Sponsored

Family Sedan

SJulian10mm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangless
The wife and I have 3 vehicles and no kids (at the moment). We currently have her 03 Tundra, my 11 Tacoma and our 16 Mustang GT. We intend to replace the Tundra later this year with a family sedan, as kid will be on the way by the end of the year. No need for 2 pickup trucks and the Tundra has 150k on it (typical Toyota still trouble free), Tacoma has only 50k. The sedan will be driven 90% of the time by the wife whom is very short (5'2'). Looking to spend 25-30k for a "mid-size" sedan...automatic, FWD or AWD (want snow capability).

On the table:
Ford Fusion
Toyota Camry
Subaru Lagacy
VW Passat
Honda Accord

Any others we should consider? Any of these we shouldn't?
Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Ford Fusion
Honda Accord
Nissan Maxima
Chrysler 300

Would be my list

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
I've gone through this research rodeo. The Accord (in EX-L or Sport Special Edition trim) is by far the nicest feeling quality wise and I am sure will outlast all the others (maybe not the Camry, but..who wants to be in a Camry that long), the Sport/Sport SE is pretty fun to drive, too. The Fusion is faster with the ecoboost, but the interior is relatievly cheap feeling/looking and has some weird design choices to it. I would not touch a Volkswagen.

NHEcoboost

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium/PP
My previous car was a '13 Fusion Titanium. This specific car was a fit and finish (interior-wise) let down, but aside from that, it was a very enjoyable car. I actually loved it, but felt it had just too many rattles for a car at that price point. I know several other Fusion owners who did not have any my issues. I thought the interior was very nice, very cleanly designed, very comfortable and spacious. The Sony sound system was excellent and it drove wonderfully. Plus, these can be had with AWD. I probably would have kept it if not for the S550 Mustang.

The Accord is an excellent choice as well. You can never go wrong with a Honda, based on my past ownership experience (3 Hondas, 1 Acura). If used is an option, an Acura RL would be on my short list as well.

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Premium Pony Pack "4HORSEMEN"
I was always a fan of the look of the Honda Crosstours, though never even sat in one. Could be an option if you don't mind used.

Sponsored

'Merica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Z51 3LT Stingray
If I was wanting snow capability I would definitely go with the Subaru on that list. And then the Accord.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I've got a '11 VW Tiguan in the fleet (2.0T, 4Motion) that has been an anvil since buying it in the fall of 2010. It was the first foreign vehicle I ever bought and has never failed to impress, great in snow. Still wearing well, no rattles, doors still all shut with a pleasing 'thunk'. I hope to get another 3-4 years out of it before I'm in the boat of looking for something else for the SO to drive (she's short too). The new VW AWD wagon intrigues me, but she's got an aversion to wagons, which is silly when she drives a damn crossover (same shit, different smell).

I'd really rather get an AWD car similar to those on the list above, but she'll probably win out and it'll be a small crossover again. I'd consider another Tiguan, but the upcoming new ones are bland looking so I'm thinking Ford or Honda. I've never owned a Honda, but everyone I know that's had one has had nothing but good things to say about them, so I'm leaning that way at the moment.

Earlsays

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 MUSTANG GT
Go take a serious look at a new Taurus - They are REALLY nice, and they don't seem to sell well...They are roomy, luxurious, comfortable, etc.

Sponsored

HappySquirrel

W85 Whale Oil Tune
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB PP CO, 97 Pathfinder 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
I know I may get laughed at, but if you want to get a new car and save some money you might at least look at a Chrysler 200. I've read that they're decent cars (just not quite as good as their competitors) and Chrysler dealers are having a fire sale to get rid of them not that they're being discontinued. There was an article about it on Jalopnik a couple of weeks ago and many of them were selling for less than most compact cars.

LightningBlue17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost, Lightning Blue
My family has both a 15 Fusion Titanium and a 14 Passat 1.8 Wolfsburg Edition. LOVE the Fusion - we also had a 2010 hybrid - and would recommend. The 2.0 ecoboost is fun to drive.

The Passat is OK - 1.8L Turbo has a lot of oomph. Interior is not as nice as the Fusion, and I have heard (but haven't experienced yet) that they are costly to repair.

FWIW, we haven't had luck with Chrysler products. Head gaskets had to be replaced multiple times by dealer on both vehicles we owned, and lots of other problems (electrical and mechanical). Plus fit and finish is mediocre at best. Sadly, looks like they haven't improved, judging by annual rankings at bottom of quality surveys.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
FWIW, we haven't had luck with Chrysler products. Head gaskets had to be replaced multiple times by dealer on both vehicles we owned, and lots of other problems (electrical and mechanical). Plus fit and finish is mediocre at best. Sadly, looks like they haven't improved, judging by annual rankings at bottom of quality surveys.
My DD is a Jeep (2013 Wrangler), and I've had several. I absolutely love them but, frankly, Chrysler's quality sucks balls. I am hoping the new Bronco saves me from buying another.

HappySquirrel

W85 Whale Oil Tune
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB PP CO, 97 Pathfinder 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
My DD is a Jeep (2013 Wrangler), and I've had several. I absolutely love them but, frankly, Chrysler's quality sucks balls. I am hoping the new Bronco saves me from buying another.
My dad must be the Mopar whisperer, because him and my stepmom have owned 5 mopars over the last 3 decades (3 minivans in a row, a neon, and a Dakota that my dad has driven for 20 years). My dad has had nary a problem with any of them. Of course, he does take good care of them and he drives like a grandpa. Maybe that has something to do with it.

Zodiac

Sarcasm Personified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Charger R/T Scat Pack
Mazda 6!

Only choice if you are looking for a mid sized sedan on a budget!

We had a 14 that we absolutely loved. Only got rid of it because wife wanted a SUV.
Sponsored