EB or GT?

Warhead

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I went with Ecoboost as a guy who liked saving the $6k and wanting to have the premium package with leather, cooled seats, upgraded wheels etc at a savings. I also knew that the Ecoboost was already packing serious kick even compared to earlier generation GT's, but without the growl.

Once I hit 10,000 miles I was looking for some more kick though, and went with a tune and a few bolt on mods that total somewhere in the $1,300 range. The Roush axle back exhaust, while not much of a performance boost, does give a satisfying and lower exhaust note, and gets rid of that raspy sound...so I actually dig how the car sounds now. Still, it's not going to sound like a GT.

Gas mileage is another consideration, even regularly stomping it I am averaging 27.5 MPG with around town and hwy driving. I was averaging 28.2 before I got my tune...but it's so much more fun now I don't think much about that.

Having said all that, if money isn't the object, you sound like a GT guy.
Sponsored

OP
OP

JBinSD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pending acquisition. . . .
Lol, thanks guys, covers most of the stereotypes and legit issues. The booty-coolers/warmers are really why I want the premium. I'm currently in a '16 EB premium, (wife's new Jag is in the shop, the 'stang is a rental, and I love it) and the seats are way more comfy than my M228i Gran Coupe.

I've leased a car for almost 18 yrs now, so owning one sounds great, actually having something at the end of the payments, but invariably my attention wanders in 1-3 years, so I will really be testing myself to commit to owning this for at least 5 yrs. I guess with that commitment I shouldn't compromise. . .

I found a couple GT Premium MT verts in So Cal under $45k, I'm leaning in that direction now. . .

LightningBlue17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost, Lightning Blue
I have an EB and am very happy with it, but if you are gonna worry about what others think, get the GT.

For me, the 310hp is a good start, and I plan on tuning it for even more HP. Drive it every day to work and get 24 mpg. So far I've gotten a lot of compliments on the color and the sound (I upgraded the exhaust with a new catback). Only gotten one dick comment - "where's the rest of your engine?". I replied "310 HP". That shut him up.

seth21w

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT base PP ingot silver
EB!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Sponsored

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
I'm sure this debate has been beaten to death, but the Search function didn't give me much info.

I'm debating between a convertible EB or GT MT premium. There's no denying that V8 growl is intoxication, and a blast to drive, but I'm also thinking it might kill me and/or suspend my license.

I currently have a rental EB Premium in A8, and its decently powerful. I drove the EB MT and the GT MT today, and they both were great drives, although obviously the GT had the "wow" factor.

I used to race liter bikes, but then dropped down to small Ninja 300's after realizing its more fun to ride a slow bike fast, instead of a fast bike slow. Since I don't plan on tracking the 'stang, (at least now), I'm trying to convince myself the EB is "enough", but also realize I'll probably have buyer's remorse with whatever decision I make.

If you've been through the same internal debate, which way did you go, and are you happy with your decision?

Thanx,
Joel
The EB/PP/ZF is a phenomenal car. It is .5 seconds slower than the V8 to 60, and handles better than the GT thanks to less weight up front. 98% of my driving is on back county roads with lots of curves with a max speed limit of 55mph so the EB/PP is perfect car for my situation.

My past cars include Audi, Porsche, and Genesis coupe 3.8, and the EB/PP is my favorite. At the end of the day you need to be happy with your purchase so buy what makes you happy. I can buy any Mustang including a GT350 and I chose the one that best fits my needs rather than trying to impress others with the number of cylinders or exhaust sound. Be yourself and you will be happy with your purchase.

Last edited:

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
I went through this debate before I bought my GT. Gas mileage, blech, not really much difference when you break it down. If you're not planning on doing any spirited driving and just like the car, the EB is probably going to be much better for you in terms of price, saving gas/mileage, and lack of mods.

But if you like to drive hard (considering your background...lol), then the difference in mileage between the 2 shrinks really quickly as you have to hammer the EB to get anything close to the GT.

In the end, it's all about what you want and what you're willing to do to get it. Both cars are highly modifiable to get some extra power, but like many others have stated, there's been lots of buyer's remorse with guys not getting the GT. Just getting a GT with a cheap axle-back is enough to make it worth it for most people.

