Sponsored

Ford Solicitation for Extended Warranty

zzrat

Threads
Reaction score
Deerfield,Indiana Land of Moonshine & Critters
Vehicle(s)
GR245 Radioless
Good Day Everyone. Received in mail today from our local Ford dealer the opportunity to re-up the 36000 - 4 year warranty for the total cost of $4355. When I called to get the low down the call was directed to a Ford call service & the gentleman passed along this info based on year model (16') & milage (2445). Also mentioned a $50 per visit deductible.

Wanted to share this with the 350 community & gather any opinions of the terms.

TIA , Rex
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
That sounds like a lot of money. The base bumper to bumper is 3yr/36,000 miles. What's all this about a 4 yr/36,000?

If you let your 3/36 expire, I don't know if you can get it back with an extended warranty. I recently bought a 8/36K for my base R because I don't want to deal with any issues long term.

I think an 8 yr/36,000 extended bumper to bumper warranty is about $1,000, maybe a little more.

Look at flood ford. They did just raise their rates though.

OP
OP
zzrat

zzrat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GR245 Radioless
Tom, If you recall our 16' was a 96 mile used car. The agent I spoke with had all of the info at his fingertips. So they knew it was a second owner car. Also we discussed that the original bumper to bumper had expired in 19'. I did ask twice about the 4 year & he confirmed 36000 /4yr. Seemed pretty rich.

I will check into the Flood Ford extended For comparison. Thanks for the info!

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
Not taking a shot at anyone but I never understood why people get sucked in buying extended warranty
Warranty or insurance are really for what you can’t afford to pay yourself if needed.. house... liability, etc
Obviously some of the people here are well off and therefore can afford to self insure....

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
I bought an extended warranty the day I bought my car because of the roush blower that came with it. May of been a waste of time but we’ll see. I can afford to self insure, I just figured what the hell.

I also buy them for laptops cause I have a habit of dropping them. TVs too cause the damn things die on me.

Sponsored

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
The only way I have purchased extended warranties in the past is if I get all my money back if I don't use it by the end of the period. Only done this on new purchases and it is a contract that you need to arrange when you buy your car.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
The standard warranty as you all know is 3 year and 36k miles bumper to bumper. Powertrain is 5 year and 60K miles. Unless you are willing to assume the risk for a complete rebuild/overhaul of a voodoo engine, the warranty is certainly justified. Again an 8 year 36k warranty is a little over a grand. A new long block will run close to 25 grand.

This all comes down to risk. If you pop an engine out of warranty and the block is salvageable, you will probably get off easy with a 10-12k engine rebuild..... that is if you tear it out and crate it up on your own.

The purpose of warranty protection is not for simple crap like fixing a broken tail light.

Edit:
Once your 3/36 has expired, im not sure if you can get a bumper to bumper warranty. Here is a screenshot of what flood ford has to say......
Screenshot_20210203-220215_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
zzrat

zzrat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GR245 Radioless
8 year / 36000 in my opinion is a NO BRAINER for a grand+.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
The problem is that your original warranty expired. I think that notion is off the table. Anything past 41 months is no longer an esp product.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I bought an extended warranty the day I bought my car because of the roush blower that came with it. May of been a waste of time but we’ll see. I can afford to self insure, I just figured what the hell.

I also buy them for laptops cause I have a habit of dropping them. TVs too cause the damn things die on me.
I have Appleairpod Pro, and there was a rattling in the headphones. I paid for AppleCare and took them in, the guy said I can’t hear the rattle. Said bring back if you can experience it

I said are you joking?

I went outsidetook
Them out of case and stomped on them.

Came back said whoops I accidentally stepped on them. Had no choice but to replace. Tried to play me like I couldn’t get it warranties 29 bucks well worth it

next set was perfect

Sponsored

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
[/QUOTE

So when do the warranty start: after your power train warranty expire, meaning from year 7 to 14?
From when the car was first sold, meaning only adding 2 years ( 7 and 8 ) to the power train warranty.... or ?
Same for the 36k mileage, when do that start ???
When you say it is a no brainer, do you mean that literally, meaning that you never calculated the risk vs reward equation or did you spend some time calculating probabilities based on data?
My gut feeling is that you said that based on nothing more than the fact that $1K is not a huge sum of money ( exactly what the warranty producers are hoping for)

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
I have Appleairpod Pro, and there was a rattling in the headphones. I paid for AppleCare and took them in, the guy said I can’t hear the rattle. Said bring back if you can experience it

I said are you joking?

I went outsidetook
Them out of case and stomped on them.

Came back said whoops I accidentally stepped on them. Had no choice but to replace. Tried to play me like I couldn’t get it warranties 29 bucks well worth it

next set was perfect
nice. That’s why it’s called accidental coverage :)

i actually have equipment breakdown coverage through my insurance for little to nothing. If Ford or roush doesn’t cover it. My extended warranty or insurance should. Insurance is fully aware of the factory blower and my mods.

Thadius

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2017 Gt350
I have a 2017 Gt350 that had a recall on the 17 motor. When the recall was serviced Ford only had 2019 350R motors allocated. Good news I got a new 19 R motor, engine tag verified. Bad news, these motors do fail. I have 14k miles on chassis. 3k miles in motor. I was quoted about 2500 from Ford for an extra 4 year full warranty beginning at the end of manufacturer warranty. And I can pay monthly about 100 bucks. Not bad considering I'm out 25-30k if engine grenades and block is ruined. If you're buying a 50k car and can't afford 100 bucks to protect, you over spent on your car.
100 bucks doesn't ruin anyone. Having a car you can't sell, ruins more than your day. Having said all that...
4k is a little steep.

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
I have a 2017 Gt350 that had a recall on the 17 motor. When the recall was serviced Ford only had 2019 350R motors allocated. Good news I got a new 19 R motor, engine tag verified. Bad news, these motors do fail. I have 14k miles on chassis. 3k miles in motor. I was quoted about 2500 from Ford for an extra 4 year full warranty beginning at the end of manufacturer warranty. And I can pay monthly about 100 bucks. Not bad considering I'm out 25-30k if engine grenades and block is ruined. If you're buying a 50k car and can't afford 100 bucks to protect, you over spent on your car.
100 bucks doesn't ruin anyone. Having a car you can't sell, ruins more than your day. Having said all that...
4k is a little steep.
??? You don’t calculate cost by the monthly payment
And I don’t buy something if I can’t afford to pay cash for it
That said I do agree that the voodoo engine do not have a stellar reputation and could be one of the few cars where an extended warranty is not a loosing proposition

Last edited:

Thadius

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2017 Gt350
??? You don’t calculate cost by the monthly payment
And I don’t buy something if I can’t afford to pay cash for it
That said I do agree that the voodoo engine do not have a stellar reputation and could be one of the few cars where an extended warranty is not a loosing proposition
Gotta respectfully disagree. Ford allows to make monthly payment AND if you cancel or sell the remainder is NOT owed so, it does boil down to monthly payment alone in this case. It's also transferable, the remainder or the monthly payment remaining so also applies to next buyer. Helps resale. Done it many times.
Don't have to take my word for it, call ford. But 4k is too high as is the concenus on the thread which was my main point.

Just offering my experience for a point of reference.
Sponsored