Sponsored

First time HPDE event

Docsteph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350 tech
So my dad and new husband are trying to get me out on the track.
It will be at Homestead Speedway, novice class with a coach.
Aside from having nothing inside the car and trunk loose not to fly around, and setting the tire pressure. I already changed the brake fluid and know to check torque on the wheel lugs. Should I adjust the alignment? (dad put in the camber plates but itā€™s at factory settings.)
What settings should I set? Other then sport mode for steering and suspension and exhaust?
Anything else?
Am I missing anything?
Sponsored

BlkGT3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 GT86 Autox, 16 GT350 TP, 06 Civic Si TTD car
So my dad and new husband are trying to get me out on the track.
It will be at Homestead Speedway, novice class with a coach.
Aside from having nothing inside the car and trunk loose not to fly around, and setting the tire pressure. I already changed the brake fluid and know to check torque on the wheel lugs. Should I adjust the alignment? (dad put in the camber plates but itā€™s at factory settings.)
What settings should I set? Other then sport mode for steering and suspension and exhaust?
Anything else?
Am I missing anything?
Have fun :D Sounds like you have it covered start tires at 28 psi and shoot for 35 hot.

If it hasn't been aligned I would get it done before you go. Having the proper rear toe in is critical. Front negative camber around -2.0 to -2.2 is plenty. 0 toe in the front.

Peter

Last edited:

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Yes, alignment. What brake fluid did you use?

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack - Race Red, Blk Roof - G5405
I recommend the factory street alignment, comfortable clothes and shoes, fluids for drinking and an open mind for learning. Hopefully, a little rain will show up - nothing better than rain for learning smoothness!

One trick to help you concentrate on driving: Since you have power seats, move the seat back some, yank the seat belt so it locks, hold it locked while you move the seat back into position. This will help hold you in place. Try it out in the paddock first and clear it with your instructor. Best of luck and have fun!

THX 138

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack, 2002 Porsche Boxster S 3.8L
I recommend the factory street alignment, comfortable clothes and shoes, fluids for drinking and an open mind for learning. Hopefully, a little rain will show up - nothing better than rain for learning smoothness!

One trick to help you concentrate on driving: Since you have power seats, move the seat back some, yank the seat belt so it locks, hold it locked while you move the seat back into position. This will help hold you in place. Try it out in the paddock first and clear it with your instructor. Best of luck and have fun!
This. Excellent advice, on all points. I wouldnā€™t worry about an alignment before your first time out. Bring an open mind, listen to your instructor, and recognize that some of his or her instructions will seem counterintuitive until you start to understand the dynamics of the car and how your throttle, steering, and braking inputs affect them. (ā€œYou want me to give it MORE throttle in this corner???ā€ ā€œYes, unless youā€™d prefer to spin.ā€)

Oddly enough, Iā€™m posting this between sessions at a HPDE event right now, where itā€™s been raining all day, and Iā€™m in my Boxster, which has no traction control or stability control. Iā€™m channeling Glen Campbell... Gentle on my, uh, steering, throttle, and braking inputs. ;)

Sponsored

OP
OP

Docsteph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350 tech
Yes, alignment. What brake fluid did you use?
motul 600
you said yes to alignment would you set to the most aggressive on the Ford spec sheet for track day? or some other settings?

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
-2 front camber with all the other default track settings. Follow the suggestion of 28 psi cold and check your hot pressure readings immediately after each session. I saw a guy have a blowout on the front stretch at Daytona last year and he took the wall pretty hard.

Follow your instructors advice however. That's what he/she is there for

OP
OP

Docsteph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350 tech
thank you all, I appreciate everyone's input. Getting excited, just have to pick which date works best for my schedule and hope my Dad can come and watch and take some pics.
The seat belt trick sounds great, I am tall but slender and swim in the seat a bit, and this makes a lot of sense. It actual sounds like a trick I can use next year in my fellowship when I get to drive an EMS director's Tahoe.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
You may want to look into a catch can as well. Ford recommends them for track driving, but their benefit is debatable. I put a set from UPR on my car, but mostly as a CYA.

I have not bothered to align my car to track specs yet, but have been happy with balance so don't feel an immediate need.

Still using stock brake fluid, but after 4 track days I need to change the front pads and therefore will change fluid to Castrol SRF.

Unfortunately I parked with the pads were still hot and ended up with uneven deposits and will need to change the front rotors as well.

I think for a first timer you could go completely stock in this car and not have any issues. Just be sure to get the pads cooled off before parking so you don't have the issue I did, which leads to vibration during braking.

I just did a track day on Saturday, and already want to go back. You are going to have so much fun!

Oh, one more thing. If you can find videos online of people running the track, you might watch a few to see the racing line. The trick there is to deduce which videos show the "right" line for your car, and which are the ones to dismiss. Still, it does help quite a bit to get familiar with landmarks and such.

-T

OP
OP

Docsteph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350 tech
Thanks again for great tips.
Yes the car has catch cans both sides, I know the passenger side is the important one, itā€™s not the Ford one but one made by a veteran group in Florida, really nice fit, big canister.

Sponsored

5.0 435

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
.07 Shelby SGT #0016 ...18 GT PP1 manual
Having a 350 tech car in south fla be aware of the possibility of going into limp mode ( unless you have added the coolers ). Iā€™d also double check my oil filter and all lines. Be safe and always look straight ahead where you want to go. If you look @ an object you donā€™t want to hit chances are you will hit it. Sounds stupid but itā€™s true. Keep your feet off the brakes once you are stopped in the pits.

Last edited:

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Track insurance, if itā€™s offered. Your street insurance likely doesnā€™t cover driving events.

Seating position - you might end up a bit closer to the wheel than your accustomed to. With your back against the seat and your arms extended, your wrists should sit comfortably on top of the steering wheel, enough so that your entire hands, from the palm to your fingertips drape over the other side. Ask your instructor.

In a spin - both feet in. Ask instructor :)

Have fun!

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack - Race Red, Blk Roof - G5405
^And your knees should have a decent bend to them with the clutch & brake fully pressed.

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
Also if your instructor is good with it I recommend letting him drive the car in one of the instructor track sessions with you in the passenger seat. This will allow you to:
- concentrate to learn flag station locations
- learn the track layout
- understand what the car feels like under you at speed
- show you what the car is capable of at the hands of an experienced driver

The above teaches you a lot. Just came from an HPDE and was able to take 3 seconds off my lap time after observing the instructor run my car. This was my 7th track day so still lots to be gained.

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
[MENTION=30404]Docsteph[/MENTION] Are you going to HMS this coming Sat. 10/21 with PDG? If so I may also be there... I'll know later this week depending on my travel sched.

Homestead infield is fun enough and the riskiest is turn 10 if you're off the line or if you're not on your throttle during the turn in descent. If you don't have a trans cooler in your Tech pack then stay mostly in 4th gear except in a few turns and don't even downshift to 2nd. Anyway I'll look for you folks if I'm there...
Sponsored