Sponsored

Ecoboost PP caliper painting

JohnDoe

<3 short walks to my car
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 pp vert
I just don't get it why is everyone so excited to paint their brakes? It seems like so much hassle for no gain. Every day I see pieces of crap with painted brakes its not impressing anyone
To each their own. I like to keep the black/red theme going
IMG_6261.jpg
Sponsored

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
I have an 04 Mazda 3 with calipers that were painted 6 years ago. I used the VHT high temp brake caliper kit. I removed the calipers, cleaned them, applied the primer, color coat (black), Mazda stickers, then the clear coat.

A few tips: despite what some say, use the primer. It adds thickness which helps to fill in irregularities and creates the best bond. Read the directions and pay attention to the times required for reapplication. Finally, cure the paint by baking them in an oven at 200 degrees for 1 hour.

After 6 years they still look like new and the dirt and disc brake dust fall off when washing. I've helped friends do the same with their cars with no issues. The G2 is an excellent product as well, but it's a bit more difficult to keep the brush marks out and you are limited with time to apply due to it being an epoxy.
when taking off you wheels and putting it back on, You will chip the calipers.

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
I have to agree
Unless you are removing them to properly paint or powder coat

the brush painted calipers remind me of my picnic table out back that's been painted one too many times

:p

unless you are up close inches away from the caliper you cant even see the brush marks. My car looks 10x better with painted calipers.

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
when taking off you wheels and putting it back on, You will chip the calipers.
It hasn't happened yet. That is why it's important to cure them in the oven and not on the car with brake heat. I suppose if you were real sloppy taking the wheels on and off it could happen if you hit them just right. But if you are, you probably aren't the type of person who is interested in painting them anyway. Not everyone is into painted calipers. I did it because I was doing a rotor and brake replacement anyway and I had the time.

mimartin15

Flossy's Mom
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michelle =)
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Prem
Got My Calipers painted this weekend

Excited to finally get my calipers painted this weekend. And my friend even painted my ponies on my wheels to match! :love:
Capture.JPG

Jay159866

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 1966 Coupe
I think it makes a big difference in appearance to paint the calipers. I painted them with Duplicolor Caliper Paint and cleared them with VHT.
Sponsored