Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Per my tuner's recommendation, I will be:

- using the 120mm insert
- placing the mass air flow sensor in the airbox, not the tube
I know that you did this install on a 2018 A10, but how different would this be for a 2017 6R80? All the documentation says this is for manual transmission cars only, so I'm interested in your connections. Since there are only 2 ports on the CJ, what did you do with the remaining vacuum tubes/lines? I installed a ported 18 Mani and it did away with 2 lines so...

Troy Carter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Troy
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
All the issues came we with the cobra jet manifold install itself.

- fuel rail needed to be bent for fitment and literally forced in
OK, this is where I'm at. And, I could probably just go wrench on this thing to bend it but if you can share what you did that would be very helpful.

For those thinking about the CJ with 18+ cars this is where the fuel rail hits the intake which prevents the rear injectors from seating in the intake. It hits right where the port injection and DI tube support is.

20191225_113014-L.jpg

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1/401A/A10
Vehicle Showcase
Can you use some type of tube bender?

Ricker

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ricky Rick
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Merry Christmas!

All that needs to be done is cut the connecting brace/tab on the front of the fuel rail and manipulate the rails so the instead if the two lines being stacked, they are angle 45 degrees from each other.

Sponsored

Ricker

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ricky Rick
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I used an open end wrench to twist the upper line slightly forward or backward, I forget the direction.

There is a slight recess on the intake manifold that the upper line fits in. It is just enough to fully seat the fuel rail.

Troy Carter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Troy
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Great - I was hoping to just bend that tab some and make room so it's fantastic to hear that's possible. I'll go take a quick look....

Ricker

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ricky Rick
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
You will probably need to cut the tab. Make sure you do not cut the one connecting fuel tube, that's not a tab. You just need to tweak it a few inches from each side of the tab.

Last edited:

Troy Carter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Troy
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
You will probably need to cut the tab. Make sure you do not cut the one connecting fuel tube, that's not a tab. You just need to tweak it a few inches from each side of the tab.
Again, thanks for the help. i ended up sectioning the tab out with a quick hack saw cut. That allowed me to flex the upper tube to where it needed to be. Now I just need to clean up the vacuum lines and try to get the tune settled after it's together.

20191225_124526-L.jpg

Ricker

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ricky Rick
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I just move the top tube back a little, but looks like what you did was enough.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Sammy123

Sammy123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sammy
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10 speed Auto
Looks like this thread's been busy while I was away. :shock:

Get all your issues resolved Troy? I had a shop do my install and they had to bend the fuel rail a little to make it fit.

Got the Steeda intake finally installed. Relatively simple but took longer in my case because I didn't have the right drill bit for the hole, so needed to work on that a bit with a smaller drill bit until the PCV valve/grommet fit snug and perfect. Since I had to reuse my stock lower intake, the lid clips were a real pain in the ass to get on. I hear this is a problem also with their regular closed box intakes, the cobra jet intake isn't any different. Had to ensure I used enough pressure to get the clips on without risk of breaking them. The coolant reservoir had to be moved out of the way to slide the tube in to the throttle body, but then fit back in place perfectly. No relocation needed.

Got an updated Steeda specific tune before the holidays but I might need a revision. Idle starts out normal but tends to go lumpy if it idles too long, and will often die out when that happens, especially at a stoplight. I suspect its the car still learning/adjusting after I reset the KAM, so a tune might not be necessary. Driven 10 miles so far with it. Still waiting to hear back from the tuner on this.

Overall IAT's is MUCH improved. When driving the IATs are just a few degrees above ambient. Also car is MUCH more responsive at low and mid and high acceleration. In other words it pulls stronger at partial throttle acceleration than it did with the ford performance cobra jet intake. Just need to get that idle sorted out. Have not gone full on WOT yet, waiting for tuner response first. If partial throttle acceleration is any indication, I expect top end WOT to be significantly improved as well, especially if the narrower Ford Performance CJ CAI was a restriction.

Quick and dirty pic below.
steeda.jpg

Troy Carter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Troy
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Well so far it's physically installed but we left on vacation before getting a tune or running the car. If the weather is good anytime soon I'll try to get it running but the midwest winter may keep me from making progress for a while.

I had the same issues with the Steeda cover being tight to clamp shut. No big deal but a pain when needed.

OP
OP
Sammy123

Sammy123

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sammy
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10 speed Auto
Man, I just a 3rd gear pull for datalogging, MAN this car pulls HARD lol. I didn't think the Steed CJ CAI would make that much of difference, but I can really feel it pulling harder at the top end, especially in the 7000 to 8000 rpm range.

Still having that idle issue though where the car dies at a stoplight after some erratic looping. Hopefully that's tune related and not something install related.

OrangeFury1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ivan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang
Man, I just a 3rd gear pull for datalogging, MAN this car pulls HARD lol. I didn't think the Steed CJ CAI would make that much of difference, but I can really feel it pulling harder at the top end, especially in the 7000 to 8000 rpm range.

Still having that idle issue though where the car dies at a stoplight after some erratic looping. Hopefully that's tune related and not something install related.
Nice! You think its related to the CAI needing a tune revision or CJ/CAI as a whole?

I just installed the Steeda Closed box on stock Manifold and it seems kinda Jerky, just sent in a request with some logs to see if they can be revised.
Sponsored