Sponsored

Don't bother to order

martin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost; coupe; guard; dark-saddle; MT; PP; Nav;
I went to the the 2 large dealers in my state. Neither has a single new Mustang in stock. The pre-owned inventory is feeble. The one salesperson told me that ordering now, don't expect any delivery this calendar year. This is because of the chip shortage. Also, don't expect 1 cent below MSRP. Also, the 2022 will be in theory replacing the 2021 by then
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I went to the the 2 large dealers in my state. Neither has a single new Mustang in stock.
just because your state 'sucks' (narrowly defined in Mustang pricing/availability) doesn't mean there aren't 15 or more states up and down the coast that have current inventory and offering double-digit discounts on them...

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
just because your state 'sucks' (narrowly defined in Mustang pricing/availability) doesn't mean there aren't 15 or more states up and down the coast that have current inventory and offering double-digit discounts on them...
OP’s point that if you want to order your car, reconsider due to the expected wait time.

But if you’re willing to compromise on your build (unless you’re lucky) and willing to travel there are plenty of new cars out there.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Matt, I think you’ve missed your calling. You could be the
Tom McParland of M6G. :like: :clap:

dfanucci

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT / 68 Mustang Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
There is some truth to the OP's post. Over here on the left side of the U.S. Mustangs can be found, but you're gonna pay for them. The dealer I bought mine from has two 21 GT PP1's on his lot, and he won't even talk to you if you want a nickel under MSRP. He says in his 30 years of owning a dealership, he's never seen the mouthwatering for Mustangs that is taking place.

Sponsored

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
I got a thing in the mail the other day from the dealer I bought my car from. They want to buy it back from me and pay top dollar! I don't think they'll want to give me all the dollars underneath the top one though...

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:

tnk_2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang GT, 401A, auto, CS, Ford SS.
Unless you are desperate for a mustang now. I would wait. The chips shortage because of the car manufacturers did not order much during the pandemic. Most chips manufacturers run 24/7 even during the pandemic. I work at one of them and we did not shutdown at all. A wafer can has hundreds of chips on them so the give it a few months and the chips shortage will soon be over.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I still ordered a Mach 1 even if it's going to take a bit longer. At the price I got it at for a brand new model, I can't complain considering every dealer around me either wants MSRP or ADM on any new Mach 1.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I personally. Unless I was wanting a special edition like Mach etc I would wait for new redesign, leftovers that are around will get sold out at discount and new ones may want instead

Sponsored

J-orange

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT vert
I sometimes wonder if this chip "shortage" is a way for dealerships to make as much money per sales transaction. I realize that manufactures make more money the more they sell. Starting to think that dealerships will cut back on purchasing inventory so that they create the sense that there is a car shortage and demand higher prices from the customer.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
any marginal "profit" being extracted by the dealer in response to the shortage is massively dwarfed by the loss of sales volume. Dealer after dealer I drive by their lots are bare. It's amazing.

DemonGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Mustang GT, 2021 Mustang GT PP1
I personally. Unless I was wanting a special edition like Mach etc I would wait for new redesign, leftovers that are around will get sold out at discount and new ones may want instead
There's always going to be a percentage of people who dislike the new redesign. Once they switch over you can not "order" one anymore so buying what is on the lot is your only option. For those not able to order and really not liking the redesign, i can see dealers staying at MSRP on leftovers after the redesign.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I'm assuming Intel plant? May as well be cranking out vacuum tubes :crackup:

Putting the shortage in perspective, Apple will sell more phones in a month than the entire auto industry combined sells cars in year. Who do you think draws more water with TSMC? Speaking of water, Taiwan is still experiencing a record drought.

This is not going to just go away in a couple months.
And Apple is probably a billion times easier to work with than the auto industry, which is like Walmart in comparison.

I'd be surprised if it's back to normal by the end of the year for the automakers. I'm a little freaked out about ordering a '22 at this point, to be honest.