Sponsored

Factory paperwork in glove box - "potato chip"

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
That shit is Illuminati code for "there's an RFID chip embedded in your UAW S550"

Good luck finding it!
Sponsored

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
The country's best potatoes comes from Idaho, maybe your car was made in Idaho. ;)

Terry :ford:

scoggy_doogan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
I've seen tools left in cars from the plants before. Things unhooked. Random parts sitting in cars that need to be installed. In this case, I bet this car was finished at the end of the day and they rolled out before they finished the inspection cleaning. They don't usually like to ship things out incomplete or with random papers still in it.
I thought quality control was supposed to make sure things like this don't happen. Maybe I don't understand how it works?

Schism

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT - Perf
I thought quality control was supposed to make sure things like this don't happen. Maybe I don't understand how it works?
There is no "quality control" for quality control

BamBam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
370Z
Late to the party... But I remember reading this thread but not having the time to log in on my phone and respond.

I work at the Tesla production plant in Fremont... We have a lot of in house names for things, Like the black metal trim on the interior edges of the doors on the Model X is called race track and I forgot about this thread until we had a problem with a part on a door handle being loose.

We call it, Potato chip... It's the interior removable plastic piece behind the door handle that covers mounting screws.

There's a lot of paper work in the cars that I have to discard, A lot of times there's notes attached to it where somewhere along the line of the several inspections a problem was found. Or if there is a parts shortage the vehicle is still made but a note is left on the dash and it's sent to another part of the factory until the parts come in and is installed by a technician.

I think judging by it being a printed out piece of paper and not scribbles on the back of the manifest (A long sheet of paper listing all of the cars specs [Like country of destination because each country has their own standards that certain parts have to adhere to, every single option chosen, colors etc...]) it is most likely a parts shortage note that they forgot to discard... Because it'll get tiring having to write down "potato chip" on 100+ cars, it's easier to print out a bunch and just put them on the dash or windshield.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Built4Speed

Built4Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium White
Another paper said "Part shortage LH inner door bezel", that part was actually missing I noticed several days later and the dealer ordered it.

....we had a problem with a part on a door handle being loose.

We call it, Potato chip... It's the interior removable plastic piece behind the door handle that covers mounting screws.
Sound like mystery solved. The part at Tesla you are calling potato chip is the exact piece my car was missing.

Thank you for chiming in!

Dirtyblueshirt

Award Winning Taste™
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
I've seen tools left in cars from the plants before. Things unhooked. Random parts sitting in cars that need to be installed. In this case, I bet this car was finished at the end of the day and they rolled out before they finished the inspection cleaning. They don't usually like to ship things out incomplete or with random papers still in it.
My car has been missing the passenger side coat hook since delivery. I've never had the dealer replace it (always "we'll check and get back to you"). I'm convinced at this point it is the root cause of the year of hell with this car.

Ultrakla$$ic

Whoflung Poo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Ingot Silver Premium
My car has been missing the passenger side coat hook since delivery. I've never had the dealer replace it (always "we'll check and get back to you"). I'm convinced at this point it is the root cause of the year of hell with this car.
Yep. TOTALED!!!!!:D

Mr Snappy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT-Vert, 2015 Tahoe LTZ
The day I got my car my wife found an earring in the passenger floorboard. A pos cheap earring. My car was ordered and I was there when it was delivered. Only one person drove it before I got it, a male who does not wear earrings! Someone at flat rock dropped it in the car.
....so, did you wife believe your "explanation"? :D

Sponsored

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
Years ago I was at a GM dealership, when a Buick owner came in complaining about a rattling/knocking sound in the side wall. Turned out to be an empty coke bottle an assembler had stuffed in.

BamBam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
370Z
Sound like mystery solved. The part at Tesla you are calling potato chip is the exact piece my car was missing.

Thank you for chiming in!
I should of looked at the picture again before responding, Yeah that's what they're referring to in the parts shortage.

No idea why they'd need 2 notes but it explains why your car had it missing... the note was in the glove box. Do they not have quality inspectors and computer systems that would notify the inspector to check to make sure the car had all the parts replaced during a shortage? :doh:

For us, If a car was built during a part shortage it's sequence number is flagged when you run the sequence or vin... When it gets to final confirmation, They check the vin or sequence and a list of repaired defects and part shortages pops up and they check over everything including the defect and missing part. if it fails, it does not leave the factory... It gets sent to repair.

keltymd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 PP
I should of looked at the picture again before responding, Yeah that's what they're referring to in the parts shortage.

No idea why they'd need 2 notes but it explains why your car had it missing... the note was in the glove box. Do they not have quality inspectors and computer systems that would notify the inspector to check to make sure the car had all the parts replaced during a shortage? :doh:

For us, If a car was built during a part shortage it's sequence number is flagged when you run the sequence or vin... When it gets to final confirmation, They check the vin or sequence and a list of repaired defects and part shortages pops up and they check over everything including the defect and missing part. if it fails, it does not leave the factory... It gets sent to repair.
Ask the guys in the 140 page thread on vibration and the answer to your question becomes obvious. No no they don't have a quality inspection process at ford any more. 6 Sigma got rid of it to save money :)
Sponsored