All Things FORD

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
The scuff I see is only on the lip I believe? If so that can be wet sanded down and clear coat re-applied as that doesn't have actual color under it but simply the aluminum with clear coat on top I believe. If it gets into the painted spoke area then base and clear will be required.

I have used wheel repair companies in the past, the one I used when I was in NC was mobile and did excellent work for a reasnable price.

OP
OP
kellyreno

kellyreno

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dal
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
The scuff I see is only on the lip I believe? If so that can be wet sanded down and clear coat re-applied as that doesn't have actual color under it but simply the aluminum with clear coat on top I believe. If it gets into the painted spoke area then base and clear will be required.

I have used wheel repair companies in the past, the one I used when I was in NC was mobile and did excellent work for a reasnable price.
Yes, just the rim. It looked painted because of the difference in color. What grit to wet sand to start with? I have dremel tools also. Cannot even find rubbing compound in local auto parts here.

Sponsored

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
Yes, just the rim. It looked painted because of the difference in color. What grit to wet sand to start with? I have dremel tools also. Cannot even find rubbing compound in local auto parts here.
I would probably start with 1000 grit and lightly sand and see how well it smooths down. Best to start least agressive and then work up from there. Maybe even 2000 grit. 600 would probably be the roughest I would try. 1000 to 2000 then use some good heavy polish. I would also wet sand when sanding too. If it's too deep and down to the metal, you will need to re-clear. There is a pen type clear like touch up paint you can get, lightly coat then when good and dry sand back down...

Take all this with a grain of salt, I am definetely not a pro, just a weekend warrior :)

OP
OP
kellyreno

kellyreno

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dal
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
I would probably start with 1000 grit and lightly sand and see how well it smooths down. Best to start least agressive and then work up from there. Maybe even 2000 grit. 600 would probably be the roughest I would try. 1000 to 2000 then use some good heavy polish. I would also wet sand when sanding too. If it's too deep and down to the metal, you will need to re-clear. There is a pen type clear like touch up paint you can get, lightly coat then when good and dry sand back down...

Take all this with a grain of salt, I am definetely not a pro, just a weekend warrior :)
Sounds like you have been there before. Thanks for the help!

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I’d just say eff it and get a new set of wheels 🤣.

I like Skinny’s approach, start with a 2,000 grit sand paper and see what that does. Increase coarseness from there but as suggested, do it in small increments. Make sure to tape off the spokes and areas that are actually painted that are near the area so you don’t accidentally hit them.

Otherwise, most good wheel shops should be able to take care of it no problem. @Discount Tire for all the years I’ve been tires from you all, I didn’t know you had a wheel repair service. Is it just at certain locations?

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
What part of SC are you in? I had a local shop in Augusta do a great job on two badly scoffed wheels.. went from this to this.

Repaired Rear Wheel.jpg

Damaged Rear Wheel.jpg

OP
OP
kellyreno

kellyreno

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dal
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
I’d just say eff it and get a new set of wheels 🤣.

I like Skinny’s approach, start with a 2,000 grit sand paper and see what that does. Increase coarseness from there but as suggested, do it in small increments. Make sure to tape off the spokes and areas that are actually painted that are near the area so you don’t accidentally hit them.

Otherwise, most good wheel shops should be able to take care of it no problem. @Discount Tire for all the years I’ve been tires from you all, I didn’t know you had a wheel repair service. Is it just at certain locations?
They are looking at mine for repair in Anderson. SC

Sponsored

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
They are looking at mine for repair in Anderson. SC
I live in east TN now but originally from Western NC. I know there is a mobile repair guy that roams around to all the dealerships in WNC and offers repair services. He does great work, I always worked thru the VW dealer in Asheville, my Ex wife was famous for curbing wheels :)

rcboxer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT premium
What part of SC are you in? I had a local shop in Augusta do a great job on two badly scoffed wheels.. went from this to this.

Repaired Rear Wheel.jpg

Damaged Rear Wheel.jpg
how much they charge you of that?

Im looking at some gt350 wheels that have curb rash. Would sell them to me for $350

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I had both wheels on the right side scratched due to someone stepping out in front of me and me deciding to take to the curb versus running them over. The two wheels cost $175 total to repair. This was a year ago.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)