Going Ported Cobra Jet manifold on my 2018 Mustang GT A10

Ricker

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ricky Rick
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
It is probably tune related. I have the Steeda CJ CAI and my car idles fine.

As recommend by my tuner, I am using the 120mm insert and the maf is mounted in the lid.

Sammy, are you using the insert?
Sponsored

Ricker

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ricky Rick
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I am using the blue filter, but I did not drill a hole for the PCV.

Your tuner just needs to tweak the MAF data.

HeavyHittersMaryland

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Can anyone help with out as to what they did with the three plugs in the back of the intake manifold....the imrc/cmvc plugs. Do you need to splice or buy a harness?

Ricker

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ricky Rick
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
All I did was just unplug. Your tuner will take care of the loss of IMRC functionality in the tune.

To be extra safe you could tape over the connector and zip tie so they don't rattle and possibly create false knock.

Sponsored

HeavyHittersMaryland

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
I already water sealed the three plugs and they’re just hanging there but my tuner said he’s getting imrc codes he’s never seen before and was curious what I did with the plugs which had me thinking I was supposed to do something with them...

Ricker

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ricky Rick
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Maybe unplug your battery to do a hard reset.

My car was doing some funky things with my initial CJ tune. I lost some drive modes, had some idle codes on cold start up and transmission was not shifting correctly.

I went on vacation and came back to a dead battery. With a charged battery, the car was back to normal and shifting was good again. The hard reset seemed to resolved all of these issues.

HeavyHittersMaryland

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
Oh ok cool. Car runs and drives great, everything works, idles good, I’m waiting on his response now... I haven’t found anything online about anyone doing anything with those three plugs.

OP
OP
Sammy123

Sammy123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sammy
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10 speed Auto
Talking to trevor at PBD and he seems to think the issue is with the install. Specifically he thinks the intake is missing the "sleeve" in the intake lid. I'm not sure what he's talking about.

I have everything installed according to the kit, filter and everything. Nothing was left out of the install.

https://www.steeda.com/thumbnail.asp?file=assets/images/555-3223-1.jpg&maxx=600&maxy=400

I've asked for clarification on this "sleeve" he keeps referring to. I really wish I was talking to Rob shoemaker instead, everytime I talk to Trevor it leads nowhere and Rob always recognizes and knows how to resolve any issues I have.

Also, I did some more testing. What i found is that at a stoplight, when the rpms start to loop up and down, I shift it into neutral and then the idle stabilizes fine. When I put it back into gear (either D or S), the rpms start looping up and down again (where it will often die). So it appears to be related to the gears somehow. Regular driving, partial throttle acceleration, and WOT are just fine. Even regular startup in the driveway is fine. It's this pesky idle at a stoplight that's driving me nuts. Though now i can put it in Neutral to avoid it from dying, so it's not that big of a deal anymore, it is something I still want to get fixed.

Does this sound tune related or hardware related? Why would it idle perfectly fine in neutral and when parked, but then start looping erraticly in gear at a stoplight?

Ricker

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ricky Rick
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
The sleeve he is referring to is likely the 120mm insert that goes in the lid and partially shrouds the MAF.

There is a different load when in drive than in neutral, so the computer is compensating for this and why it is idling differently.

Rob is probably focusing on the 2020 GT500 tuning. Unless you have a vacuum leak, your issues should be able to be tuned for.

You may want to hold on to that Ford Performance CAI just in case they can't get the idling worked out.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Sammy123

Sammy123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sammy
Vehicle(s)
The sleeve he is referring to is likely the 120mm insert that goes in the lid and partially shrouds the MAF.

There is a different load when in drive than in neutral, so the computer is compensating for this and why it is idling differently.

Rob is probably focusing on the 2020 GT500 tuning. Unless you have a vacuum leak, your issues should be able to be tuned for.

You may want to hold on to that Ford Performance CAI just in case they can't get the idling worked out.
Isn't the 120mm insert the blue filter? If so, that's in there.

Troy Carter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Troy
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Talking to trevor at PBD and he seems to think the issue is with the install. Specifically he thinks the intake is missing the "sleeve" in the intake lid. I'm not sure what he's talking about.

I have everything installed according to the kit, filter and everything. Nothing was left out of the install.

https://www.steeda.com/thumbnail.asp?file=assets/images/555-3223-1.jpg&maxx=600&maxy=400

I've asked for clarification on this "sleeve" he keeps referring to. I really wish I was talking to Rob shoemaker instead, everytime I talk to Trevor it leads nowhere and Rob always recognizes and knows how to resolve any issues I have.

Also, I did some more testing. What i found is that at a stoplight, when the rpms start to loop up and down, I shift it into neutral and then the idle stabilizes fine. When I put it back into gear (either D or S), the rpms start looping up and down again (where it will often die). So it appears to be related to the gears somehow. Regular driving, partial throttle acceleration, and WOT are just fine. Even regular startup in the driveway is fine. It's this pesky idle at a stoplight that's driving me nuts. Though now i can put it in Neutral to avoid it from dying, so it's not that big of a deal anymore, it is something I still want to get fixed.

Does this sound tune related or hardware related? Why would it idle perfectly fine in neutral and when parked, but then start looping erraticly in gear at a stoplight?
That sleeve behind the elbow in the picture goes inside the airbox lid.

Steeda%20CAI%20Sleeve-M.jpg

Ricker

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ricky Rick
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
thumbnail.jpeg

The sleeve on the left side of the lid in the picture is the 120mm insert. I believe they come pre-installed in the lid.

Troy Carter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Troy
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
thumbnail.jpeg

The sleeve on the left side of the lid in the picture is the 120mm insert. I believe they come pre-installed in the lid.
Mine was not pre-installed but slipped right in. The slot goes over the sensor.

I would just pull the lid off and check to be sure it's in place.

OP
OP
Sammy123

Sammy123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sammy
Vehicle(s)
Ok thanks for pointing out that was the sleeve. I took the intake apart and confirmed it was preinstalled, that's why I didn't notice it as a separate part before.

I took it out and slid it back in (that's what she said).

Pics attached. Didn't seem to make a difference, tested it in driveway and putting the gear in drive I can see it loping a bit at idle. Shifting in neutral the idle goes back to normal.

Wasn't this an issue with the regular steeda intakes as well? I don't know what else to check.
20200103_153006.jpg
20200103_152943.jpg
Sponsored