far at all from NJ LOL) I put a weight in my trunk and went right through the snow. No issues. The Conti DWS tires provided pretty good grip too.

UMDrummer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium ETA 8/3/18
Should be fine. I've driven a Mustang GT in Michigan winters for 7 years... with all season tires.

I really would recommend snow tires, however. I will get them on my next car. I won't lie -- with the all seasons, it can get a little scary at times with lack of traction, especially if you get stopped at a red light on an incline. I bet it would be much less stressful with winter tires.

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
I'm keeping my CivicSI for winters. Owned it since new back in 2008. Might sell it and use the Stang as a daily maybe in 2-3 years.

It's terrible in the snow with Michelin X-ICE XI3's. Even with skinnier tires 195/55/16's.
It's lowered 1.5" so that doesn't help. (It's fairly low ride height. Some floor jacks wont fit under the rocker panels to jack it up)

Bet a stock Mustang GT with Blizzak WS80's would probably do just as good.

Been driving this SI approx 80miles round trip to work and we get some pretty decent snowfall North of Toronto. Never had any issues. Some slipping and unsure moments but managed to take my time. Made it home/work safe.

Now my old 86' MR2 on the other hand with all-seasons.... that was a Deathwish in winter!

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I'm keeping my CivicSI for winters. Owned it since new back in 2008. Might sell it and use the Stang as a daily maybe in 2-3 years.

It's terrible in the snow with Michelin X-ICE XI3's. Even with skinnier tires 195/55/16's.
It's lowered 1.5" so that doesn't help. (It's fairly low ride height. Some floor jacks wont fit under the rocker panels to jack it up)

Bet a stock Mustang GT with Blizzak WS80's would probably do just as good.

Been driving this SI approx 80miles round trip to work and we get some pretty decent snowfall North of Toronto. Never had any issues. Some slipping and unsure moments but managed to take my time. Made it home/work safe.

Now my old 86' MR2 on the other hand with all-seasons.... that was a Deathwish in winter!
It does just fine.
Sponsored