Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I'm a bit confused with my mode myself
If your in track mode and want to soften suspension you can only go back to sport mode or normal to soften it a bit.
The exaust tone is also linked to the modes
My mode seems to be about gauges and colour
Sponsored

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
I'm a bit confused with my mode myself
If your in track mode and want to soften suspension you can only go back to sport mode or normal to soften it a bit.
The exaust tone is also linked to the modes
My mode seems to be about gauges and colour
I am a bit confused now, from all the video's and reviews I really thought the exhaust like steering could be set separately from other modes.

But yes I do believe magneride is unfortunately linked to the driving modes, would be nice if Ford would just let you customise or make your own custom mode via the touch screen.

For me on a wet day I'd go with:
Throttle: Normal
Steering: Comfort
Mag ride: Softest possible so most likely normal
Gearbox: Normal

In the dry for road (track(:
Throttle: Sport or Track (Sport or Track)
Steering: Normal (Normal)
Mag ride: Normal or Sport (Track)
Gearbox: Track or Drag (Drag)

Unfortunately so many manufacturers are still so insistent on linking stuff via modes and most of us will always find one setting we love all the time, but to enable it maybe have to be in track mode which is not always great on a UK road in wet conditions.

It is the one area where BMW do excel, well most the time, unfortunately the M2 has gone in this direction as well which is very annoying, but the other M cars and previous generation M cars would let you set suspension, gearbox, steering, traction, throttle/power all independently of each other, hell BMW used to give you six, yes SIX gearbox speeds to select independent of any other settings.

It is a shame that all modern cars seem to be going in the direction of made for dummies. Yes have the pre-selected modes but also let us via a menu screen or even hidden menu setup our cars exactly how we want to drive them.

My Jaguar is not too bad, in dynamic mode you can set gearbox, steering, suspension, throttle and traction control all independent of each other. The only setting you cannot is the diff so the only way to lock it in 4WD mode is to put it in wet/snow mode which results in light steering, longer throttle pedal and soft suspension which is nearly how I'd have it, but it would be nice if the throttle pedal could be normal or even better when in dynamic mode let me set the power split of the diff.

If Jaguar gave customers full control off the AWD system with the ability to set upto 100% rear permanent or adjust to 50/50 would be pretty ace, but they don't even advertise the fact that the driving modes impact the AWD system I only found out because I drove it in wet mode once and found it handled like my Golf R, could just drive it flat out in the wet and it was planted and felt not tail happy like it does in dynamic mode (90% rear driven), I thought I imagined it and was placebo as when I asked Jaguar I got the expression what the fuck is he going on about, LOL. I spoke to the ring taxi SVR driver and asked him and he confirmed it right away and said when he is pushing hard at the ring for lap time in the wet, he uses wet mode as he goes faster, that is a professional or he uses dynamic mode to drift it and show off so I was not imagining it.

But at Vmax200 it was very clear wet mode locks diff 50/50 as it was crushing every other car off the line, the only car on the day which was close was the Turbo S, GTR's, Lambo's, M5's lots of seriously quick stuff got destroyed off the line, but it was hitting 60mph in pretty much 3s flat in the wet, so uncanny and so consistent and just launch it over and over again car is rock solid which I like, never feels fragile like some other fast stuff I've driven.

avocet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I thought magnaride was adjustable through any mode but its not,its set to the mode.
The exaust I'm not sure,you can set it to a timer,then set it to my mode,mine is set on track,gauges set on sport.
If i come off my mode,go through the other modes i can see the flap in the exaust change position.Sound difference between sport and track is nothing,so i think the exaust can be set to a different sound if your on track mode.

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I thought magnaride was adjustable through any mode but its not,its set to the mode.
The exaust I'm not sure,you can set it to a timer,then set it to my mode,mine is set on track,gauges set on sport.
If i come off my mode,go through the other modes i can see the flap in the exaust change position.Sound difference between sport and track is nothing,so i think the exaust can be set to a different sound if your on track mode.
Yeah its a shame manufacturers seem to be doing this these days.

Makes sense you can control exhaust in track mode as on some tracks the exhaust in track mode would get you black flagged.

As the MY18 exhaust sounds glorious, one of the best sounding full stop and if you want more volume from it just get a H or X pipe made for a couple hundred books and jobs good. :)

MrWolf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
MY2018 Magnetic Auto GT
To clarify, exhaust note, gauges and I believe steering,can be changed to whatever setting you want in whatever driver mode by using 'My Mode' (full control)

I tend to drive in sport mode while having the exhaust in Track (in the cabin, there is a marked difference in volume between sport and Track... I was quite surprised as I wasn't really expecting much change).

Magneride is locked to the driver mode you are in (shame really) - If your are in Track/Race mode, you cant put the Magneride into the softest setting.

Sponsored

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Your only below 3500 in drag racing in first gear anyway, so top-end power is just as important and the Shelby is very strong in the top-end.

Its more a point of what a modern automatic can do for acceleration.

Best comparison would be an MY18 M6 vs MY18 A10 but no one has compared the two on the same day, same driver to my knowledge.

Simple facts are A10 MY18 is a mighty quick car, with most of its performance boost coming from the A10, though of course its additional power and torque help the 18 too, but the A6 or M6 would never have got it into 11's stock, the A10 has made that feat possible. :)
No doubt that the A10 is an awesome transmission and makes a big difference on the drag strip. But there first gear (below 3500) matters a lot. On a road course, it doesn't matter at all. For that matter, on a 1/2 mile run the A10's advantage would be overcome by high end torque and HP---trap speed shows that...then add turns.

