Lsstefan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefan
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost
Hey guys.
I'm always afraid of opening a new thread, but I've searched this forum and others also.
I got an Ecoboost PP and I was told these brakes are the ones from the S197.
I want to paint them professionally, but I got a friend with a Focus ST that painted his and he had some problems while putting them back.
All was done at a mechanic of course, but even then, he had to call a Ford Rep to come and put in some values, torque whatever.
My concern is that considering I'm the first in my country to paint them, nobody will know how to put them back so that they work like previously. I don't want to drive and have no brakes...

Is the caliper reinstall straight forward? Should I contact a Ford Rep to be prepared just in case... I live in a small town and while there are some neat mechanics here, I doubt they ever worked on a Mustang before.

Thank you for all the help.
Kind regards.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Lsstefan

Lsstefan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefan
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost
I've heard bad things about it. Not functional ones, but it he might not spray it all, or he may hit some other parts...
Idk

R3troGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Coupe - 2019 RAM 1500 BH
I had my Calipers painted last week by a shop. They did not take the calipers of the car. You just need to spend the time to properly mask things off. I used to do this myself on previous cars but don't have a place now for it. Tinfoil is great to use for masking things, as it sticks to stuff on it's own and can be shaped easily.

JohnDoe

<3 short walks to my car
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 pp vert

Sponsored

Iceman2733

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT
I did my last GT with G2 paint worked great with the brush that was included. I will say listen to a few on here and use a small foam brush instead of the brush included to help you paint faster. Painted them while on the car just used some masking tape to tape off with. Than sprayed some brake cleaner on a rag and wiped the rotors down after removed tape.

Renner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT SOLD-2015 Ecoboost SOLD
Go to Walmart and pick up a kids brush set in the art/craft aisle. Comes with 3-5 different brushes and they are much better than the stock brush plus you get different sizes. Stock brush tends to shed

json

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Ecoboost PP
I painted mine. I fully removed the callipers so that I could properly paint and cure the high temperature paint. I watched a couple youtube videos on the removal and installation of callipers in general, and the only caveats are that you need to replace the copper washers on the banjo bolts (the bolts that connect the brake lines to the callipers), and of course bleed the brake lines after.

Here's a quick imgur album: http://imgur.com/a/OHPER

Sponsored
OP
OP
Lsstefan

Lsstefan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefan
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost
Wow lots of responses.
Thanks guys.
I don't have a wallmart here, but I'll consider all your opinions and I'll ask the painter of choice if he can paint them on the car.

Kind regards.

Niz55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
My experience with both. Painting using spray will get you better results as far as smoothness of the paint but it will chip very easy.

G2 is a very thick paint and epoxy mix and will last long time but using the brush that comes with it will leave the paint with marks from the paint brush. I just did mine again with g2. I don't really care about the brush marks because they are not noticable from couple feet away and that is fine with me as long as I have no chips I am happy

G2

VHT spray with high temp clear

Last edited:

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
I have an 04 Mazda 3 with calipers that were painted 6 years ago. I used the VHT high temp brake caliper kit. I removed the calipers, cleaned them, applied the primer, color coat (black), Mazda stickers, then the clear coat.

A few tips: despite what some say, use the primer. It adds thickness which helps to fill in irregularities and creates the best bond. Read the directions and pay attention to the times required for reapplication. Finally, cure the paint by baking them in an oven at 200 degrees for 1 hour.

After 6 years they still look like new and the dirt and disc brake dust fall off when washing. I've helped friends do the same with their cars with no issues. The G2 is an excellent product as well, but it's a bit more difficult to keep the brush marks out and you are limited with time to apply due to it being an epoxy.

gtlaw

JcRoush hater
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a car
I just don't get it why is everyone so excited to paint their brakes? It seems like so much hassle for no gain. Every day I see pieces of crap with painted brakes its not impressing anyone

Ron@cp-e

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
whoosh
Vehicle(s)
2015 EBM
I just don't get it why is everyone so excited to paint their brakes? It seems like so much hassle for no gain. Every day I see pieces of crap with painted brakes its not impressing anyone

I have to agree
Unless you are removing them to properly paint or powder coat

the brush painted calipers remind me of my picnic table out back that's been painted one too many times

:p
Sponsored