But it's mainly about how you drive, how you plan to drive, and if you have any specific plans for the vehicle (DD/track/race etc.). Make those decisions first.

(and then get the GT ferchrissakes and put a cat-back on it!)

crs2879

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Lol, thanks guys, covers most of the stereotypes and legit issues. The booty-coolers/warmers are really why I want the premium. I'm currently in a '16 EB premium, (wife's new Jag is in the shop, the 'stang is a rental, and I love it) and the seats are way more comfy than my M228i Gran Coupe.

I've leased a car for almost 18 yrs now, so owning one sounds great, actually having something at the end of the payments, but invariably my attention wanders in 1-3 years, so I will really be testing myself to commit to owning this for at least 5 yrs. I guess with that commitment I shouldn't compromise. . .

I found a couple GT Premium MT verts in So Cal under $45k, I'm leaning in that direction now. . .
This car is not a MT but at $32K with 13K miles (plenty of warranty left), you'd be saving a ton of cash even considering the shipping cost:
http://www.offleaseonly.com/used-ca...premium-convertible-rwd-1fatp8ff3g5291227.htm

Sponsored

Built4Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium White
I've leased a car for almost 18 yrs now, so owning one sounds great, actually having something at the end of the payments,. . .
Don't kid yourself, either way, leasing or buy, you are paying the depreciation.

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a

I'm glad I went with the premium. For some people it's not worth it, but I enjoy all the extra features that the premium offers. Also, most compliments I get from non car people are on the premium features such as ambient lighting, puddle lights, etc. The blind spot monitoring, heated/cooled leather, toggle switches, large lcd screen, etc. are all nice to have. I wish they had offered the performance pack with the auto. That being said, I would have been happy with a base GT as well.

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
I went through this debate before I bought my GT. Gas mileage, blech, not really much difference when you break it down. If you're not planning on doing any spirited driving and just like the car, the EB is probably going to be much better for you in terms of price, saving gas/mileage, and lack of mods.

But if you like to drive hard (considering your background...lol), then the difference in mileage between the 2 shrinks really quickly as you have to hammer the EB to get anything close to the GT.

In the end, it's all about what you want and what you're willing to do to get it. Both cars are highly modifiable to get some extra power, but like many others have stated, there's been lots of buyer's remorse with guys not getting the GT. Just getting a GT with a cheap axle-back is enough to make it worth it for most people.

But it's mainly about how you drive, how you plan to drive, and if you have any specific plans for the vehicle (DD/track/race etc.). Make those decisions first.

(and then get the GT ferchrissakes and put a cat-back on it!)
The same old BS from the GT crowd. Gas mileage is the same,? That is a load of crap. I get 22 and I drive like a mad man, the GT gets about 15 when driving hard. That is about 100 miles per tank more with the EB. The EB/PP is the best handling Mustang sub GT350 so for spirited driving the EB/PP is the best choice. 1/2 a second seperates the GT and EB/PP so there is really no difference in 0-60 times which is where most legal driving occurs. Buyers remorse because a few people traded in their EB for a GT? I think the buyers remorse sets in once they realized how much more money they are now spending for a GT.

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
if gas is the biggest problem for you, i think you have a problem. lowest gas prices we've seen in ages and you're paying over $30K for a car. Go buy a prius.

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
The same old BS from the GT crowd. Gas mileage is the same,? That is a load of crap. I get 22 and I drive like a mad man, the GT gets about 15 when driving hard. That is about 100 miles per tank more with the EB. The EB/PP is the best handling Mustang sub GT350 so for spirited driving the EB/PP is the best choice. 1/2 a second seperates the GT and EB/PP so there is really no difference in 0-60 times which is where most legal driving occurs. Buyers remorse because a few people traded in their EB for a GT? I think the buyers remorse sets in once they realized how much more money they are now spending for a GT.
I sit at 19.6 with my GT (auto but I drive exclusively with the paddles so I'm in the higher RPM/gas eating ranges more) and I ride it hard and spend plenty of time in traffic which kills the MPG in most vehicles. That's also taking it out on the weekends on some open roads launching and doing triple-digits.

How some get in the 15s range I have no idea. That difference of 3-4 mpg is what I'm basing my opinion on, and I never said the gas mileage is the same. You're getting angry at words that were never written.
Sponsored