Both are great for what they were designed, but the comparison is one of apples and oranges.

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No doubt that the A10 is an awesome transmission and makes a big difference on the drag strip. But there first gear (below 3500) matters a lot. On a road course, it doesn't matter at all. For that matter, on a 1/2 mile run the A10's advantage would be overcome by high end torque and HP---trap speed shows that...then add turns.

Both are great for what they were designed, but the comparison is one of apples and oranges.
There trap speeds were pretty identical to be fair again largely due to the A10 having a lot more ratio's to play and other owners are trapping stock A10's at 120mph.

A one mile race between a 350R and an A10 18 would be very interesting for sure.

Does the Shelby top around 170mph in 5th? Is the 6th an overdrive like on the other manual Mustangs?

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
There trap speeds were pretty identical to be fair again largely due to the A10 having a lot more ratio's to play and other owners are trapping stock A10's at 120mph.

A one mile race between a 350R and an A10 18 would be very interesting for sure.

Does the Shelby top around 170mph in 5th? Is the 6th an overdrive like on the other manual Mustangs?
6th is an overdrive. One mile would be most interesting with sharp turns :)

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6th is an overdrive. One mile would be most interesting with sharp turns :)
That overdrive would probably loose it the race then, granted with corners the Shelby will be ahead, but an MY18 with mag ride is quite competent in the twisty bits too, but of course not 350R levels.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
That overdrive would probably loose it the race then, granted with corners the Shelby will be ahead, but an MY18 with mag ride is quite competent in the twisty bits too, but of course not 350R levels.
No need to go into overdrive in a mile. Of course a GT350 (R or non-R) would dominate with corners, though the MY18 is competent. Opposite is true on a strip. GT350 is competent, but not made for that course. Again, the point. 8250 RPM...don't lift, don't shift.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No need to go into overdrive in a mile. Of course a GT350 (R or non-R) would dominate with corners, though the MY18 is competent. Opposite is true on a strip. GT350 is competent, but not made for that course. Again, the point. 8250 RPM...don't lift, don't shift.

Yep point I am making is A10 460HP vs 350R 530HP, yet A10 dominates in drag racing though it less horsepower, its down to the A10, not torque.

The 350R still churned in a 12.2 which is very strong, stronger than a MY18 manual, so though its not made for drag racing its extra power is keeping it ahead of a manual 2018 and well ahead of a 15-17 GT even automatic.

But that A10 is just so quick, not that it would make sense but put the A10 in a 350R and it would no doubt be returning close to mid 11s runs.

Afterall MY18 A10 with NA bolt-ons are in the 10's already. A10 Mustang is even beating the torque monster known as the Camaro.

Point is modern transmissions make cars really quick, much quicker infact and can be the equivalent of upto 100HP in some applications. :)

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Yep point I am making is A10 460HP vs 350R 530HP, yet A10 dominates in drag racing though it less horsepower, its down to the A10.

The 350R still churned in a 12.2 which is very strong, stronger than a MY18 manual, so though its not made for drag racing its extra power is keeping it ahead of a manual 2018 and well ahead of a 15-17 GT even automatic.

But that A10 is just so quick, not that it would make sense but put the A10 in a 350R and it would no doubt be returning close to mid 11s runs.

Afterall MY18 A10 with NA bolt-ons are in the 10's.

Point is modern transmissions make cars really quick, much quicker infact and can be the equivalent of upto 100HP in some applications. :)
Point I am making is that it is more than the A10 that allows the MY18 to turn better 1/4 mile times. The GT350 is not made for 1/4 mile times. Never was; neer will be. The normal GT will give it a run for its money in that setting. The GT350 is made for road courses...period. The MY18 should be put next to the Hellcat/Demon for 1/4s, not next to the GT350. The GT350 does nothing to validate the MY18 drag stip prowess. Oranges and tennis balls.

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Point I am making is that it is more than the A10 that allows the MY18 to turn better 1/4 mile times. The GT350 is not made for 1/4 mile times. Never was; neer will be. The normal GT will give it a run for its money in that setting. The GT350 is made for road courses...period. The MY18 should be put next to the Hellcat/Demon for 1/4s, not next to the GT350. The GT350 does nothing to validate the MY18 drag stip prowess. Oranges and tennis balls.

Not really true that mate, the 350R is a powerful car with 530HP and you say lacking in torque, but its not vtec motor with nothing, its still capable and hence why it can return a low 12's which is better than any current manual GT can return. So horsepower is still king. :)

Point is drop the auto in, it goes faster, with the A10 even quicker again, but agreed that would completely go against the point of the car, if Ford put an auto in the GT 350 it needs to be the DCT transmission from the Ford GT supercar.

Also comparing a GT to a Hellcat is a stupid comment, Ford don't yet offer a car to compete in that area, when they do it shall be GT500. :)

Right now its compared to whats available and the A10 18 is far quicker than its horsepower and torque should be, which is down to the A10. :)

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
The GT350 (R or non-R) is good for nothing if you are focused on 11seconds of driving vice a track. Meet at Spa or the Ring and see what it is good for. Include braking, cornering, and shift points in the calculus.

"Quick" in reference to a 1/4 mile is different than capable in context of a track. Each relies on driver skill, and a manual transmission requires even more of that on either course.

As for stupid comments (I prefer illogical) I think the same of a comment that compares a track car to a 1/4 mile car. Two different animals made by the same manufature for two different sectors of the market.

The GT350 does not lack torque. It has it placed where it is intended for that car.
Sponsored