Sponsored

Drag Race: 350R vs MY18

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
[ame]

Great a very fair video, same track, same day, same driver as owns both cars.

Can't deny that the A10 makes an 18 quicker than a 350R, you can tell from the in car in drag mode it shifts so hard its chirping tyres even in 5th gear bone stock.
Sponsored

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
I was under the impression the 350r is setup more for corners than drag where as a standard gt is a drag monster not so good at the corners.

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was under the impression the 350r is setup more for corners than drag where as a standard gt is a drag monster not so good at the corners.
Its still a 530HP V8 with a better manual than regular GT. Proven by it returning a 12.2@118mph, thats better than any stock GT, even an 18 stock GT with manual which current fastest is around 12.4@116mph.

A car setup for corners can still be quick in straight lines, all the 350 gives up is a little torque down low which can impede the launch in 1st gear, but can also benefit it too if prevents wheelspin.

Simple fact is that A10 can't be compete with, its like having another 100HP kind of proven by how owners are now seeing high elevens at around 120mph stock and into the 10's with basic bolt-ons.

Put an A10 in the 350R and that car would be insane, of course if Ford ever put an automatic in the Shelby it will most likely be the DCT 7 speed which sacrifices some of the straight line acceleration for a more connected experience as the DCT is a lot sharper on the paddles but less smooth being dual clutch. Am sure Ford's DCT will appear in more of their regular sporty cars soon.

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Those gear changes in Drag Mode are brutal. Ford charges £1500 for the A10 in the Ecoboost but £2000 for the GT. I'm wondering if they are anticipating knackered gearboxes within the warranty period for the 444bhp GT.

I get mine tomorrow but will break her in before trying full throttle drag mode to break her up.
No, they just know V8's will sell better, they just want to make more money.

The Mustang will not trouble the A10 at all, as the Mustang is the least powerful car the A10 has been used in. The Camaro has 650HP and 650 foot pounds, zero issues with the A10 in that car, the Raptor also has more power and torque, again no issues.

The A10 like the A6 should be a rock solid transmission and also be able to handle big power with no problems. :)

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It was a bit tongue in cheek.

I much prefer torque convertor autos over dual clutch gearboxes. For everyday tootling about the TC boxes are just so smooth and it looks like this TC A10 can also shift like a DCT when it wants to.

My extra bill of £4,300 for the A10 '18 (plus £1,600 for the Magneride) over my '17 cancelled order is most likely worth it. Can't wait to try that active exhaust.
You see I've always preferred dual clutch style, particular DCT and PDK.

DCT for the speed selector been independent of any other car mode, though newer DCT has less options now, but yes they can be a little jerky still due to no torque converter but are vastly better than days of SMG.

PDK is really spot on, sports plus the paddles are there, so instant its like rapid fire. Only issue with PDK is the gearing is still stupidly long but they are still on traditional 6 and 7 speeds and I found hitting 80mph in 2nd and 115mph in 3rd just silly, I mean like 2nd gear is all you need and with paddles its nice to change gear a bit. Porsche seriously need shorter final drives or need to throw in another couple of gears.

I found the A6 OK but weak on paddles, for me its not responsive enough and in full auto it does not kick down quick enough, you learn the box and learn how to use it due to the weaknesses but then it becomes OK and quite fun.

Watched countless video's now and spoke with owners and the A10 is more responsive but still not that snappy on the paddle shifters, there is a delay, not as much as A6 though so I think they will be fine, it is however much quicker in drive or sport auto as press the gas a little harder and it instantly drops to a lower gear, only issue comes if you floor it then it will drop 2-3 gears and that causes a delay, but in all honesty even the best automatics have a slight delay on a full kickdown.

As such I've always preferred the dual clutch setups over full automatics, until I got the Jaaag, they have really mastered and fine tuned ZF8 so well that on paddles its as quick and as sharp as the PDK pretty much but in full auto you appreciate the torque converter making it effortless. Its a fantastic gearbox. My only complaint is like Porsche, even though they got 8 gears they are tuned for economy instead of making it accelerate even quicker. 5th is around 160 and 6th around 200, whereas 7th is 250 and 8th 320 purely economy tuned. If Jaaaag had tuned the gears more like Ford did for performance my god it would be crazy fast if 4th, 5th and 6th were a bit closer ratio wise, but hey ho there really is no perfect transmission on the market and one mans perfect is another mans nightmare.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Like most flappy paddle owners I use mine about once a year! Ten years of owning flapsters and I just don't use them. My loss I suppose.
I used to use them all the time, which I kind of shows how the dual clutch setups are not so great in full auto mode, that I would always switch to manual mode.

