Sponsored

Do your neighbors complain about your exhaust?

CB

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT, Black, PP
A friend did that to his Chevy 1500. It was lifted so I'm lying there looking underneath. All they did was install a loud 'muffler' and Y off into two pipes. Damned thing wasn't even true dual exhaust.
Sponsored

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
I hope not. I just installed a Roush axle-back and today my X-pipe should be here and installed. The Roush isn't too bad, I can coast in without anyone really hearing me, however I don't know how it will be after the X-pipe install.

15wile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
Some people actually enjoy the sound for themselves, personally. Not everyone does it for the attention. I have no issue pulling in and out of a meet. I don't feel the need to rev my car everywhere I go. I just love the sound when I'm in the middle of the woods on some back road and it's just screaming.
I spent a lot of money getting this f*cking V8, and I want to hear it roar, damnit. What everyone else thinks of it... I don't really care.

In all seriousness, though, with this trend toward hybrids, and electric cars, and smaller motors, I like having a car that sounds obnoxious and old school. Just because.

LOUD EXHAUST SYSTEM = LOOK AT ME!!!!!!!

Now mind you, we all have insecurities making us need to be noticed. Maybe love was withheld from us as a child; who knows.
As far as attention goes, it gets more negative attention than positive anyway. Most people seem to think Mustang drivers are borderline retarded. One person once asked me why I wouldn't buy a proper car, like a BMW or a Benz, or a Lexus. Luxury brand drivers look down on you. Ricers hate you. Non-Car people think you're an obnoxious asshole or a foolhardy child. Camaro drivers are too drunk on Miller Lite to notice your existence.

No, my friend, if getting praise, envy, and positive attention is your goal, a Mustang is not for you, regardless of the exhaust you choose.

Sponsored

UOP Shadow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 GT, 50 LE Kona blue
I installed the Magna Flow Competition axle-backs on our 2015 5.0. They are deep and rumbly. I would guess that they are only about 10 decibels louder than stock because the resonator is still on the car.

My neighbors are a bunch of gear-heads and they LOVE the exhaust note of the MFCs. It's loud enough to hear. It's deep. And it isn't raspy.

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
As far as attention goes, it gets more negative attention than positive anyway. Most people seem to think Mustang drivers are borderline retarded. One person once asked me why I wouldn't buy a proper car, like a BMW or a Benz, or a Lexus. Luxury brand drivers look down on you. Ricers hate you. Non-Car people think you're an obnoxious asshole or a foolhardy child. Camaro drivers are too drunk on Miller Lite to notice your existence.

No, my friend, if getting praise, envy, and positive attention is your goal, a Mustang is not for you, regardless of the exhaust you choose.
Man, I have literally experienced NONE of the negativity you are describing. All my Mustang has ever received has been compliments. I find it odd that people are dissing you and your car.

15wile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
Man, I have literally experienced NONE of the negativity you are describing. All my Mustang has ever received has been compliments. I find it odd that people are dissing you and your car.
Might depend on where you live. Around here, you're a nobody unless you drive a BMW, Benz, Lexus, or Acura that isn't older than 3 years. And even then, you're suspect if you don't drive an exotic.

Florida is full of people who want to look rich (regardless of whether or not they actually are).

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
While it may be like that for you I have had a completely opposite experience. I get a thumb-up or whiplash looks every day I drive and I haven't had any talk trash about my ride...not to my face anyways (as if I'd care)

And at least once a week or more I get a compliment on it.

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
Might depend on where you live. Around here, you're a nobody unless you drive a BMW, Benz, Lexus, or Acura that isn't older than 3 years. And even then, you're suspect if you don't drive an exotic.

Florida is full of people who want to look rich (regardless of whether or not they actually are).
I can see that. Down here in my part of Louisiana, most of these country folk see a Mustang and think you are rich and successful. Everyone loves big trucks and sportscars in my neck of the woods.

Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I

As far as attention goes, it gets more negative attention than positive anyway. Most people seem to think Mustang drivers are borderline retarded. One person once asked me why I wouldn't buy a proper car, like a BMW or a Benz, or a Lexus. Luxury brand drivers look down on you. Ricers hate you. Non-Car people think you're an obnoxious asshole or a foolhardy child. Camaro drivers are too drunk on Busch Lite to notice your existence.

Fixed.

StoplightWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 STi, 2016 Camaro SS, 2016 Infiniti QX50
None of my neighbors have said anything negative, but I usually don't take the car out of the garage between 9pm - 10am, anyway. I also try to keep speeds under 30mph through the neighborhood.

theduke

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Christopher
Vehicle(s)
'88 Saleen Conv, '11 Brembo GT, '17 Premium PP
Man I hate to say it but you’re not in the right in this situation.
That combo is loud as shit and we all know that.
It’s a game that car guys play all the time. How loud is too loud, then do we NEED it to be that loud, and what do we gain by that in the end?
Maybe it’s because I’m in my mid 40’s and have been playing that game for well over 20 years but I have this nerve endings scale that I use to gauge everything.
Is it worth the nerve endings I’ll spend constantly worrying about loud start-ups, pissed off neighbors, cops harassing me etc...just to have it THAT much louder than keeping cats on the car? Not one bit.
You really think the average person who hears your car says “ man that car sounds SO good! He definitely has a cat delete” Nosir! You're catering to the small percentage of us enthusiasts who appreciate the sorta thing. They know nothing. Loud is loud to them either way and all you're doing is calling unwarranted bad attention to yourself.
Yes it’s your car, and yes you should be able to do anything you want with it but the law is the law and you’re the only one who will suffer in the end.
My ’88 was crazy loud. 347, cammed, long tubes, off road pipes, 2 chambers..I ran no front plate in a state where it was required. I cant begin to tell you how many times I’d get pulled over doing nothing and have to throw the plate up in the window pretending it was there the whole time and he just didn’t see it blah blah. After awhile it was like why the hell am I doing this to myself?! Spending nerve endings and getting nothing out of it but hassled.
Let’s say you go to the local pub and have a few. You’re still under the legal limit but driving back you get pulled over because that exhaust caught his ear. You have to go through the whole “no officer I haven’t been drinking” BS. Then he asks if the exhaust is legal, he might notice it isn’t but then also might not. If your exhaust is legal and so are you, you're fine. If not you're screwed. Either way it’s a constant nerve endings drain with little to no payback. Now what? Is it really worth it?
If you still think it is then just go about your business and quit airing out what your neighbors think, but you have to know you’re doing this to yourself.

Bonefish

FKNGFST
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Shelby GT350 TY
Funny...I could give 2 shits if my neighbors don't like my exhaust. I don't like the fact that they don't bag their grass or pull the weeds out of their yard so I have to so, mine don't look bad. I live in a townhome. Luckily my neighbors are pretty cool. The one says they hear my start my car in their house. It's a GT500 with LT, Catless Hpipe with Cam's so needless to say it's pretty loud. I start it in the garage and let it warm up...when I leave I don't usually hit it...however when I'm coming home I hit it so, momma knows daddys on his way. I'm sure several people know I'm coming. I don't do it real early or real late though. The new GT will have a pretty loud exhaust but, not headers or catless. It's called living in a neighborhood close to people. Deal with it or move to the country....

And as of others have said...if you want to tell me what to do with my car and property start paying for it..then we can talk. Until then STFU.

CB

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT, Black, PP
I do believe it's only a matter of time when municipalities realize the gold mine that's in ticketing for having loud pipes. They only need to instruct their police force to listen and start writing.
Sponsored