Electric for everyone - the impossible dream

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Hello; An example of something which has not happened yet (and may not happen) is the speculation a national "climate emergency" is being considered being declared.
That is a concerning idea on many fronts. Among my "constant suspicions" to turn a phrase is the implication draconian actions could be taken. Perhaps in a similar way the recent pandemic was used.
Your assumptions for the future are all predicated on everything continuing on the current path. Mine are based on constant change to everything (environment, technology, government, demographics, etc.).
Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Hello; I suggest a look up of recent EPA rules change concerning power plants. In some parts the rules give operators until 2028 to comply so in an absolute sense the thing has not occured. In a real world scenario power companies must scramble to alter infrastructure to be able to be in compliance by the deadlines.
Same as for auto manufacturers must change over operations well ahead of the looming 2030-2035 mandate deadlines.

Some , perhaps even you, seem to think these rules, mandates just wil not happen. Perhaps by magic, I do not actually understand. I think these edicts & mandates will happen unless some actions are taken to stop them. There is no evidence of common sense from among those in power who are declaring these EPA rules and state mandated no ICE sales by date certain.

I have a small voice and intend to use it.
See: 18th amendment.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
See: 18th amendment.
Hello; I puzzled over this for a bit. Here is a first take within the context of climate change. Back in the day an aggressive population with an anti-booze agenda upset the nation because they managed to install their agenda into laws.
Outside of the pros or cons of alcohol consumption there were serious consequences, intended or not. Organized crime for one. Deaths and injuries from home brewed alcohol. The rise of NASCAR perhaps can be tossed in.

A lesson perhaps being an aggressive population can install a flawed agenda providing enough folks do not take the threats seriously. An example might be PBS nature programs such as NOVA, NATURE and others. A very recent example was the season 3 episode 1 of Changing Planet I recorded this week and watched last night. This was clearly an agenda driven program. Stands out in my mind because of the contrast between current programing and similar programing of many decades ago.
To be clearer. I was trained during a time when pure science was expected to be neutral during documentation in films and studies. Nothing neutral now days. I will be surprised if any opposing voices wind up on PBS nature programing.

A same time example was happening on C-Spans Washington Journal as I typed this.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Oh is that all?

Two researchers at the University of California, Davis -- Yanning Li and Alan Jenn -- have determined that nearly two-thirds of [California's] feeder lines don't have the capacity that will likely be needed for car charging. Updating to handle the rising demand might set its utilities back as much as 40 percent of the existing grid's capital cost.

Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)

Nightmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jens
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
It's already off the table again.
What is much worse is that this is the typical alarmism of politics these days, instead of calmly working out solutions, they are ranting in the press.
If you ask me, this type of politician doesn't even belong on a city council.

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
It's already off the table again.
What is much worse is that this is the typical alarmism of politics these days, instead of calmly working out solutions, they are ranting in the press.
If you ask me, this type of politician doesn't even belong on a city council.
Hello; Thanks for the update. There is a tactic somewhat related to asking for more money than you actually need. The idea is to ask high and then appear to settle for less when the less is just what was wanted to begin with. At the end of the article was mentioned lowering the speed limit if no weekend driving failed. Perhaps a lower speed limit was the desired goal???

To me it smacks of a way to push EV's in a roundabout manner. There is a faulty logic afoot with a main premise being EV's are so very much "cleaner" than other vehicles. No tailpipe emissions do not actually mean no emissions/pollution associated with EV's overall.

Sponsored

Nightmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jens
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt
Minister Wissing is more in favor of sticking to no speed limit.
But the general speed limit is also purely symbolic politics, if you ask me, because there are very few stretches of road that allow unlimited (because of traffic, roadworks, fixed limits because of road condition or landscape and electronic/dynamic limits because of all reasons before) and even when unlimited driving is allowed, only a few people drive very fast.
I very much doubt that it would have as big an impact as the proponents are fabulating.
Especially as a general speed limit is already being introduced technologically by EVs.
Besides, there are also people who not only want to limit freeways in general, but also want to further reduce the current limits on rural and urban roads. The dogma is obviously standstill for everyone. 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
World leaders make historic decision to shut down all coal power plants by 2035: 'The advanced economies of the world are committed to phasing out coal' (msn.com)

“Group of Seven countries have further demonstrated their commitment to a low-carbon future by announcing member nations will phase out "unabated" coal-fired power stations by 2035.”

“The G7, which is comprised of the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, France, Germany, Japan, and Italy — with the European Union also participating — made the agreement during talks in Italy at the end of April, as CNN reported. “

“However, the EPA recently announced new policies that will force existing coal-based power plants to shut down by 2032 if they don't capture at least 90% of their carbon pollution, which is relatively compatible with the "unabated" caveat. The U.S. coal industry is poised to carry on, but with restrictions that would make it a much less polluting energy source.”

Hello, my comments; Back some years ago I seem to recall the state of California passed or perhaps unilaterally enacted, some sort of “cleaner energy” regulations. Someone can perhaps correct me if I am mistaken. The overall idea was to reduce pollution, I think. Well, whatever I got right or wrong about it I seem to recall the state wound up importing energy (electricity) from bordering states.

Here I truly speculate. Did the electricity imported cost more? Did they actually reduce pollution overall or merely move the sources to someplace else?

Back to my included link. I need an analogy for how foolish I think these anti coal edits are. A very poor analogy is to picture our lifestyles/economies as a very large leaky ship. That the engines which keep it sailing along and also pump out the water which leaks in also pollute. That we have cleaned up those engines over decades does not seem to matter. That the wind catching sails and solar panels are not up to the job does not seem to count much. Seems some will let the ships slowly sink. Guess the champions figure to be on the upper decks. I and so many others are stuck on the lower decks and will feel the water soonest.

Dare I point out China & India
Sponsored