In the Jaaag I will quite happily leave it in D, just seems to know what I want, but admittedly it still gets put on the paddles almost daily and dynamic mode as when I want to drive it I want full control, no surprising downshifts, no auto upshifts and I want to select the gear I want, which it allows. :)

MrWolf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
MY2018 Magnetic Auto GT
Ive had the car for a week and have pretty much only driven using the flappy paddles. A lot more fun and control (especially during my break in period). Surprised how much I enjoyed going through the gears (even though there are 10 of them). Much more enjoyable and feel a lot more involved then my A6.

In Drive mode, changing gears with the paddles was on par with my 16 A6 (not very quick a quite laid back. Put it in sport+ however, when driving with a bit of speed, the gear changes are very quick. The A10 is still trying to learn my driving style so Im sure it will further improve.

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ive had the car for a week and have pretty much only driven using the flappy paddles. A lot more fun and control (especially during my break in period). Surprised how much I enjoyed going through the gears (even though there are 10 of them). Much more enjoyable and feel a lot more involved then my A6.

In Drive mode, changing gears with the paddles was on par with my 16 A6 (not very quick a quite laid back. Put it in sport+ however, when driving with a bit of speed, the gear changes are very quick. The A10 is still trying to learn my driving style so Im sure it will further improve.
Yes more gears within reason when you have paddles is more fun, makes the car feel smaller, faster and of course more gears makes the car faster in real world too, particular with an automatic.

I love pulling paddles in my M3 and SVR, the A10 will be great as even more paddle pulls. :D

Problem for me I'd want to drive the car in drag mode for the harsher shifting, but keep the suspension in sport or track mode which I do not think is possible as they are linked and can't be set independently. Unless MyMode will let you create your own true custom mode which for me would be in the dry throttle in track, gearbox in drag, suspension in sport or track and steering normal. In wet I'd be happy with just basic wet or normal modes as you need compliance and smoother shifting in the wet to keep the car on the black stuff.

Had the crazy idea of selling the M3 and buying an 18 and turning the 18 into a full on lightweight strippped track/fun car. But cannot part with M3, not yet anyway still throwing money at it and still enjoying it but an MY18 A10 if could get weight down to around 1500kg would be quite a handy piece of kit.

MrWolf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
MY2018 Magnetic Auto GT
Unfortunately, as you mentioned, the shifting is linked to drive mode (as is the Magneride).

SVT-DADDY

World's heaviest S550
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Those gear changes in Drag Mode are brutal. Ford charges £1500 for the A10 in the Ecoboost but £2000 for the GT. I'm wondering if they are anticipating knackered gearboxes within the warranty period for the 444bhp GT.

I get mine tomorrow but will break her in before trying full throttle drag mode to break her up.
It's the half shafts that are breaking.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unfortunately, as you mentioned, the shifting is linked to drive mode (as is the Magneride).
Yeah shame as I love brutal shifting in a car, why I like my M3 so much as in S6 mode its brutal on upshifts and very loud on downshifts.

Mag in drag mode is soft in front, firm in rear so be interesting how it tackles corners in that mode, probably not recommended but could make it quite oversteer balance with front being overly soft which some may like, but maybe too much brake dive.

An owner who is confident in their abilities will have to test it out. :D :lol:

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Will take nothing away from the GT with the AT--awesome car. However, this is a strange comparison since the GT350 is designed for road courses rather than drag strips. Wouldn't expect the 350 to out drag a 5.0. GT359 torque and HP are high end (3500+) rather than low end. Key is to get her to 6500-7500 RPM and keep her there, which explains the higher trap speed...

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Will take nothing away from the GT with the AT--awesome car. However, this is a strange comparison since the GT350 is designed for road courses rather than drag strips. Wouldn't expect the 350 to out drag a 5.0. GT359 torque and HP are high end (3500+) rather than low end. Key is to get her to 6500-7500 RPM and keep her there, which explains the higher trap speed...
Your only below 3500 in drag racing in first gear anyway, so top-end power is just as important and the Shelby is very strong in the top-end.

Its more a point of what a modern automatic can do for acceleration.

Best comparison would be an MY18 M6 vs MY18 A10 but no one has compared the two on the same day, same driver to my knowledge.

Simple facts are A10 MY18 is a mighty quick car, with most of its performance boost coming from the A10, though of course its additional power and torque help the 18 too, but the A6 or M6 would never have got it into 11's stock, the A10 has made that feat possible. :)

Steeda UK

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.steeda.co.uk
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs

dddd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XR6T
So just to clarify, are you saying if you had the car set in track mode the suspension will automatically go to the firmest mode and cannot be altered to a softer mode ??
If so I thought "my mode" was suppose to enable you to customise everthing
Sponsored