Sponsored

For those that removed the clutch helper spring . . .

OP
OP

Sprintamx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Yes, watch out for the grease! It jumps off the clutch spring perches. I'd suggest having a rag handy.
Sponsored

bpracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FR-S, 2005 F250
No tools required on ours the shorter thick spring can be hard to grab. Just push the clutch pedal in with one hand and press the top of the spring assembly down and towards you and it will come right out.
That was EASY!

Bender

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 LB GT350R HR909, 22 AB GT500 CFTP
I installed my steeda spring yesterday, and I love the feel of the clutch now. One thing I did notice was a little play in the pedal when I initially start to depress it that I do not recall being there with the stock springs. Did any of the others notice the same?
Did you reinstall the white spacer for the 2nd inner spring?

bpracer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FR-S, 2005 F250
I just used the Steeda spring instead of both stock springs.

kratty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'56 Victoria, Tahoe, '16 GT350
I installed my steeda spring yesterday, and I love the feel of the clutch now. One thing I did notice was a little play in the pedal when I initially start to depress it that I do not recall being there with the stock springs. Did any of the others notice the same?
Exactly the same for me.

Sponsored

motorcycle4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 shelby gt500
i'm an old guy who had hard time seeing the spring setup with my bifocals under dash. had steeda spring very uneasy about trying this but i did it in 5 minutes and now i really like driving the car before with ford setup acted like i didn't know how to drive with a clutch after 50yrs now it feels just right so happy i did this

Bender

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 LB GT350R HR909, 22 AB GT500 CFTP
i'm an old guy who had hard time seeing the spring setup with my bifocals under dash. had steeda spring very uneasy about trying this but i did it in 5 minutes and now i really like driving the car before with ford setup acted like i didn't know how to drive with a clutch after 50yrs now it feels just right so happy i did this
Agreed. I found myself letting the car bog out or buck a little because I couldn't consistently find the engagement point with the correct amount of throttle because it was so numb feeling. The steeda spring makes it feel much more how it should.

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
I cant imagine any spring back in there after I chucked my stock spring. Trans feels more normal than ever. Kinda reminds me of my of the smoother action my ol '95 F150 had years ago.

Syberspace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
It's not gimmicky though. I took mine out and without a spring there was a SLIGHT amount of slop in the pedal. It wasn't much, but it was enough to annoy the hell out of me. The $10 Steeda spring took that right out. And at 35lbs, it doesn't make it much lighter than with no spring at all.
This ^
Easy mod.

Sponsored

tuckerware

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R Lightning Blue on the way
Thanks to everyone here on the forums for the great feedback and instructions previously posted.

I bought the car on a Saturday, got home Sunday, and removed the stock spring Monday night. If I realized just how easy it was and how much better it feels I would have done it at the dealership before leaving on my 900 mile drive home.

For anyone on the fence, just take it out. I may try the Steeda spring as well since people seem to like it and it is so inexpensive.

A couple notes on removal:

You don't need tools. Just cover the front of the floor mats near the pedals with shop towels/rags because the stock assembly will fall apart and is covered with lithium grease. I pushed in the clutch with my left hand and then compressed the spring with my right hand and pulled toward me. Popped right out.

SoulTea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Prem. Oxford White
Glad I saw this thread revived as I'm going to pick up the spring before I go get the car tonight.

Awesome video, did not know about this technique. I was going to compress the spring alone and have everything fly everywhere and possibly break the brown retainer. Thanks for making this!
Thanks to everyone here on the forums for the great feedback and instructions previously posted.

I bought the car on a Saturday, got home Sunday, and removed the stock spring Monday night. If I realized just how easy it was and how much better it feels I would have done it at the dealership before leaving on my 900 mile drive home.

For anyone on the fence, just take it out. I may try the Steeda spring as well since people seem to like it and it is so inexpensive.

A couple notes on removal:

You don't need tools. Just cover the front of the floor mats near the pedals with shop towels/rags because the stock assembly will fall apart and is covered with lithium grease. I pushed in the clutch with my left hand and then compressed the spring with my right hand and pulled toward me. Popped right out.
Good call on the towel I would have forgot about that and got grease on the mats.

tuckerware

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Awesome video, did not know about this technique. I was going to compress the spring alone and have everything fly everywhere and possibly break the brown retainer.
I watched that vid but decided it was a little overkill. With the clutch fully depressed you barely need to compress the spring to get it out so it doesn't really explode if you are doing it by hand. The bottom 1/2 of the assembly just falls to the floor - hence the towels.

Last edited:

SoulTea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Prem. Oxford White
I watched that vid but decided it was a little overkill. with the clutch fully depressed you barely need to compress the spring to get it out so it doesn't really explode if you are doing it by hand. The bottom 1/2 of the assembly just falls to the floor - hence the towels.
Really eh? I've only heard people using pliers and tools to compress the spring because it's so heavy I didn't think it could be compressed by hand. May try this method first before the channel locks. Just don't want to snap the top hat.

tuckerware

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Really eh? I've only heard people using pliers and tools to compress the spring because it's so heavy I didn't think it could be compressed by hand. May try this method first before the channel locks. Just don't want to snap the top hat.
I had some pliers on hand but because you have to depress the clutch with one hand working with tools is a little awkward. I didn't think i would be able to compress it but decided to try anyway. You need only need to compress it about 1/4 - 1/2" at most so it is easier than you'd think. Plus, that way you actually have a good grip on the top assembly and since you haven't put much tension on the spring it doesn't rebound much once removed.
Sponsored